Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Series with Narrow Scopes

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Series with Narrow Scopes

It seems like most new serial dramas this season, and many from last, are very limited in their scope. For example, do we really think things like Jericho and Kidnapped will last 6 seasons? It seems like the networks are creating their new dramas with the intention of them running for just one season.

Is this because instead of making their money back on syndication, where you need about 4 solid seasons, they now have DVD? They can sell the season 1 of a show like Kidnapped for $49.99 next August and get their $ back that way. Thoughts?
Old 09-21-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what everyone said about 24.
Old 09-21-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think every network wants that huge 10 year hit that just owns some given night of the week. Sure, dvd sales are a nice save if the show only runs one year or so but clearly 5+ years of soild money making THEN dvd's too is way better.

IMO any show can be pushed out for a few years..

Look at prison break, season two is just them on the run, that alone could strech out for while. For Kidnapped, someone else gets taken, then someone else again for s3.. For Jericho you could have season two being outsiders from another town come in, season 3 they 'Go on the road' to find out what happens other places. Season 4 they find another small town. Season 5 aliens attack!!

it's not really hard to come up with a way to strech a show along, even if they are not all good ideas I just think more years = more money and networks are money whores, we all know that.
Old 09-21-06, 09:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mittman
Is this because instead of making their money back on syndication, where you need about 4 solid seasons, they now have DVD?
I think that's part of it. The other thing to note is that the traditional syndication scheme is more open these days. Now a lot of replay rights get sold to cable networks despite a small number of episodes. Firefly and ABC's Night Stalker remake both made it to SciFi despite only having not even a full season of episodes. Shows like House and Grey's Anatomy are getting replay rights on cable despite the fact they are only in their third seasons. Then you've got iTunes and similar services emerging. Lots of ways to make money off tv shows nowadays.
Old 09-21-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's just typical network knee-jerking. A bunch of serials became big hits in recent years, so now they're going crazy with them, regardless of if the idea has any merit or not. They want 10 seasons, but they're not concerned with whether it makes sense. They're just throwing all kinds of uninspired stuff against the wall and hoping something sticks. If it does -- like Prison Break -- they'll make up some excuse to string it out. It makes it incredibly difficult to want to watch any of these shows, because I know the whole point of 90% of them is to string along the audience without satisfying resolution. Rest assured that if one becomes a big hit, they'll find ways to keep it going.

You're right, though, that the power of DVD and the evolution of syndication make it easier for them to keep doing this.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 09-21-06 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-21-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
With Kidnapped you can have a new person (or 2 or 3) missing each season, and with Jericho you can have multiple seasons, hell I have been waiting for a good micro-society/end of the world movie or show for a long time.
Old 09-21-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ The Walking Dead (comicbook by Robert Kirkman) would make for a great weekly series. Just based on that, there's plenty of ways Jericho could go.
Old 09-21-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats one (of many things) that UK TV has over us. When they are done with the story, they stop making the show.
Old 09-21-06, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
^ The Walking Dead (comicbook by Robert Kirkman) would make for a great weekly series. Just based on that, there's plenty of ways Jericho could go.
I would pay good money to have this show made. Or, at the very least, I would refrain from skipping over the commercials to support the studio willing to produce it.
Old 09-21-06, 12:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My idea for a narrow scope show?

Everquest Addict
Follows the adventures of an online gaming addict (Kevin Weisman) as he plays the popular online role playing game Everquest. Other regulars include Seth Rogen as a pizza delivery guy, and John Cho as a Chinese takeout delivery guy.

Old 09-21-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most shows are lucky to get one full season these days.
Old 09-21-06, 01:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, I don't think The Nine has much potential as a multi-season show. "We're now entering year five of the standoff..."