Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever use/try Redbox?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was visiting my local Stop & Shop today and I noticed a dvd vending machine located at the main entrance. It was called Redbox and they have new release dvd's for $1 per day. They seemed to have quite alot to choose from. Has anyone used this service before and if so how is it? $1 per day seems quite reasonable to me!
Old 09-08-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I'd use it. What's a Stop and Shop, a market? In Vegas it's a gas station store with killer wings. If you think about it, it's $18 for 18 DVDs, about the same some people get from Netflix or BBuster sometimes. I'll keep my eye out for it.
Old 09-08-06, 11:49 AM
Banned

Sorry about that...Stop & Shop is a New England area super market, seems most of them in this area have the redbox...
Old 09-08-06, 12:35 PM

We use it a lot, also at Stop and Shop. It works great. $1 per day, return by 7PM the following day. If you keep it for 25 days you own it.

Not the best selection on the planet, but if you see something you like it's cool. You can see their current selections here:

http://redbox.com/Titles/index.cfm

Use "rent with promo code" the first time and type "FREEDVD" in and you'll get your first one free.
Old 09-08-06, 12:46 PM
Banned

Well, I visited the web site and I signed up for newsletter updates. They gave me the following code for one free rental: BREAKROOM I wonder how many codes you can use? I am going back today and rent United 93. I was not sure if I wanted to blind buy United 93 now I can spend $1 and see if it's worth it! When I looked at the actual redbox this morning it seems they get most of the major new releases each week. I even saw a dvd about the Zodiac killer, I saw this dvd at Walmart but I did not want to spend almost $20 for it, now I can see it for $1!
I am not sure how other people feel but it seems to me this redbox is a better deal than Netflix, I know Netflicks has just about everything available on dvd, but redbox has all the new releases which is what I usually rent...Count me in! Thanks for the info!
Old 09-08-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are two within 5 minutes of my house! Time to use the promo codes It wouldn't tell me the name of the business so I had to plug it in on the web, and they are at Smith's, also a grocery store.

Thanks, I'll post here tonight when I come back from an errand if I found them!

BTW they are located at:
  • Salt Lake City
  • Denver
  • Las Vegas
  • St. Louis
  • Houston
  • Twin Cities
  • Hartford
  • Washington DC/Baltimore

By the way, they have TV season sets!

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-08-06 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used them quite a bit. Good deal on new-release DVD's. I hate spending $4+ at a regular rental location for a movie I'll only watch once anyway.

The only complaint I have is it's sometimes hard to get the newest releases, even on release day. Typically I'll have to wait a few weeks for the really popular titles to be in stock.
Old 09-08-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I work at a Stop & Shop so every Tuesday I hit the Redbox for my new release fix. Can't beat $1 for a rental. Plus, there are always promo codes floating around for freebies.
If you're looking for codes, this site http://www.insideredbox.com/ has a lot of them.
Old 09-08-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to the OP for posting about this and thanks to Ed for the tons of codes I'll be using in the next two weeks That thing is AWESOME, and there two other people there to rent. How do people find out about this? Other than freebie codes, I'll be using it when BBuster has 1 disc out of 6 for a season set marked Very Long Wait (or single DVDs for that matter).
Old 04-12-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts
Re: Anyone ever use/try Redbox?

I used a promo code for a free movie (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Blu-ray) and I still had to pay $.33.

Subtotal: $1.50
Promo Savings: $1.20
Adjusted Subtotal: $0.30
Tax: $0.03
1st Day Price*: $0.33

If you reserve a movie online are you guaranteed to get the movie at the reserved kiosk?

I did that for the Muppets blu-ray 4 weeks ago and the movie was gone when I got there and that is why I got the free promo code.

There was still a day left before the reservation expired which was strange.

Old 04-12-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: Anyone ever use/try Redbox?

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I used a promo code for a free movie (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Blu-ray) and I still had to pay $.33.

Subtotal: $1.50
Promo Savings: $1.20
Adjusted Subtotal: $0.30
Tax: $0.03
1st Day Price*: $0.33
Because the promo code they gave you was for a free DVD, not a free blu ray