Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Are FYE and Overstock related?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question, especially from someone who signed up a few days ago, but I am trying to figure out what is going on with my situation. Let me explain...

So, when Lost Season 2 was announced, like always, I Pre-Ordered it. Overstock.com at the time had a 10% off deal so I went with them. A couple weeks later FYE had a great deal with 20% off with free shipping, and it had a $10 rebate, so I figured it's cheaper with or without the rebate, so why not? So I contacted overstock.com and canceled my order, and reordered it from FYE.

Here's where it gets weird...

Yesterday I got Lost Season 2 in the mail, but it was from overstock.com. I checked online and looked and they still list it as canceled. I'm pretty sure they have not billed me, I checked 2 of my accounts and they didn't have a charge on them, unfortunate my banking site is down so I can't check the third account that might have had the charge.

FYE has shipped the product, and I have been billed for it, but it hasn't come in yet. The tracking number they have listed online references something that was shipped in May, so that doesn't help me at all.
Old 09-08-06, 10:00 AM

Ah crap, I'm posting this in the wrong forum, sorry.
Old 09-08-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think that they are related. Overstock has shipped out cancelled orders in the past and the lucky recipient never gets billed(their fulfillment center must never get the cancellation notice). You should keep a check on your credit card, but you most likely got yourself a free copy of Lost.

BTW, welcome to the board.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 09-08-06 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I don't think that they are related. Overstock has shipped out cancelled orders in the past and the lucky recipient never gets billed(their fulfillment center must never get the cancellation notice). You should keep a check on your credit card, but you most likely got yourself a free copy of Lost.

BTW, welcome to the board.
Thanks, I've been a lurker for awhile, just never had a need to post.

This is great news, I hope you are right because I have a friend that wants to get into it, so I could sell him it for cheap.
Old 09-08-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by odditie
I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question, especially from someone who signed up a few days ago, but I am trying to figure out what is going on with my situation. Let me explain...

So, when Lost Season 2 was announced, like always, I Pre-Ordered it. Overstock.com at the time had a 10% off deal so I went with them. A couple weeks later FYE had a great deal with 20% off with free shipping, and it had a $10 rebate, so I figured it's cheaper with or without the rebate, so why not? So I contacted overstock.com and canceled my order, and reordered it from FYE.

Here's where it gets weird...

Yesterday I got Lost Season 2 in the mail, but it was from overstock.com. I checked online and looked and they still list it as canceled. I'm pretty sure they have not billed me, I checked 2 of my accounts and they didn't have a charge on them, unfortunate my banking site is down so I can't check the third account that might have had the charge.

FYE has shipped the product, and I have been billed for it, but it hasn't come in yet. The tracking number they have listed online references something that was shipped in May, so that doesn't help me at all.
when was there a 20% Off coupon?

The best one that I saw was 10%.
Old 09-08-06, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
when was there a 20% Off coupon?

The best one that I saw was 10%.
A couple months ago

EDIT: now that I think about it...it was just 10% off with free shipping. My bad

Last edited by odditie; 09-08-06 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 12:18 PM

Overstock charges you when the item is ordered so you may have been charged awhile ago.
Old 09-08-06, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by gjamesm
Overstock charges you when the item is ordered so you may have been charged awhile ago.
Thanks, I didn't know that

I looked back and I was charged then refunded and there is no additional charge since then so it looks like I got it for free.

Unless like I originally asked, FYE and Overstock would have some relation and it was the copy I'm getting from FYE.
Old 09-08-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are not affiliated at all.
Old 09-08-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by odditie
I looked back and I was charged then refunded and there is no additional charge since then so it looks like I got it for free.

Overstock seems to have developed a system that sometimes jumps up and bites them in the butt.

They process the charge for your purchase immediately, and once approved, they apparently forward the "ok to ship" info to Shipping. If it's a pre-order, it sits there until release date, and Shipping then fulfills its purpose in life.

If, in the meantime, you cancel (or if it's a misprice and they cancel) Overstock is great about immediately refunding the full amount back to your credit card. But sometmes the word doesn't get passed on to Shipping. And they ship. FREE DVDS!!!!

(I still haven't made my way through the 6-title Charles Dickens Collection!)
Old 09-08-06, 02:47 PM

So basically you are telling me to accept going to hell and just order pre-orders from them, wait a couple weeks then cancel them

I'm kidding of course
Old 09-08-06, 04:56 PM
Suspended

That's what happens when you deal with the Sith Lord. (Reference to the CEO of Overstock and his drivel)

The only way they are in related is that they have one thing in common...In my opinion they both suck.