Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Weird Al Show Disc 3 replacement discs available

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Al Show Disc 3 replacement discs available

I contacted Shout! Factory a few weeks ago about the problems I had with disc 3 and they told me that replacement discs were going to be available soon. They took my name and address down and got a new disc today that plays perfectly (from what I've seen). Just wanted to let everybody know who has been having problems to contact Shout! Factory and get your replacement.
Old 09-15-06, 03:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-15-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What number did you use to contact them???

For those who haven't had time to watch their set, the problem is:
Sound cutting out on "The Competition"
A few notable places are 18:55, 19:30 (longest one so far), and 19:40 from a quick check. There's a point in the episode (somewhere between minutes 18 and 20, in the scene with Fred Willard) where the picture 'breaks up'. The audio commentary track is also out of sync by a second or two.
Old 09-15-06, 10:17 PM

http://www.shoutfactory.com/contactu...9753b6b3e.html

From here you can either call them or email them about your problem. I tried Netflixing Disc 3 and that copy was faulty as well.
Old 01-26-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I just stumbled across this problem last night, found that it was a common issue and that they were offering replacements, and emailed Shout Factory last night.

I like when a company doesn't request your bad disk back first. Saves time and trouble.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-26-07 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 04:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The replacements are a mixed blessing though.

While the old discs had audio dropouts, I found that the new disc have very noticeably bad compression problems that are not on the original discs.

So, overall, since nothing major is missed in the dropped sound, I'll probably just watch the original discs when I watch the show, but I'm still glad to have the complete audio.

Maybe at some point in the future I can make my own hybrid disc with the video from version 1 and the audio from version 2...
Old 01-26-07, 05:16 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by wahlers
The replacements are a mixed blessing though.

While the old discs had audio dropouts, I found that the new disc have very noticeably bad compression problems that are not on the original discs.

So, overall, since nothing major is missed in the dropped sound, I'll probably just watch the original discs when I watch the show, but I'm still glad to have the complete audio.

Maybe at some point in the future I can make my own hybrid disc with the video from version 1 and the audio from version 2...
Hmm, that's disappointing. I'll have to compare both and see which is less annoying.
Old 01-27-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are there any other problems with this set besides disk three? On my copy of disk one, the animated storyboard extra cuts off abruptly, obviously before the ending (the commentary stops in mid-sentence).
Old 01-27-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by obscurelabel
On my copy of disk one, the animated storyboard extra cuts off abruptly, obviously before the ending (the commentary stops in mid-sentence).
That's intentional. It's a running joke throughout all of the storyboard commentaries.

As for the sound problems, I posted some sample mp3s in my DVD review last summer, if anyone's curious.
Old 01-28-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shout Factory should be commended for handling this well. The replacement arrived just a few days after I emailed and they added some goodies to the envelope (bookmarks, stickers, postcards).
Old 01-28-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
That's intentional. It's a running joke throughout all of the storyboard commentaries.

As for the sound problems, I posted some sample mp3s in my DVD review last summer, if anyone's curious.
(Whoosh) that went right over my heard. I guess I should have waited until I had seen all of them (I just got finished with disk 1) ... but I think to be fair, the impact of the joke is undercut if there are other, real problems on the disks.
Old 01-29-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my replacement today. That was fast!

I was going to just throw away my first disk 3, but now I don't know. It didn't just have audio drop-outs, but got pixelated in a few sopts too on that one episode.
Old 01-31-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I don't see anything visually wrong so far, but I'm only watching it on a 20" tube.

Exactly where/when are these compression problems?
Old 02-05-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Shout Factory should be commended for handling this well. The replacement arrived just a few days after I emailed and they added some goodies to the envelope (bookmarks, stickers, postcards).
This was great customer service...I received an e-mail only hours after putting in my request and had the replacement a few days later. I wish it was always this easy!