Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sonic Youth concert last night (9/30)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-06, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a great short concert last night at the Orange County Museum of Art (too many Rather Ripped songs but they are good so it's ok) and I was surprised to see Mark Ibold (Pavement bassist/the guy who smiles all the time) on stage with them for the whole show!

Anyone been to a SY concert this tour? I just want to know if Ibold was with them.
Old 10-01-06, 12:00 PM

i saw them open for Pearl Jam in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.. if i remember , Ibold was with them back then.. but i'm not 100% sure, because i really didnt hang around for their entire set.. they're not my type of music
Old 10-01-06, 01:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ibold has been with Sonic Youth for this past tour with Pearl Jam. Saw them in San Francisco. The set was far too short. That was my fifth time seeing them.
Old 10-02-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ibold's been touring with them all this year.

At Bonnaroo this summer in TN, both Ibold and Steven Malkmus were on stage for the encore: a blazing version of "Expressway to Yr. Skull". This was sort of a slacker-rock wet dream....

Excellent show, there's plenty of torrents out there with it in FLAC.
Old 10-02-06, 12:01 PM

I saw them on Sept. 3 in Boston. Great set, but for a band with that much history and so many great songs, I was really disappointed with how short they played and the number of songs from Rather Ripped. As the OP stated, I think Rather Ripped is a great album, but I wish they had played more from their earlier albums.

Boston Setlist:
Candle
Reena - Rather Ripped
Incinerate - Rather Ripped
Skip Tracer
What A Waste - Rather Ripped
Teenage Riot
Do You Believe In Rapture? - Rather Ripped
Turquoise Boy - Rather Ripped
100%
Rats - Rather Ripped
Jams Run Free - Rather Ripped
Pink Steam - Rather Ripped
Or - Rather Ripped
------
The Neutral - Rather Ripped
The World Looks Red
------
Shaking Hell

83% of Rather Ripped played during one show.
63% of entire setlist from Rather Ripped.
Old 10-02-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
They always play most, if not all, of their current album. Nothing new.
Old 10-02-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Strange. They used to play freakin' marathons (especially since their encores used to just be spiralling noise jams for 30 minutes).
Old 10-03-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Strange. They used to play freakin' marathons (especially since their encores used to just be spiralling noise jams for 30 minutes).
(warning, suspected indie cred name dropping ahead)

I saw them in about 1990 at a free all ages show in a very small club. Bob Bert's band at the time ("Bewitched"?) opened. J Mascis showed up (this was in Northhampton Ma) and did some tunes with his old Deep Wound cronies. SY played for four hours, the entire time having Doogie Howser reruns playing softly through the PA. The best concert I've ever been to.
Old 10-03-06, 10:15 AM

It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to, but the only downside was they only played about 1:00 or 1:20. I guess I'm spoiled by Grateful Dead shows where you get two full hour and a half sets and then an encore.
Old 10-03-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
I saw them a couple years ago at House Of Blues at Mandalay Bay and they played about 2 hours. Thurston Moore politely explained that they had to abide by a house curfew after an encore.

Also, since SY is more like Sonic Middle-age now, I'm just glad they still rock, so I don't mind shorter shows (and I'm not exactly young anymore either).
Old 10-03-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw 'em twice during the Washing Machine tour (once at Lolla). Seeing them perform "The Diamond Sea" is one of the highlights of all my concert-going.
Old 10-03-06, 06:13 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw them once during the tour for "Murray St." at the Metro in Chicago, and I too was surprised how sort of "conventional" the concert was: Every song (or maybe all but one song; can't quite remember) off the new album, a few older songs sprinkled throughout, done in a little over an hour. It was still an excellent show, but I was expecting it to be more epic, with long jams. I think "Karen Revisited" was the only song that they kinda jammed on.

Last edited by sb5; 10-03-06 at 06:15 PM.