Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The John Ford, John Wayne Collection

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 12:17 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The John Ford, John Wayne Collection

I'm thinking about picking this up today, because it's $65 at Wal-mart. I was wanted to get the Searchers 2-disc SE, but I found out that this set is only $15-20 more. It's disgusting how expensive the Searchers set is, here in Canada, at about $45.

However, I read on www.amazon.ca that the Canadian version of the set does not contain the 2-disc Special Edition of Stagecoach, which is something that really annoys me. Is this true? Is the 2-disc Stagecoach even available here in Canada?

I'll still buy the set, but I wish it was included. I want to see all of those movies, so it's a good deal - especially when the Searchers set is so fucking expensive.
Old 09-29-06, 01:09 PM
Cool New Member

No Stagecoach

Yeah, Wick, there's no Stagecoach included. Something about the Canadian rights issues (don't know the specifics). At least you heard about it before buying it. I made the mistake of picking it up at HMV for $69.99 Cdn, only to realize after I got home and opened it that there was no Stagecoach. As far as I can tell, Canadian retailers are not stocking Stagecoach individually. However, Amazon.ca is selling Stagecoach by itself, so that's how I got it. Pretty ridiculous, though, as I had to spend $69.99+$26.00 for the complete set. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-06, 04:43 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the reply. I ended up picking it up on my way home from school. I couldn't find a copy in perfect condition, so I decided I'd settle for the one that was in the best condition.

I'll have to order Stagecoach off of Ebay.
Old 09-30-06, 10:37 AM

I think the problem is that Warner controls the distribution rights for Castle Hill films only in the U.S. The same problem came up with the Classic Comedies boxset a couple of years ago: To Be or Not to Be is also part of Castle Hill's library, and Warner couldn't distribute it in Cananda.

BTW, just a word of warning: The Searchers has been fiddled with for this DVD release. The colors are misregistered, and the day-for-night photography has been "corrected" and made darker. Apparently, the HD-DVD is slightly better, but I'm definitely irritated by the sloppy job Warner did on this release. The day-for-night stuff is almost unwatchable! (As opposed to how it looks in the docu on disc 2, where the day-for-night scenes are shown as they should appear.)
Old 10-01-06, 01:39 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the heads up.

I doubt it'll bother me too much, because I can usually look past these things. However, I'm sure it's annoying. I also have the film on VHS so, if I don't like how it looks on the DVD, I guess I can resort to that.
Old 10-01-06, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new release of 'The Searchers' is much sharper than the older 1997 DVD release, however, the colors are definitely off. If you are use to seeing this film, the new colors will be slightly jarring to look at....
Old 10-01-06, 01:43 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've only seen part of it, so it'll be like I'm watching it for my first time.