Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Degrees - "Pilot" 9/21/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Six Degrees - "Pilot" 9/21/06

I attended the premiere party for Six Degrees last night and saw the pilot. I must say I really liked it and will definitely be tuning in every Thursday night.

The premise of the show is about six New Yorkers whose lives interweave and affect one another. The characters are all likeable and realistic. Plus, the show is entirely shot in New York City.

The show stars Bridget Moynahan, Hope Davis, Erika Christensen, Campbell Scott and Jay Hernandez.

I think ABC has another hit on their hands.

Six Degrees airs on Thursday at 10pm after Grey's Anatomy.
Old 09-22-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Watched the pilot last night and I'm indifferent to it so far. They have a good looking cast but I think that the show is trying too hard to convey the theme that "nothing happens by chance and everybody is related someways". I'll continue to watch this show for a few more episodes.
Old 09-22-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Watched the pilot last night and I'm indifferent to it so far. They have a good looking cast but I think that the show is trying too hard to convey the theme that "nothing happens by chance and everybody is related someways". I'll continue to watch this show for a few more episodes.
A perfect critique. It felt forced and I couldn't connect with any of the characters. When do they all board Flight 815?
Old 09-22-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah.. just got done watching this and thought it was just okay. One more night soap in the mix. Based on the small amount of posts here, not many people watched. I'll give it one or two more weeks and if it doesn't improve.. it's out.
Old 09-22-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I watched it this morning and there's a major Lost feel to it. I didn't connect to any of the characters and the situations felt forced.
Old 09-22-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it the other night and really disliked the show.. I saw nothing interesting about the characters on the show or at the least anything that makes me want to watch them bump into each other in random ways 20 times in a season...

Limo driver who gambles (wow new one there) with a gangster brother (yawn).. Pro photographer who has lost his desire for taking pictures (ohh another new idea). Law Clerk looking for a girl, girl hiding from "someone" (good old stand by theme), a newly widow'd lady and of course Bridget Moynahan as the career focused woman.

Can already guess how they will interact but more telling, I just don't care.. This show is doomed*

*but then again I also thought Titanic would flop, huge.
Old 09-22-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does it compare to Six Degree of Separation with Will Smith? I always thought it was one of his best movies and one of the first where he did real acting.
Old 09-22-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
Wow. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. Way too soap-opera-ish for me, so I'm out.
Old 09-23-06, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"There were mixed results for all the networks throughout the night. NBC's venerable "ER" came back to win its 10 p.m. time slot with 15.6 million viewers, no small feat considering both CBS (owned by CBS Corp. (CBS)) and ABC premiered new dramas with powerful lead-ins then.

CBS' lawyer drama "Shark" was second with 14.7 million while the ABC drama "Six Degrees" had 12.6 million. In both cases, particularly "Six Degrees," there was a large drop in viewers during the second half-hour, an indication of people who didn't like what they saw."

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8KAA8SO0.html
Old 09-23-06, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
does it compare to Six Degree of Separation with Will Smith? I always thought it was one of his best movies and one of the first where he did real acting.
No, it's nothing like that movie. The concept looks similar Magnolia if you want to compare it to a movie.

I just finished watching it. I didn't see a cliche in every character like DeadLamb did. The one I am interested in so far is the limo driver. Between that and the fact that Erika Christensen is in it will keep me on board for a while since I won't be watching Shark again.

The dull characters have to get mixed up with the ones in real trouble eventually, so I'm curious to see how that goes. The question will be how long they drag it out.
Old 09-23-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the concept is too cute and coy, and the execution far too simple and convenient. By the end of the series, will they all show up on the same subway train?
Old 09-24-06, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Depending on how the degrees are implemented it may turn out ok. From what I had read I expected some suburbanites and their love circles doing upper crust NY things. While no characters struck me as anything I can relate to, I will stay tuned for a couple more episodes.

I do love the Goo Goo Dolls but hearing "Better Days" gets old fast when it is used too often.
Old 09-24-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by QuikSilver and fixed by slop101

I did not attended the premiere party for Six Degrees last night, so I wasn't unduly influenced when I saw the pilot. I must say I really hated it and will definitely not be tuning in every Thursday night.

