Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Nightmare Before Christmas 3D -10/20/06

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

The Trailer Park: 'A Nightmare before Christmas' in 3D

Opening in theatres on October 20th is Tim Burtons animated classic 'A Nightmare Before Christmas' and below are a link to the trailer. Tim Burton’s holiday classic, THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, makes a return to the big screen this holiday season in stunning Disney Digital 3D™. The dazzling new make-over of the musical-fantasy was led by the film’s original filmmaking team of Academy Award® nominated writer/producer Tim Burton (“Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” “Corpse Bride”) and director Henry Selick (“James and the Giant Peach”) as well as the talented technical wizards at Industrial Light + Magic. Audiences will get closer than ever to Halloweentown’s beloved Pumpkin King, Jack Skellington (voiced by CHRIS SARANDON), as he attempts to take over the Christmas holiday. Against the advice of Sally (voiced by CATHERINE O’HARA), a lonely rag doll who has feelings for him, Jack enlists three mischievous trick-or-treaters – Lock, Shock, and Barrel – to help him kidnap Santa Claus. Jack eventually realizes his mistake but has to contend with the evil Oogie Boogie before he can make things right and restore the Christmas holiday. Fueled by an unforgettable Grammy® nominated soundtrack featuring ten ghoulishly delightful songs by Oscar® nominee Danny Elfman (“Corpse Bride,” “Big Fish”) who also provided the singing voice for Jack, Tim Burton’s THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS 3D combines the Oscar® nominated artistry of stop-motion animation with brand new state-of-the-art digital technology to create a unique and entertaining movie-going experience that is sure to become a modern holiday tradition.

Trailer & [COOL] Poster Art: http://www.freezedriedmovies.com/new...ll&NewsID=5074

FREEZEDRIEDMOVIES.com
Old 09-08-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I'm confused with the term "Digital 3D" ... what is it? Does that mean no blue/red 3d glasses?
Old 09-08-06, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Already a thread about this

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=464030

Digital 3D uses polarized lenses (gray) instead of red/blue anaglyph. Requires digital projection.
Old 09-08-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sceptical about how they transform 2-D into 3-D... how do they get the extra visual information fromt he second eye that's needed to create the 3D?
Regardless, this being my favorite animated movie, I'll be there opening night.
Old 10-20-06, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay guys! It's now October 20th! Lets have some reviews!!!

Old 10-20-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm going with a bunch of my family tonight. I've had my tickets for over a month. Can't wait!
Old 10-20-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I have the day off from work and might go this afternoon. My ears are still recovering from a concert last night (4 bands..... hello, can I hear you now?)

Last edited by TomOpus; 10-20-06 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-20-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Even if the 3D is lame, I'm excited about seeing MBC in the theaters again!
Old 10-20-06, 08:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm hoping this remains in theaters for at least a few weeks, I won't have access to IMAX until November 6th.
Old 10-20-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm hoping this remains in theaters for at least a few weeks, I won't have access to IMAX until November 6th.
Why take a chance? I'd opt to see it in a local digital projection theater now and then if it's still playing when you get access to an IMAX theater that's showing it, then go see it again in IMAX.

Down here, it's playing in 5 different theaters. It's nice to have several theaters with dig projection but I wished there were more.
Old 10-20-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought it was awesome! Real sharp print. The is my first Digital 3D film though. I wanted to see Monster House but missed out on it.

On a side note be careful with the glasses as my friend broke them easily. The people working there said they have been having that problem with a lot of them.
Old 10-20-06, 10:33 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Why take a chance? I'd opt to see it in a local digital projection theater now and then if it's still playing when you get access to an IMAX theater that's showing it, then go see it again in IMAX.

Down here, it's playing in 5 different theaters. It's nice to have several theaters with dig projection but I wished there were more.
The movie isn't playing in any theaters in my area, I just checked. The closest IMAX just started playing Superman Returns recently, so they're not up on the latest releases.

Is that poster for sale anywhere, by the way? I must have it.
Old 10-20-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think this movie is even showing in IMAX, or if it is, it must just be a select few screens. Looks like it's just showing everywhere on regular Digital screens.
Old 10-20-06, 11:07 PM
Banned by request

You know what? You're absolutely right. I presumed it was an IMAX 3-D production because that's the technology everyone is raving about right now (and rightly so).

Is this more like traditional 3-D?
Old 10-20-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The movie isn't playing in any theaters in my area, I just checked.
That blows
Is that poster for sale anywhere, by the way? I must have it.
I haven't looked yet. I would imagine it would be fairly limited. I was thinking of asking the theater manager what they do with posters once the movie is done.
Old 10-21-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what? You're absolutely right. I presumed it was an IMAX 3-D production because that's the technology everyone is raving about right now (and rightly so).

Is this more like traditional 3-D?
What do you mean by traditional? Like the red/blue variety? If so, the answer is no.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Touchstone Pictures name was removed from the credits and it just said Disney 3D. I'll probably go and see it again so I'll pay more attention next time.
Old 10-21-06, 12:14 AM
Banned by request

By more traditional I mean where the image comes out at the audience, instead of the IMAX 3-D, where they deepen the depth of field, so it looks like you're looking at a window at objects that have real volume and distance from each other.
Old 10-21-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By more traditional I mean where the image comes out at the audience, instead of the IMAX 3-D, where they deepen the depth of field, so it looks like you're looking at a window at objects that have real volume and distance from each other.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Traditional kind then! The glasses were just clear, not colored. I was shocked at that because I thought they still used the old style glasses. lol

I have never had the chance to see a film via IMAX 3D so I really only compare it to my viewings of the old 3D movies of yesteryear. Hey, I havn't seen any 3D movie since Nightmare 6.

