Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about cannibal holocaust

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-23-06, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide which version of Cannibal Holocaust I want to buy. I've decided I want to get the NTSC grindhouse dvd. I have a quick question though.

There seems to be 2 dvds out there by grindhouse. Same covers and all, except the first says "25th Anniversary Edition" on the top and the newer one says "Deluxe Edition" on the top.

I have done research and I know the one that says 25th Anniversary is 2 disks, and includes the UNCUT (road to hell sequence and all) version.

Now, I can't find much information on the "Deluxe Edition"... the one that doesnt say 25th Anniversary on the top. I saw it at Virgin megastore tonight, and it is infact 2 disks (even though amazon lists it as having one disk only...)

The question is, does this one that I saw at virgin (and want to buy,) include the fully uncut version like the 25th? Are there any differences?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Shane
Old 09-23-06, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 25th Anniversary had special packaging and was numbered to 11,111. When it showed up in stores and on doorsteps, it seems that several of the disc had come loose off the hubs. So no one exactly knows how many of that 11,111 was returned to the studio.

Grindhouse later re-issued the disc in regular keepcase packaging, but to my knowledge the disc are identical in both versions. I bought the 25th anniversary set, so I have no way to double check this....

however there is a very long discussion on the original disc, and some info on the reissue in the original thread.

Cannibal Holcaust U.S. release Finally...!!! (WARNING: graphic images)
Old 09-23-06, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
So no one exactly knows how many of that 11,111 was returned to the studio.
I e-mailed them & they had me just send in my loose 'damaged' disc & had a replacement to me in 2 weeks. I kept the same numbered case & everything.

But yeah other than 1 being a numbered edition, I don't believe theres any real difference. I think the discs are identacle as well.
Old 09-23-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, a whole lot of people felt very burned by this since we scrambled to get the pricey release only to have a limited edition run be put back out in a different case like a couple months later.
Old 09-23-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
Yeah, a whole lot of people felt very burned by this since we scrambled to get the pricey release only to have a limited edition run be put back out in a different case like a couple months later.
Then re-released in the NTSC R0 Australian version of the EXACT SAME DISKS which I bought from CD WOW for $14
Old 09-23-06, 07:20 AM

why would you want to own that crap? sure it's worth watching once but hardly worth owning. think that numbered edition is the best. sort of a green slipcase cover i think. all uk releases are cut.
Old 09-23-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by kevkev
why would you want to own that crap?
Speaking of crap

Just because it's not your cup-of-tea doesn't mean others don't enjoy the genre. One thing that my time on DVDTalk has taught me: No matter what the movie, there is at least one fan that loves it. It's what movie-watching is all about.

I strive to respect everyone's right to enjoy a movie regardless of my personal tastes and I would expect the same respect in return.
Old 09-23-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good call, Tom!

While Cannibal Holocaust isn't up there on my favorite movies list, I still own it and have seen it multiple times. It's worth owning for the extra features alone.
Old 09-23-06, 09:57 AM

i dont have a problem with animal cruelty, after all 10000000's of animals are killed every day because we like to eat meat. like i say its worth watching once but you really enjoy watching it over and over again? here in the uk alot of those films were banned in 1984 and most that have eventually been rereleased still have some cuts. i can see some artistic merit in some of those italian films but now i'm older i realise that most of the reason i wanted those films was because people told me i couldnt watch or own them in the uk. when you can pick it up now on dvd for 15 quid in virgin it kind of takes the naughtyness out of the whole viewing experience and the films seem less shocking than they used to.
Old 09-23-06, 11:55 AM

still a damn good film, whether now not to be watched under the covers in secret or no longer to be seen on 3rd generation VHS - the atmosphere and the music make it a very powerful and interesting film, and although i dislike the animal cruelty in it, well its an indicator or how carried away they got when they shot it.
Old 09-23-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by davethomasowns
The question is, does this one that I saw at virgin (and want to buy,) include the fully uncut version like the 25th? Are there any differences?
I've got the Deluxe and judging by reviews and comments I've read on the Anniversary edition--no difference. Just in the packaging.
Old 09-24-06, 05:40 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought the Limited Edition version and I haven't had any problems with it. I love the movie, and I'm glad that I blind-bought it. I actually found it when I went to a concert in Toronto, and decided to stop by Sunrise Records before the show.
Old 09-25-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont have a problem with animal cruelty, after all 10000000's of animals are killed every day because we like to eat meat. like i say its worth watching once but you really enjoy watching it over and over again? here in the uk alot of those films were banned in 1984 and most that have eventually been rereleased still have some cuts. i can see some artistic merit in some of those italian films but now i'm older i realise that most of the reason i wanted those films was because people told me i couldnt watch or own them in the uk. when you can pick it up now on dvd for 15 quid in virgin it kind of takes the naughtyness out of the whole viewing experience and the films seem less shocking than they used to.
I've watched it like six or seven times since I got it. I actually enjoy the movie, not just the shock value. Lot's of people wonder why we, as dvd fans, buy so many dvds. Most people can't fathom owning a movie you're only going to watch a couple of times. If this is your opinion, then you're definitely in the wrong forum...
Old 09-25-06, 03:31 PM

like i say its worth watching once but you really enjoy watching it over and over again?
Are you kiddin'? This is like a required viddey at least once a year. I have my reasons....others have theirs. Why judge? Maybe if you were my mother but even then...I'd simply tell you to blow.
Old 09-25-06, 04:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree with gut, but I think it's also one of few cannibal films - the only cannibal film where you can hum or whistle the theme music to.
Old 09-25-06, 04:59 PM

Yes! I'll never forget the first few times I saw it. I was actually whistlin' that damn tune for days while working and drivin' people nuts. They just did not understand, man!
Old 09-25-06, 11:48 PM
Cool New Member

I have both editions and the discs are the same. I think it's the best of the jungle cannibal films and the second greatest faux snuff film ever. Second only to August Underground.