Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are scenes in cars always so fake looking?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

This is something that has always befuddled me, every scene featuring people inside a car on tv shows is always fake with the background that doesn't look even remotely real. The ones in Roseanne are a classic example. Anyone know why they never just film the scenes normally like they do in movies?
Old 09-20-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really have no explanation to offer, but I have often wondered the same thing myself!
Old 09-20-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of shows use rear-projection. The car is still and a movie is played behind the car of the outside. They may be using blue/green screen now. Lower cost is the main reason they do it. No need to close down a road, rig up cameras to the car, camera car, paying for a crew to go film. They can film it in the same studio that they film the rest of the show.
Old 09-20-06, 08:07 PM
Banned

You should watch Airplane.
Old 09-20-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
They can film it in the same studio that they film the rest of the show.
This is another big reason. Sitcoms like Roseanne record in front of a live studio audience, and they want to record as much in front of that audience as possible to get that "live" feel and legitimate laughter. Plus, if it's pretaped and shown to the audience later, the actors can't accurately pause for the laughter.
Old 09-21-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This is another big reason. Sitcoms like Roseanne record in front of a live studio audience, and they want to record as much in front of that audience as possible to get that "live" feel and legitimate laughter. Plus, if it's pretaped and shown to the audience later, the actors can't accurately pause for the laughter.
Yep, as shows have moved further and further away from studio-style shoots, more and more are shot in real cars, whether it be on a camera mounted outside the car window (or where a window should be), or in the case of some shows like The Office, actually inside the car while a cast member is driving, all and all expect to see very few "fake" looking driving scenes.
Old 09-21-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Depending on the show's tone, it might work in its favor. I embarassingly admit I enjoy Las Vegas which is a cheesy show with eye candy, what's the point of spending extra for on location driving?
Old 09-21-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a lot of times i catch law and order filming in NYC along with some other shows. you wouldn't believe the amount of work required to film in the street. you need to get permits months in advance, an army of people is deployed to shoot and support the shoot. and it takes 12 hours from start to finish. and probably costs a load of money. and then you have the problem of a car being small and very hard to get a good shot due to all the lighting requirements.

probably a lot easier to do it in the studio
Old 09-21-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
a lot of times i catch law and order filming in NYC along with some other shows. you wouldn't believe the amount of work required to film in the street. you need to get permits months in advance, an army of people is deployed to shoot and support the shoot. and it takes 12 hours from start to finish. and probably costs a load of money. and then you have the problem of a car being small and very hard to get a good shot due to all the lighting requirements.

probably a lot easier to do it in the studio
Especially if you consider they decide a scene is wrong somehow, and they then need to reshoot. That just wouldn't happen.
Old 09-21-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Depending on the show's tone, it might work in its favor. I embarassingly admit I enjoy Las Vegas which is a cheesy show with eye candy, what's the point of spending extra for on location driving?

Ironically enough, it was an episode of Las Vegas that inspired me to start this thread, the one from season 2 with George Hamilton.
Old 09-21-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Hour long tv shows take 6 - 8 days to shoot the entire episode. They don't have the luxury of time.
Old 09-21-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Especially if you consider they decide a scene is wrong somehow, and they then need to reshoot. That just wouldn't happen.
Isn't that part of why it takes so long, though? Surely they cover just about as many iterations as they can and shoot all sorts of coverage so they can work with a problem scene, right?
Old 09-21-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the show Bones, does anyone know if the car driving scene's are done for real or not? it doesn't have a rear screen projection look (at least to my eyes.)
Old 09-21-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
I have to laugh when they don't even try to match up the rear-projection clips, like in Police Squad.
Old 09-21-06, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
With the show Bones, does anyone know if the car driving scene's are done for real or not? it doesn't have a rear screen projection look (at least to my eyes.)
It's a single camera show, so I'd expect the driving scenes to be real in that they're filmed inside an actual moving car.
Old 09-21-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I have to laugh when they don't even try to match up the rear-projection clips, like in Police Squad.
That's the first thing I thought of...the Naked Gun movies.

33 1/3: Death Star from Star Wars
Old 09-21-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bit off topic, but I have to mention the striking rear projection shots at the end of The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (the original). The rear projection shots are taken from a very low angle, and the shots of the car are head on -- giving a wonderful surreal effect to the scene because of the mismatch. I don't think I've ever seen this effect used anywhere else.

I can't prove this, but I think that Hitchcock made some of his back projection shots (not for cars) look intentionally "off" as a stylistic choice. Some of the shots of characters walking against a very obvious rear projection in Rebecca just couldn't have been done that way if they were trying to be realistic. Also the two-d shots rp shots in the otherwise three-d Dial M for Murder.
Old 09-22-06, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Time and budget.

If you're talking about a half-hour sitcom, then they're shot on a tight budget and a tight schedule so they can't really take the time and expense of shooting outside in a real car.

It's a bit easier for hour-long dramas to do location shoots, but it also likely comes down to budgets and schedules.

What cracks me up about a lot of these fake driving scenes is that the actor driving usually over-acts with the steering wheel and moves it around so much that they'd be swerving all of the road or ditching the car.
Old 09-22-06, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another thing about cars in TV shows I just thought of....

Seems like when they are in cars that are "moving" the gear selector is almost always in PARK.
Old 09-22-06, 07:23 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Time and budget.
These two things (actually, the same thing in a sense) explain the reasons behind 90% of the questions about why things are done the way they are in television.
Old 09-22-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'm guessing insurance for the actors might have something to do with it as well. Studios would have to pay bigger coverage on their stars if they are putting them in riskier situations. So I guess this would fall under "budget reasons" as well.