Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does the Xbox360 stream video from your PC to your TV??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was reading all the new stuff that apple released today and I noticed that they announced an iTV which streams video/music from itunes to your TV. I was then reading everybody's comments about it and saw that most poeple said they can already do this with their Xbox 360 and Media center PC's. I have a media center PC but not a 360. Can somebody please explain to me (or direct me to a website that might explain this) how this works? What exactly do I need to do this. I'll buy a 360 tomorrow if I'm able to do this. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 09-12-06, 02:50 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by firteen88
So I was reading all the new stuff that apple released today and I noticed that they announced an iTV which streams video/music from itunes to your TV. I was then reading everybody's comments about it and saw that most poeple said they can already do this with their Xbox 360 and Media center PC's. I have a media center PC but not a 360. Can somebody please explain to me (or direct me to a website that might explain this) how this works? What exactly do I need to do this. I'll buy a 360 tomorrow if I'm able to do this. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Yes you can do this if you have Media Center on your PC, all you have to do is network your PC to your 360. There is setup on the 360 dashboard for Media Center, you click that and set it up.
Old 09-12-06, 02:50 PM

I only have XP so I can only stream music and pictures using Windows Media Connect (or Windows Media Player 11 Beta).

This link may tell you what needs to be done so that you can stream video from a Media Center PC to a XBox 360.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/default.htm

Live and recorded TV*, Movies, Videos, and more.
Connecting your Xbox 360 console to a Windows Media Center-based PC enables you to enjoy the best in home entertainment. Computers running Windows Media Center are enhanced for home entertainment. These computers represent the evolution of home PCs into digital media hubs that bring together your entertainment choices and allow you to access them with one remote control.

Connecting your Xbox 360 console to your computer running Windows Media Center allows you to:

-Watch live and recorded TV in both standard and high-definition formats
-Watch movies stored on the computer
-Listen to your digital music collection
-View family photos and home movies
*Live TV and Recorded TV features require a TV tuner card
Old 09-12-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So it looks like the big difference btw the apple one and the 360 is that the apple box will do it wirelessly while I would need a wire connecting my PC to the 360? Is there anyway to stream wirelessly with the 360 since my computer is not near my tv?
Old 09-12-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by firteen88
So it looks like the big difference btw the apple one and the 360 is that the apple box will do it wirelessly while I would need a wire connecting my PC to the 360? Is there anyway to stream wirelessly with the 360 since my computer is not near my tv?
Yeah just network the 360 wirelessly. I believe their is an adaptor you get for it to allow it to hook into your wireless network.
Old 09-12-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I believe their is an adaptor you get for it to allow it to hook into your wireless network.
There is, I'm using the regular Xbox wireless adapater for my 360 and it's working like a charm.
Old 09-12-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I have the Microsoft one and it looks and works great. A little expensive, but for the physical integration and no need for external power supply, it's worth it.

Amazon $99
Old 09-12-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I see the adapter at EBgames website for $99.99. If I DID connect it with wires, what wire would I need? Would it be USB? And does this also play my mp3's? Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 09-12-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it will stream your MP3's (you can listen to your music/playlists while playing games) and pictures as well. You will need a network (ethernet) cable connected to a router for a wired connection.
Old 09-12-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got it..thanks for all your help!
Old 09-12-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No prob. But do you definitely have the Windows Media Center operating system on your PC? Regular XP Home & Pro will only allow you to stream music & pictures, not video.
Old 09-13-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes I have Media Center ( I record TV shows everyday, that's the reason I'm thinking of doing this). I have media center 2004 (not 2005) will this make a difference? Also, are there any other devices out there that will do this same thing for less money? My main goal is to stream all my recorded Tv shows from my PC to my TV. Thanks!
Old 09-13-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an OTA HD tuner card in my Media Center PC (2005), and the 360 does a great job of playing back the HD (or other) recordings from the Media Center PC.