Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Creep - A letdown

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Creep - A letdown

I rented Creep because I heard some positive things online about it. The horror movies from the states have been pretty crappy lately (though things are starting to look better), so I've been checking for stuff from other countries to satisfy my horror itch. Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Tale of Two Sisters, High Tension, and even Wolf Creek lend credence that other countries are not only kicking our ass in math and science, but our horror flicks as well.

I can stomach bad horror movies and just chalk it up to the fact that for every great horror movie, there are 9 shitty ones. What I have a hard time with is things (in this case a movie) that fails to live up to its promise. This is why Creep let me down so much. This movie had every single reason to be excellent and a classic. It should have been held right alongside Descent in leading the charge for the new Euro-horror movement. But instead all it did is come up short.

The premise was awesome. Nothing is quite as creepy as a place that is usually full of people being empty. Empty schools, empty hospitals (Session 9!), empty train stations...so it had that working for it. The movie had a great atmosphere and was shot beautifully. It had a fantastic leading lady in Franka Potente. She's been great in nearly everything I've seen her in. So why didn't it work?

Yeah, I can't really put my finger on it. There were some good scares, but I just came away from this flick thinking there should have been...more. Maybe it was the monster. I enjoyed the movie more before he was revealed on screen. They never totally explained what his situation was, but they gave enough clues for the audience to form their own backstory. All in all, he just wasn't that great of a Boogeyman IMHO. But that wasn't the only reason I was letdown.

Does anyone else have lukewarm feelings about this flick? Or maybe I'm just off my rocker and this flick is awesome.
Old 10-05-06, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't particularly care for it, either. It had some nice moments here and there but I just couldn't get past the stupidity of the main character.
Old 10-05-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
There's a "Creep" thread on this very page:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=475672
Old 10-06-06, 12:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Yeah, I can't really put my finger on it. There were some good scares, but I just came away from this flick thinking there should have been...more. Maybe it was the monster. I enjoyed the movie more before he was revealed on screen. They never totally explained what his situation was, but they gave enough clues for the audience to form their own backstory. All in all, he just wasn't that great of a Boogeyman IMHO. But that wasn't the only reason I was letdown.
I just saw this and I have to agree with your comments here. For me, if the
Spoiler:
'creep' would have been a straightforward psycho I would have enjoyed this more. Or even if it had been an all out inhuman creature I would have liked that better as well. But the middle ground approach just didn't work for me here.

Part of the problem for me was that this felt like two different movies fused together. There's the suspenseful 'subway slasher movie' and the
Spoiler:
grossout 'chased by a mutant freak through the sewers'
movie. The problem is, I think either of these elements would have worked better as the focus of its own film. The subway stuff was good and suspenseful, but we lost all that when the second half kicks in.

And with the second half, it felt undercooked. They implied this guy/thing was down there for decades, yet why is it just striking now? I'm not one who likes a lot of explanations for the big bads in my horror movies, but in this case I think it might've helped. If you're going to hint at a backstory then you might as well a step further and give us some sort of motivations behind this thing other than
Spoiler:
"he's an abandoned freak". Heck, I think the story of the doctor and the experiments and how this creep came to be would have been more interesting than a boring sewer chase between the freak and a girl too stupid to finish him off after several opportunities.
Old 10-06-06, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
There's a "Creep" thread on this very page:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=475672

Geezus, I'm an idiot.
Old 10-08-06, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could not agree more with this. I'd heard positive things, but I thought it was just boring and kind of aimless. Eh.