Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get psyched for more Psych...

Monday, September 18, 2006
USA NETWORK 'PSYCHED' FOR SECOND SEASON OF "PSYCH"
Released by USA

Network Orders 16 Episodes of Hit Series Starring James Roday, Dul Hill and Corbin Bernsen

Los Angeles, CA Sept. 18, 2006 -- USA Network has placed a second season order for 16 episodes of its freshman hit, PSYCH, it was announced today by Jeff Wachtel, USA's executive vice president, original programming. The one-hour series, starring James Roday, Dul Hill and Corbin Bernsen, is executive produced by Steve Franks ("Big Daddy"), in association with Tagline Pictures' Kelly Kulchak and Chris Henze and NBC Universal Television Studio. This along with THE DEAD ZONE joins the previously announced returns of original series MONK and THE 4400.

PSYCH has been a ratings success since its July 7 premiere on USA, which brought in 6.25 million total viewers and ranked as the highest rated new scripted series premiere on basic cable this year with a 4.63 household rating. During its summer run, which ended August 25, PSYCH was the #1 scripted series in cable television in the coveted 18-49 demo. PSYCH will return in January for the second half of its first season with seven new episodes.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.aspx?id=20060918usa01
Old 09-18-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see
Old 09-18-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love this show, knew it would have to be renewed!

MATT
Old 09-18-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Good to see. I will definately watch it. Wish USA would go HD, but I'll still watch.
Old 09-18-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Good to see. I will definately watch it. Wish USA would go HD, but I'll still watch.
USA is part of the NBC Universal Cable channels that include Sci-Fi, Bravo, Trio, MSNBC and others, including Universal HD.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/NBC_Universal_Cable_Networks/

I think it'd be great if Universal HD could air all of NBC Universal Cable's new programs on it when they air, at least until they get their own HD channels. It would certainly boost my viewership of that channel. However, at least a number of their cable shows are shown in rerun on the HD network.
Old 09-19-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I saw the ratings the show was getting during its initial run, I wasn't worried about renewal at all. It's just as good as Monk was when it started.
Old 09-19-06, 09:41 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great news. This wasn't one of those shows where I immediately watched it when it airs, in fact I still have episodes of my DVR. But it's a fantastic show for just watching whenever you want a chunk of light entertainment in your day. I know some reviews were critical of its similarities to Monk (one review even called it "Monk for dummies") but I disagree with their assessment. Sure, there are some obvious shared elements in both the concept and the humor, but the lead characters are so different it gives it a fresh vibe. I'd also say Psych's cases are a bit more involved than those on Monk, because on Monk they seem to be built around "What uncomfortable situation can we put Monk in?" first with the actual murder is ancillary to that.
Old 09-19-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
USA is part of the NBC Universal Cable channels that include Sci-Fi, Bravo, Trio, MSNBC and others, including Universal HD.

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/NBC_Universal_Cable_Networks/

I think it'd be great if Universal HD could air all of NBC Universal Cable's new programs on it when they air, at least until they get their own HD channels. It would certainly boost my viewership of that channel. However, at least a number of their cable shows are shown in rerun on the HD network.

I have been saying this since I got Universal HD last year. I could see some scheduling problems if they tried first run airings, Friday nights is the biggest one with USA (Monk, Psych) and Sci-Fi (BSG, SG-1, SG-A). I would not mind them showing the current week's episode a day or 2 later - hell even a week later - I could put off BSG for a week to get it in HD that season.
Old 01-14-07, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Great news. This wasn't one of those shows where I immediately watched it when it airs, in fact I still have episodes of my DVR. But it's a fantastic show for just watching whenever you want a chunk of light entertainment in your day. I know some reviews were critical of its similarities to Monk (one review even called it "Monk for dummies") but I disagree with their assessment. Sure, there are some obvious shared elements in both the concept and the humor, but the lead characters are so different it gives it a fresh vibe. I'd also say Psych's cases are a bit more involved than those on Monk, because on Monk they seem to be built around "What uncomfortable situation can we put Monk in?" first with the actual murder is ancillary to that.
Just finsihed wacthing all the shows. I'm really liking it. Light enjoyable entertainment.
Monk has become painful. The mysteries are becoming lame - him riding around with his dad ???

It will be difficult for the show to continue its momentum beyond the second season.
Old 01-15-07, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good news. I was a little questionable about this show at first (especially being so used to Dule on The West Wing), but it grew on me really fast.
Old 01-15-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what day does it start again, or did I miss it in the above postings?
Old 01-15-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
So what day does it start again, or did I miss it in the above postings?
New Cases Start January 19, 10/9c