The premise of the show is about six New Yorkers whose boring and meaningless lives conveniently interweave and clumsily affect one another. None of the characters are likeable nor realistic. Plus, the show is entirely shot in New York City, which is the only good thing about it.

The show stars Bridget Moynahan, Hope Davis, Erika Christensen, Campbell Scott and Jay Hernandez, with Hope Davis being the only one to walk away with her dignity intact.

I think ABC has another shit on their hands.

Six Degrees airs on Thursday at 10pm after Grey's Anatomy, another show I hate.
Fixed.
Old 09-25-06, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
I think the concept is too cute and coy, and the execution far too simple and convenient. By the end of the series, will they all show up on the same subway train?
I disagree. I think the concept is really original, and not something that we have ever really seen explored on TV before. And at the same time, you have to remember that it is quite true what they are saying. The world is just too small and you always ending running into people that you wouldn't expect to run into at the least expected times.

I have to defend the show bc it is one of my most favorite so far this season, and I am really looking forward to seeing how they continue to develop the interconnectedness thing.
Old 09-25-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really depends how you look at it. If you want to look at it, you can say that every show ever is about this. All shows are at their core, about how the characters react and interact w/eachother.

That aspect of the show doesn't have me hooked. I just like certain characters (the Limo driver, the photgrapher) and have a loathing for the online dater. That alone will get me to watch a couple more episodes.
Old 09-25-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I rewatched this with my wife this weekend to see if my initial impressions were changed. They did not. This show is just not very good. It's mostly very boring people living very boring lives that happen to run into each other. And maybe there are too many characters for the time length, and the list of improbabilities is long (Jay obsessing over a girl he met for two minutes, BFFs from Natasha and Laura after a pedicure, etc.). I'm tossing this one, too much better stuff on to waste time with this one, as I can't imagine it gets any different from ep to ep.
Old 09-25-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really expected not to like this. The quality of the storyline is too hard to judge this early. The acting and dialog writing are much better than I expected. Not sure how I feel about the characters yet.

This isn't revolutionary in concept. Lost has been using a similar contrivance for three years. This "contrived" part of Six Degrees is the tiny little overlapping of lives that would be statistically impossible. Charaters passing by each other on the street, as if they are linked in a circular chain, or the hand of God is bringing them together. Those little 10 second scenes could ruin the basic formula for this show.

The writers need to find a way to link the characters together without having them actually pass each other on the street. Show a montage of people that illustrate that Bob went to school with Joe, who is married to Angie, whose gardener lives next door to Maria.

You can have characters linked without having their lives overlap.
Old 09-25-06, 11:42 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unlikely but not "statistically impossible". Coincidences happen much more than generally thought. Right, Mr. Darwin?
Old 09-25-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Poor choice of words on my part. Statistically they would be extremely improbable.

"Coincidences happen much more than generally thought."

Really?
Old 09-25-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this show a couple of days ago, and honestly can't remember a single thing that happened.
Old 09-25-06, 01:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was ok.

I like the cast, well mostly just Campbell Scott, Hope Davis, and Michael K. Williams(who I hope they keep as a regular).

Somebody needs to make Bridget Moynahan eat something.
Old 09-25-06, 01:43 PM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My wife and I watched it. I wouldn't say it was great, but it was entertaining, but I saw him sitting down next to the girl on the subway coming from a mile away. I'll watch it again to see if it picks up.
Old 09-25-06, 03:28 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Improbable" is definitely the more accurate word.

From Wolfram MathWorld:
Coincidence

A coincidence is a surprising concurrence of events, perceived as meaningfully related, with no apparent causal connection (Diaconis and Mosteller 1989). Given a large number of events, extremely unlikely coincidences are possible--and perhaps even common. To quote Sherlock Holmes from "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle," "Amid the action and reaction of so dense a swarm of humanity, every possible combination of events may be expected to take place, and many a little problem will be presented which may be striking and bizarre..." (Conan Doyle 1892, p. 245).

For anyone who's interested, google "coincidence and probability". There are a number of reasons, both mathematical & psychological, why the improbable occurs more frequently that generally perceived. But it's a pretty dry discussion.
Old 09-25-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately, increasing the probability does not make it better TV.
Old 09-25-06, 03:46 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

OTOH opinions are statistical.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.