Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

EVIL DEAD: no, not another sequel - it's gonna sing and dance on stage!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of movies are showing up as stage productions for the upcoming NY season (including Mary Poppins and High Fidelity) but who expected this:

EVIL DEAD: THE MUSICAL All-singing, all-dancing, all-zombie, this musicalization of the Sam Raimi series of horror films promises to give new meaning to the phrase "summer camp." We'll have to see if songs like "All the Men in My Life Keep Getting Killed by Candarian Demons" are featured in the next Tony Awards telecast. The directors are Christopher Bond and Hinton Battle (who has won three Tony Awards for outstanding featured actor in a musical), the book and lyrics by George Reinblatt and the music by Mr. Bond, Mr. Reinblatt, Frank Cipolla and Melissa Morris. Living, dead and undead alike choreographed by Mr. Battle. Previews begin Oct. 2. Opens Nov. 1. New World Stages, 340 West 50th Street, Manhattan.
(NY TIMES - 9/10/06)

Since it's virtually around the corner from me, I'll have to check this out ....

Last edited by marty888; 09-10-06 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-10-06, 10:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
wow, should make a great double bill with the stage version of 'Cannibal: The Musical'

next up for the Landless Theatre here in DC is a stage version of 'Night of the Living Dead'

http://www.landlesstheatre.org/

Last edited by Giles; 09-12-06 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I'm curious what song they sing during the tree-rape scene.
Old 09-10-06, 12:58 PM
Zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at the theatre where Evil Dead will be playing, and I can tell you right now the show is definitely going to be worth seeing. They held a screening of the movies the other night as part of a "welcome" party, and these people are HARD CORE Deadites. The guy they got to play Ash looks perfect, too. Apparently they also have tickets available for the "splash zone", which I'm guessing means this thing is going to be seriously bloody. We're all hoping this will be a huge hit--come check it out!
Old 09-10-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this years ago when it ran in Toronto...not sure how much they would have changed the show since then, but it was a lot of fun to see and pretty well done for a low key production. Worth seeing for deadites.

MATT
Old 09-10-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When will people learn....

We need PLANET OF THE APES: THE MUSICAL!

Dr.Zaius, Dr. Zaius!
Old 09-10-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, between this and Spamalot, I need to go to New York.

Some info on the "splatter zone":
"Splatter Zone" tickets are available in the front rows of the theater for $25.00. Patrons in the "splatter zone" should be prepared for a bloody good time and dress accordingly.
http://www.theatermania.com/content/...fm/show/123434

Evil Dead: The Musical unearths the old familiar story: boy and friends take a weekend getaway at abandoned cabin, boy expects to get lucky, boy unleashes ancient evil spirit, friends turn into Candarian Demons, boy fights until dawn to survive. As musical mayhem descends upon this sleepover in the woods, "camp" takes on a whole new meaning with uproarious numbers like "All the Men in my Life Keep Getting Killed by Candarian Demons," "Look Who's Evil Now" and "Do the Necronomicon." Buzzing chainsaws and dancing demons add to the frenzy, slaying audiences with a tale of lust, love and dismemberment.
Oh my god, "Do the Necronomicon"!

Last edited by flashburn; 09-10-06 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
A theater in Chicago did their own version a few years back. Two years ago I saw them do "Boomstick The Musical," their version of Army of Darkness. It was awesome. I still have the soundtrack.
Old 09-10-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So it technically wouldn't be a movie, would it?!
-ringding-
Old 09-11-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
When will people learn....

We need PLANET OF THE APES: THE MUSICAL!

Dr.Zaius, Dr. Zaius!
i hate every ape i see, from chimpan A to chimpanzee, no you'll never make a monkey out of me!
Old 09-11-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds stupid enough to be good, if that makes any sense.
Old 09-11-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
I'm a little hesitant. I didn't find Spamalot to be that enjoyable. Just seemed like a bunch of LARP guys quoting Holy Grail. My wife really enjoyed it though and has the soundtrack on her iPod.
Old 09-12-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, you know they're going to do at least 4 or 5 revivals, so if you miss it this time around, don't be too mad.
Old 09-12-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This thread is more proof I'm glad not all horror threads go into Horror Talk.
Old 09-12-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will be definitely be there...
Old 09-12-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I smell one of these on the way.

