Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Romero's Dead Series..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit, I have been a long time fan of all the George Romero Dead movies and even the remakes. But I have to say after seeing Land Of The Dead for a second time recently I am really starting to like this one! Does anyone else think Land Of The Dead was a worthy addition to the series? Even with the high tech special effects it still felt like a true dead film..
Old 09-08-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its generally considered as the weakest of the Romero Dead films and I tend to agree. I'd rank 28 Days Later and the Dawn of the Dead remake ahead of this as well. Romero's getting beaten at his own game.
Old 09-08-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe i should rewatch Land of the Dead cuz i hated it the 1st time thru.
Old 09-08-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was very dissapointed after seeing it in the theater. I rewatched it on DVD when it first came out and it still didn't thrill me. I actually watched it again 4 days ago and really liked it. I don't know if it grew on me or if I just looked at in another light. I would actually rank it now just above Day (and under Dawn and Night of course).
Old 09-08-06, 11:14 PM

I haven't seen Land of the Dead yet because I was scared off by the reviews. I was disappointed with the Dawn of the Dead remake.
Old 09-09-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by astrochimp
Maybe i should rewatch Land of the Dead cuz i hated it the 1st time thru.
I would. I hated it in the theatre but rented it and thought it was decent. Will buy it whenever I see it for $6 or less.
Old 09-11-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
<- Huge fan of Living Dead films Romero or Non-Romero
<- thought Land was not that great. In fact, it sucked and the "evolved zombies" shit sucked. But hey...it's still zombies right?
<- Feels Romero started losing his "touch" when he put goofy music, zombies falling over each other in the Mall, and a FUCKIN' PIE THROWING SCENE in Dawn. I love DAWN and its' second only to "NIGHT", but that stuffed really bummed me out.
Old 09-11-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Side note. Romero is going to be appearing at the Circle Cinema in Tulsa OK in October. They are going to run all 4 dead movies with Q&A. The theater only holds 125 people, so chances are good you can get your questions in.
Old 09-11-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I would. I hated it in the theatre but rented it and thought it was decent. Will buy it whenever I see it for $6 or less.
They have it in a 2pack here with the Dawn of the Dead(remake) so im atleast tempted to grab it.
Old 09-12-06, 08:40 PM

I really like LAND and think it's worthy entry in the series. Romero's metaphor for America at this particular time was quite brilliant I think. Cynical as hell too, but with a touch of hopefulness.
Old 09-13-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love zombie movies and overall I liked Land of the Dead but I still don't get why they didn't kill(is that the right word in this case???) the zombies at the end. The Simon Baker character said something like “No. They’re just looking or a place to go. Just like us.” It's not like they are some minority looking for their place in the world and having to deal with rasicm. These are zombies that kill or try to kill every human they come in contact with by ripping them apart with their teeth & bare hands. Isn't that enough of a reason to try to destroy every single last one of them?

Any ideas?
Old 09-14-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
I love zombie movies and overall I liked Land of the Dead but I still don't get why they didn't kill(is that the right word in this case???) the zombies at the end. The Simon Baker character said something like “No. They’re just looking or a place to go. Just like us.” It's not like they are some minority looking for their place in the world and having to deal with rasicm. These are zombies that kill or try to kill every human they come in contact with by ripping them apart with their teeth & bare hands. Isn't that enough of a reason to try to destroy every single last one of them?

Any ideas?
I agree. That last line almost ruined it for me. I could see NOT shooting Big Daddy because He respected him as a worthy enemy, but the "...just looking for a place to go..." part was crap.
Old 09-14-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I think its generally considered as the weakest of the Romero Dead films and I tend to agree. I'd rank 28 Days Later and the Dawn of the Dead remake ahead of this as well. Romero's getting beaten at his own game.
Dead on. Such a disappointment
Old 09-16-06, 03:50 PM

I'd rank it as fourth best, as well, but I think it's a pretty solid film overall. As for best, that goes to Day.
Old 09-16-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Reaper
I'd rank it as fourth best, as well, but I think it's a pretty solid film overall. As for best, that goes to Day.
Nice to see another Day lover. I too rank Day as #1, a very unpopular choice.

Land is a fine addition to the series and I don't have the problems with it that others seem to have.

I've got a real interest in seeing his latest Dead entry come to fruition: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ghlight=romero
Old 09-17-06, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Land of the Dead seemed like a really good Sci-Fi Channel Original. Something that I'd enjoy watching on a boring Saturday afternoon as part of double-feature with a movie that has Coolio fighting giant insects. Not really something that sticks with you.
Old 09-17-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it was well made.

but, it sucked. thinking zombies!? i wasn't thrilled about fast zombies (but DAWN 04 changed my mind) but i have to draw the line about zombies who would rather kill in revenge (without evening knowing it!) than feed on the living.

But Romero is the grand daddy so, i guess, he can do whatever he wants. doesn't mean i like it, but i'll respect it.

(land might of fit better if Day was made as it was intended, but still i am against zombie evolution.)