Anyway, this movie actually worked really good in 3D. Just seeing Nightmare on the big screen alone was worth it.

There was a "Snow Globe" 3D short in front of it as well.

*Actually, now that I have had time to think about it I would say the 3D used in this film seemed a little like both of what you describe SM. I'm thinking on certain seens now where it could go either way. The press release states the process they used is similar to Chicken Little but Nightmare was a 2D source. I havn't seen Chicken Little so I can't comment.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 10-21-06 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-21-06, 12:49 AM
Banned by request

AFAIK, Chicken Little was more of the IMAX style 3-D. Of course, the effect of seeing things with real distance from each other means that some of will come towards you, but for the most part it's like everything is happening in reality, just through a window.

And there is a 3-D technique called polarized 3-D which used clear glasses for years. The blue/red glasses are what people think of when they think of 3-D, but it's really the inferior technique.

From wikipedia:
From 1952 to 1954, 3D movies became very popular with more than 30 titles enjoying wide distribution , then faded away as the competing Cinemascope widescreen systems became an attraction for theaters. Contrary to frequently stated claims[citation needed], 98% of the screenings in theaters in the fifties were presented in polarized, dual projector interlocked format… not anaglyph with colored glasses according to American 3d historians, Ray Zone and Dan Symnes in their several books on 3d. Spy Kids 3D was commercially successful in theaters using anaglyph paper glasses in 2003. The DVD did not sell or rent well, due to video retailers not wanting to deal with the paper glasses. Polar Express, in 2004, used the superior IMAX polarized method for 3D. That film made $62 million dollars in less than 90 theaters over two holiday seasons. It earned 14 times as much as the 2D version of the film,per screen, which is "un-precedented"[citation needed]. A second, anaglyph film, 2005 by Robert Rodriquez, The Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl failed to recover investment by many millions. The film had been processed in a highly "desaturated" 3D style, which was not very appealing. Disney released their 2005 Chicken Little in about 84 theaters, in digital polarized 3D. It earned nearly 3 times the gross of the much wider 2D release. 6 new films were slated for 3D release in 2006. They include Monster House, portions of the IMAX version of Superman Returns, The Ant Bully, Open Season, Nightmare before Christmas ,converted to 3D, Fly Me to the Moon, all in polarized 3D. Anaglyph may have more applicability in the home market, should this crop of polarized 3D films prove commercially viable in theaters. At this point, anaglyph offers the only practical method for wide distribution of 3D home DVDs, or HD broadcasting in 3D, without costly electronic glasses.

And about polarized 3D:
Polarized Motion Pictures have been around since the middle of the 20th century. The so called "3D movie craze" in the years 1952, through 1955 was mostly offered in theaters using polarizing projection and glasses. Only a minute amount of the total 3D films shown in the period used the anaglyph color filter method. What is new is the use of digital projection, and also the use of sophisticated IMAX 70mm film projectors, with very reliable mechanisms. A whole new generation of 3D animation films are beginning to show up in the theaters, all using some form of polarization. Polarization is not easily used for home 3D tv or DVD presentation. At this point only anaglyph glasses, paper or plastic can be used to view the new HD shows at are beginning to be aired occasionally by NBC and the Discovery Channel.

The only thing about these articles that seems off is that IMAX 3D is a different process from traditional polarized 3D, and as such could be reasonably and reliably recreated in HD formats, due to the nature of how HD is projected on TV.
Old 10-21-06, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it today at the El Capitan in Hollywood. Film looked amazing. Had a great time.
Old 10-21-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now what would this mean for this once it is released onto DVD?! Anything at all? Probably not, unless those 3D glasses work at home? Doubtful. You'd have to have a Special TV for 3D, no?
Old 10-22-06, 12:21 AM

Yesterday DIGITAL BITS posted a link to FROMSCRIPTTODVD site's list of where NIGHTMARE BEFORE X-MAS is showing in 3d. It's not playing in to many places.

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/nightmare_xmas_3d.htm
Old 10-22-06, 12:31 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Now what would this mean for this once it is released onto DVD?! Anything at all? Probably not, unless those 3D glasses work at home? Doubtful. You'd have to have a Special TV for 3D, no?
It could be done with red/blue glasses or with some conversion they might be able to do it over HDTV. But the red/blue is more likely. However, I doubt we'll see the 3D version on DVD.
Old 10-22-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The DLP projection of this film is perfect. The 3D was also well done. It was worth the $11.50 ticket price I paid. Fans of this movie need to see this version.
Old 10-22-06, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
BTW, I'm pretty sure Touchstone Pictures name was removed from the credits and it just said Disney 3D. I'll probably go and see it again so I'll pay more attention next time.
Thats pretty funny since the first thing out on the dvd commentary they make it real clear that It had nothing to do with Disney after they abandoned them. I don't have the dvd handy or I'd give you the actual quote.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.