43.08%
56.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Garth Brooks 5 DVD Box Set (Walmart Exclusive) 11/01

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This Is Supposed To Be Under $20 In Stores!!!!

From SamsClub.com: "One artist. One decade. One hundred million albums sold."
Only one artist in US history has achieved such a milestone, and this artist is Garth Brooks. Join the Artist of the Decade as he travels through time and around the world to make music history. His high energy concerts, riveting videos and obvious love for the fans & the music set him apart as a genuine entertainer, a genuine American icon.

This box set features over seven hours of history-making performances with 15 music videos (including three never-before-seen videos), bonus songs, photo galleries and more. The set is presented in a Limited Edition Collector's Tin.
Includes:
NBC Special - This Is Garth Brooks: Reunion Arena, Dallas, Texas, September 1991
"Not Counting You"
"Rodeo"
"Two of a Kind, Workin' on a Full House"
"We Bury the Hatchet"
"The Thunder Rolls"
"The River"
"Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)"
"Papa Loved Mama"
"If Tomorrow Never Comes"
"Shameless"
"Friends in Low Places"
"The Dance"
"You May Be Right"
Bonus songs:
"What She's Doing Now"
"Keep Your Hands to Yourself"

NBC Special - This Is Garth Brooks, Too!: Texas Stadium, Irving, Texas, September 1993
"Standing Outside The Fire"
"Papa Loved Mama"
"That Summer"
"American Honky-Tonk Bar Association"
"The River"
"The Thunder Rolls"
"We Shall be Free"
"Kickin' And Screamin'"
"One Night A Day"
"Shameless"
"Friends in Low Places"
"The Dance"
"Ain't Goin' Down (Til the Sun Comes Up)"
Bonus songs:
"Callin' Baton Rouge"

NBC Special - Live from Dublin: Croke Park, Dublin, Ireland, May 1997
"The Old Stuff"
'Beaches of Cheyenne"
"Unanswered Prayers"
“Tearin’ It Up (And Burnin’ It Down)”
"The River"
"We Shall be Free"
"Callin' Baton Rouge"
"Ireland"
"Friends in Low Places"
"That Ol' Wind"
"The Fever"
"American Pie"
Bonus songs:
"She's Gonna Make It"
"Cowboy Cadillac"

HBO Special - Live from Central Park: Central Park, New York, New York, August 1997
"Rodeo"
"Papa Loved Mama"
"The River"
"Callin' Baton Rouge"
"Shameless"
"Ain't Goin' Down (Til the Sun Comes Up)" (w/Billy Joel)
"New York State of Mind" (w/B.Joel & Jim Horn on sax)
"The Fever"
"Friends in Low Places"
"The Dance"
"American Pie" (w/Don McClean)
"Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)"
"You May Be Right" (w/Billy Joel)
Bonus songs:
"Unanswered Prayers"
"We Shall be Free"

Video Greatest Hits: 1989-2005
"The Thunder Rolls"
“Callin’ Baton Rouge”
"The Red Strokes"
“I Don’t Have To Wonder” (unreleased)
"We Shall be Free"
"When You Come Back To Me Again"
“Tearin’ It Up (And Burnin’ It Down)”

"Standing Outside The Fire"
“Anonymous” (unreleased)
“Good Ride Cowboy”
"The Change" (unreleased version with Garth in it)
"Wrapped Up In You"
"The Dance"

Last edited by bigjim25; 11-04-06 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I hope this sells better than that CD box set walmart had. A year after it came out, we couldn't give them away. Good price though.
Old 10-05-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
I hope this sells better than that CD box set walmart had. A year after it came out, we couldn't give them away. Good price though.
I never knew who that CD box set was for. Which Garth fan had managed to miss buying any of his last four albums? This one is DVDs, which presumably nobody has (he hasn't released any official DVDs except the one in the CD set). It seems like overkill, but for $20, I'm sure they'll sell pretty well.

At a higher price I might have passed (Garth has certainly cooled off in recent years by his lack of material and near complete absence from performing), but at that price, it's hard to pass up. I might have paid $20 for the This Is Garth Brooks NBC special alone.

Any details on what's included?
Old 10-05-06, 08:08 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only no but fuck no.
Old 10-05-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Garth and I already have most of his CDs so his CD collection was worthless to me. For $20 I'll get his DVDs. He's fun to watch.
Old 10-06-06, 09:10 AM

Anyone have setlists from these shows?
Old 10-06-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, this isn't just an exclusive tin, it means it is exclusive as in it will only be available at walmart, right?
Old 10-06-06, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Also, this isn't just an exclusive tin, it means it is exclusive as in it will only be available at walmart, right?
Yeah. Garth struck up an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart. All his catalog stuff is exclusively at Wal-Mart. At least it's cheap.

Can anyone make out what it says on the side in the picture here?

edit: Damn, Walmart took off the picture that had the sleeve and sticker on the side of the tin. Must have shown something not official, I guess.

Last edited by Decker; 10-06-06 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-06-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I wish an artist I liked would do something like this.
Old 10-06-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so, preoder $19.99 and normally and instore it will be $25.88?
Old 10-06-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I wish an artist I liked would do something like this.
Really? An exclusive deal with Wal-Mart is just the sort of thing that would make me stop liking an artist.
Old 10-06-06, 03:56 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
This will be mine on 11/1. I am just glad it's not coming out on Black Friday like the cd boxset did.
Old 10-06-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
I never knew who that CD box set was for.
It was for his obsession with records. It was released at that cheap a price just to try to move more units. He wants to surpass Elvis in album sales (and may have already) and is trying to surpass The Beatles. I don't know if the dvd set will apply to a different record but I am sure the low price is meant to move units...not make himself a profit.

