Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville Season 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smallville Season 5

Smallville is one of the tv shows I don't watch on tv but just buy every time the seasons come out.

I'm just looking for some opinions on the 5th season.
Old 09-10-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First half is great. Lots of good episodes(Arrival, Mortal, Hidden, Splinter, Solitude, Lexmas). It starts going downhill with Reckoning, along with other stinkers(Hypnotic, Fragile), but as usual, the season finale, Vessel is good, along with Oracle preceding it.

Overall, I would give it a B-.
Old 09-11-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are certainly decent episodes in the season but as a whole the season is weak and flat. There are a number of shows that I just did not find entertaining at all. For me I feel they either need to get back on track or wrap the show up so we get some decent ending to this part of Clark's life.

I am so not into this season that my neighbor, a huge Smallville fan that I created, is going with me when I pick up season 5 set at midnight.....and then I am letting her watch it before me. I want to own the season but I really don't think I can sit down and watch this season again so soon. She has been watching my DVD sets and is extremely excited about the new season on DVD and the upcoming new season on TV. She is paying for half my set too so it's nice that the season I dislike so much will be half as expensive as all the ones before it that I liked so much more.

The season gets a C from me and that is being very generous at times.
Old 09-11-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially after that turd of a fourth season. I wouldn't say it is as bad as everyone here makes it out to be. Then again, I watched it back to back with season four which may make it seem more enjoyable than it was.

Not sure how I would rate it, but here's how I'd rank them:

1. Season 2
2. Season 3
3. Season 1
4. Season 5
10. Season 4
Old 09-11-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with your list ... cept I would swap seasons 3 and 1.

Although freak of the week, the second half of the first season has some of Smallvilles better episodes. It is a lot like Season 2.
Old 09-11-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
First half is great. Lots of good episodes(Arrival, Mortal, Hidden, Splinter, Solitude, Lexmas). It starts going downhill with Reckoning, along with other stinkers(Hypnotic, Fragile), but as usual, the season finale, Vessel is good, along with Oracle preceding it.

Overall, I would give it a B-.
I'm just finished Episode 15("Cyborg") and it's a definite improvement over the dreadful Season 4 thus far. Still, it's a far cry from the first 2 seasons. The show's past 100 episodes at this point, and this FOTW nonsense has long since been tiresome.

Plus Lana needs to go already. They're spinning their wheels with those two. Hell, Lana's even saying that in every episode. Hopefully something happens to finally split them apart for good.

And I'm guessing eventually Chloe will have to be killed off since she seems to be firmly entrenched in the role Lois will eventually fill, Clark's reporter sidekick at the Daily Planet.
Old 09-11-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ayre
I agree with your list ... cept I would swap seasons 3 and 1.

Although freak of the week, the second half of the first season has some of Smallvilles better episodes. It is a lot like Season 2.
True, it really got the show rolling for me, I just preferred the arc storylines of 3 more than the FOTW stuff that the first season brought. At least later seasons brought more creativity to the FOTW episodes than the first season's Kryptonite-Freak of the Week stuff, IMO.

Just browsing the episode descriptions a minute ago I noticed that Milton Fine is
Spoiler:
......Brainiac..........
. I don't know a whole lot about the Superman mythos, anyone want to spoil his character for me?
Old 09-11-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Just browsing the episode descriptions a minute ago I noticed that Milton Fine is
Spoiler:
......Brainiac..........
. I don't know a whole lot about the Superman mythos, anyone want to spoil his character for me?
Not answeing your question but that confused me as well. Who said that Fine was
Spoiler:
Brainiac
? He's much closer to
Spoiler:
The Eradicator
if it's based on comic book mythos.
Old 09-11-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Spoiler:
Brainiac
was mentioned in a synopsis on tvrage.com.

The Wikipedia Link goes into some detail about it.

Spoiler:
So far, the name "Brainiac" has not been used on-screen, although Jor-El did refer to Fine as the "Brain InterActive Construct" ("BrainIAC") in the episode Vessel.
Old 09-11-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Depression, everything's okie dokie until episode 100, when SMALLVILLE totally does this:

...it's all downhill after that.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 09-11-06 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-11-06, 11:52 AM

its been getting worse and worse every season
Old 09-11-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Not answeing your question but that confused me as well. Who said that Fine was
Spoiler:
Brainiac
? He's much closer to
Spoiler:
The Eradicator
if it's based on comic book mythos.
They hinted at him being Brainiac in Oracle, I think. Clark's in the FoS talking to Jor-El, and Jor-El calls him the Brain InterActive Computer, or something like like that. Brainiac for short.
Old 09-11-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Am I the only one that loved the fourth season???
Old 09-11-06, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Am I the only one that loved the fourth season???
Probably not the only one, but definitely in the minority. I'm only 2/3 of the way through Season 5, but it'll need a MAJOR dropoff in the last 7 episodes to equal the dreck that was Season 4.

About the only good thing to come out of Season 4 was Chloe finding out Clark's secret. Although even that was almost screwed up by Clark not finding out til Season 5 and Chloe constantly dropping the biggest hints without him catching on.

Lois is a hottie, but she had no purpose in Season 4 once Chloe was discovered to be alive. Hell, even in Season 5 she comes and goes with no impact on the storyline. Chloe is essentially filling the Lois role at this point, and doing it so well I might add that the writers are giving themselves a major hole to fill once they decide to put Erica Durance in Allison Mack's place.
Old 09-12-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It went down hill substantially after the 100th episode.
Old 09-12-06, 01:14 AM

Anyone know where i can pick up smallville seasons for cheap?
Old 09-12-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jake77444
Anyone know where i can pick up smallville seasons for cheap?
DDD is your best bet.

If you want B&M, best buy has 1-4 on sale for 32.xx and season 5 for 38.99 this week. If you can wait eventually best buy or circuit city will put them on sale for 24.99, but that's at least a few months away, and that would only be seasons 1-4. I don't see season 5 hitting that point until sometime next year.

As for season 5, I liked it. It had a few duds, ep 100 was really a downer, but overall it was good. Speaking of ep 100 I get no commentary on it from the dvd set The lack of commentary on this ep shows that the creative team behind this just killed off a great character without thought. They just did it to do it...dumb jackasses.

I would rank the seasons like this:

JMO

Last edited by Deadpool; 09-12-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-12-06, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
They hinted at him being Brainiac in Oracle, I think. Clark's in the FoS talking to Jor-El, and Jor-El calls him the Brain InterActive Computer, or something like like that. Brainiac for short.
He's definitely Brainiac. The back of the Season 5 box set even says so. Speaking of which, WB went with the slimmer packaging for Season 5 after releasing the previous 4 sets in the wider boxes.