Old 09-12-06, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
wow, should make a great double bill with the stage version of 'Cannibal: The Musical'
next up for the Landless Theatre here in DC is a stage version of 'Night of the Living Dead'

http://www.landlesstheatre.org/
Old 09-12-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, NYC had a rash of vampire musicals (Dracula, Lestat, etc.) - guess it's equal time for zombies.

(I will probably opt out of the "splatter zone", however.)
Old 09-12-06, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by marty888
Well, NYC had a rash of vampire musicals (Dracula, Lestat, etc.)
as I recall Lestat wasnt well recieved, nor was the stage version of Carrie for that matter.

surprisingly I was quite entertained by the musical score for Jekyll and Hyde (the musical), Colm Wilkinson's voice is perfect as the lead.
Old 11-07-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In case anyone is interested in the culture of the thea-TAH.

NY Post review
GIVE IT A (SEVERED, BLOODY) HAND
November 2, 2006 -- YOU'D better steel yourself for "Evil Dead: The Musical," the new theatrical adaptation of Sam Raimi's 1983 cult horror flick. Not because of all the blood spurting off the stage into the all too accurately named "Splatter Zone" - but to resist the relentless sledgehammer approach of a show that practically declared itself a cult sensation before anyone had a chance to see it.

Following "The Rocky Horror Show," this approach has become de rigueur for shows that cash in on the rabid need for communal irony. Even before the curtain went up on the preview I saw, the audience was as noisily revved up as the chain saw wielded by the story's hero.

Said hero is Ash (Ryan Ward, delivering an effective approximation of Bruce Campbell's deadpan comic performance in the film), who, along with several other horny young people, is besieged by evil spirits at a remote cabin in the woods.

As the characters succumb one by one to zombie - and bad makeup - transformations, they perform such numbers as "I'm Not a Killer," "Ode to an Accidental Stabbing" and the showstopper, "You Blew That Bitch Away."

Along the way, the audience is subjected to killer trees, many mimed masturbatory gestures, numerous severed limbs and heads with lives of their own, and dialogue on the order of "I'll smash your sac and make a testicle fondue."

Those who can't recite the film's dialogue by heart may be left cold by all the campy bloodletting, although numbers such as the one performed by a group of dancing demons have a certain goofy fun.

The sexy young cast members - who get ample opportunity to display their taut physiques - go through the paces with comic gusto. The staging by Christopher Bond and Hinton Battle has a number of funny, inventive touches, most of which involve gruesome effects.

Ultimately, "Evil Dead: The Musical" is for those who think the Greenwich Village Halloween parade isn't quite outrageous enough.

EVIL DEAD: THE MUSICAL
New World Stages, 340 W. 50th St.; (212) 239-6200.
Old 11-07-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Two years ago I saw them do "Boomstick The Musical," their version of Army of Darkness. It was awesome. I still have the soundtrack.
I would kill for a copy of that.

This sounds like it could be pretty fun. A local theater group here did their own version of "Cannibal: The Musical" which was highly entertaining. And the company I perform with has been toying with doing the stage version of "Reefer Madness" which I also love.
Old 09-07-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Bloody-Disgusting:
SpookyDan stumbled on some big news at this week's TIFF. The Evil Dead Musical is coming to theaters in 3-D, according to Screen Daily! Creators Christopher Bond and choreographer Hinton Battle are set to co-direct the amazing adaptation of the stage play that has been running here in Toronto for a while. The film should go in front of the cameras in Toronto sometime next spring. "I got a change to see it last weekend," says Spooky. "For fans of the film, it's amazing, for non-fans, it’s a blood soaked comedy with some great music. The highlight song is called 'What the Fuck Was That?' " Watch for more details as they come in.
Old 09-08-08, 01:37 AM
Cool New Member

Nooooooo!!!!
Old 09-08-08, 09:46 AM

Sweet. I've wanted to see the show but I don't live anywhere near where they play it.
Old 09-08-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hope this never happens. I'd probably go see the musical if it came to L.A., but no way in hell would I want to see it in theaters.