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Not only no but fuck no.
And by the way...ditto on Filmmaker's statement.
Old 10-06-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yikes. A lot of hate for Garth by a couple people here. What gives?
Old 10-06-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Peep
Really? An exclusive deal with Wal-Mart is just the sort of thing that would make me stop liking an artist.
Why, because they sold out to The Man?

It looks like a pretty cool boxset, but I don't really like Garth Brooks, so yeah. Probably won't be getting it.
Old 10-07-06, 01:13 AM

Thanks so much for the info, bigjim. That looks to be a VERY impressive set. Each of those albums could be released separately and moved a fair number of copies. There are other commercial artists who slowly roll out their catalogs and flood the market with concert videos season after season :cough:u2:cough: Whatever the reason, to put out all four of his TV specials in one set and charge only twenty bucks for it is pretty generous to his fans. Maybe he's making a ton on the back end from Wal-Mart, but you can't accuse the guy of price gauging or milking his fans.

And one word about the content here : True story. In the early 90's I lived in KC. America's heartland. Everyone around was into country and Garth. I hated all that stuff. One night, out of sheer boredom I watched the NBC special This Is Garth Brooks, not knowing any songs except Friends In Low Places and Shameless (as a Billy Joel fan). I couldn't believe it, but I was hooked. I thought he was an amazing live performer back then -- vibrant and totally dynamic. It totally changed my opinion on him. I'm still not a country fan (save for the Dixie Chicks, haven't bought a country album since Garth's last one), but that show made my a fan of Garth's. I'm okay with whatever flames that gets me here -- I gotta call 'em as I see 'em.

And as far as the explanation of the last box set, I could totally see that. I recall Garth being obsessed with numbers and what a big deal he and his people made when he passed Billy Joel as top album seller for a solo artist. He may well be targeting The Beatles, and if so, that's just sad. He's a major commercial country artist, but he's not even in the same stratisphere as The Beatles anywhere but in albums sales. (Beside, LOVE comes out next month. Hope it moves millions of copies).
Old 10-07-06, 05:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mod note: Everyone please remember is NOT ALLOWED in these threads so keep your negative comments to yourself.
Old 10-07-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
It was for his obsession with records. It was released at that cheap a price just to try to move more units. He wants to surpass Elvis in album sales (and may have already) and is trying to surpass The Beatles. I don't know if the dvd set will apply to a different record but I am sure the low price is meant to move units...not make himself a profit.
Well...I guess the album sales theory would explain Chris Gaines...
Old 10-07-06, 07:18 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
nemein, assuming the "negative comments" refer to mine, I have to express yet again substantial confusion on how dialogues are meant to proceed here at DVDTalk. The OP's question is a will or won't question--to me, that means he is open to and appreciative of discussion both pro-Garth Brooks and con. If you see it differently, please explain, because the way the thread has been set up, I don't see how there's a possibility for thread-crapping.

whoopdido, for me it's less about a hatred for Brooks himself than a deap-seated, virulent and vitriolic hatred for country music in general (yes, the guy who was born raised in Oklahoma nearly goes into Mary Hart seizures when any country song is played, irony of ironies). With Brooks representing something like the Elvis of country music, that makes him a prime target for my loathing. It's nothing personal about the man--it's about his chosen craft.
Old 10-07-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
I was thinking about the cheap package with lots of material part of it, not the Wally exclusive part of it.
Old 10-07-06, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you see it differently, please explain, because the way the thread has been set up, I don't see how there's a possibility for thread-crapping.
Actually it was more of a preemptive strike to keep under control (that and the fact it was done at 6 in the morning ). Since it is a thread about whether you're going to buy/not buy, comments along those lines are fine. Additional color commentary is not needed though... aka there are ways of disagreeing w/o provoking
Old 10-07-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
Well...I guess the album sales theory would explain Chris Gaines...
It's a shame that people can't appreciate the Chris Gaines CD. Country fans wouldn't accept it because Garth wasn't playing country music, and non-country fans wouldn't accept it because it was Garth Brooks.

Personally, I found it to be a very creative and entertaining CD that could have been much bigger if fans weren't so narrow-minded and critics weren't ready to heap derision on Brooks for something other entertainers have done in the past to great acclaim (Ziggy Stardust, anyone?)
Old 10-07-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's the fact the he created an entirely new persona with a fake back story, that people thought was stupid. There was even a fake Behind The Music on Chris Gaines. Just stupid, regardless of how good or bad the music was.
Old 10-07-06, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemein
Actually it was more of a preemptive strike to keep under control (that and the fact it was done at 6 in the morning ). Since it is a thread about whether you're going to buy/not buy, comments along those lines are fine. Additional color commentary is not needed though... aka there are ways of disagreeing w/o provoking
Fair enough; thanks a lot for replying.
Old 10-07-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I think it's the fact the he created an entirely new persona with a fake back story, that people thought was stupid. There was even a fake Behind The Music on Chris Gaines. Just stupid, regardless of how good or bad the music was.
Well the intent was to have the CD be the soundtrack for a movie they were making so, looking at it that way, it makes more sense. Then when the pblic pretty much shit on the CD, all other plans were scrapped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.