Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica: The Resistance (Web Series)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/video/webisodes

Detailing the time between S2 and S3, this 10-part series will have new episodes every Tuesday and Thursday leading up the S3 premeire on Friday 10/6.

Part 1 is only about 3 minutes long and appears to be heavy on the foreshadowing.

EDIT: Updated url.

Last edited by pinata242; 09-12-06 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-05-06, 01:10 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-05-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
I'm semi-comatose from DragonCon, but that link still has me sorta vibrating in my chair in anticipation.
Old 09-05-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome. I think this is a good thing for shows to do.
Old 09-05-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
As long as it shows up on the DVDs.
Old 09-05-06, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really looking forward to every Tues/Thurs now for new webisodes...just can't wait for S3 to start!
Old 09-05-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It would be if the eps were downloadable instead of just streaming. Streaming files just alienate dial-up users IMO.
Old 09-05-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

interesting. can't say I totally followed the "show" though. perhaps my mind is a bit hazy on where the webisode picks up
Old 09-05-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Assuming these are all between 3-5 minutes it will make for a good episode 00 for the season 3.0 set
Old 09-05-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This looks awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-06-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If this isn't on the Season 3.0 set directly, I have no doubt it will at the very least be a bonus disc at some retailer.
Old 09-06-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
If this isn't on the Season 3.0 set directly, I have no doubt it will at the very least be a bonus disc at some retailer.
Definitely I can see that being a BB or CC bonus disk. Considering what these webisodes are supposed to be about coupled with the preview of Season 3 does everyone basically believe they will ditch the idea of covering much of the occupation in the regular season 3 episodes and jump right in to a resistance/cylon war?
Old 09-06-06, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Love it!

This is a really good idea I think. Lost apparently is going to do something like this during their big break (though they are calling them mobisodes - I'm assuming they'll be available streaming online like this as well).

All of these together should amount to about 1 full episode.
Old 09-06-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kakihara1
Definitely I can see that being a BB or CC bonus disk.
Most of those bonus discs don't interest me. I'm really hoping that trend continues by them not offering these through BB or CC. I'd rather pay the online prices.
Old 09-06-06, 03:08 PM

So I take it I'm the only one pissed off about this? I mean BG is by far my favortie show. One of many I like to watch on TV. Yes, TV. A full screen, full sound, and without pauses in the broadcast while it re-buffers!

Are you guys kidding me? Some actually think this is a good idea?! You like all your shows to be 4 inches wide and dependent on your interent connection?

What the hell is SciFi thinking with this? They couldn't afford air time on thier own network? This is just sloppy. I haven't seen a network handle a show this badly since... well since every show Fox ever had, but still that's Fox. SciFi isn't run by Fox it's run by NBC. No slouches in sloppy behavior themselves but nothing this bad that I can remember.

Ugh. This just upsets me.

Was quite happy with SciFi for this show and Eureka and now this crap. Just glossing over part of this series in tiddy little "webisodes." Makes me want to fart in thier general direction and then catapult a cow over thier wall.
Old 09-06-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JsphOfArimethia
So I take it I'm the only one pissed off about this?
Probably.

I thought it was pretty cool...moreso for the montage at the end than the episode itself.

Best show on basic cable.
Old 09-06-06, 03:49 PM

I think it's cool.
Old 09-06-06, 03:56 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
So I take it I'm the only one pissed off about this? I mean BG is by far my favortie show. One of many I like to watch on TV. Yes, TV. A full screen, full sound, and without pauses in the broadcast while it re-buffers!

Are you guys kidding me? Some actually think this is a good idea?! You like all your shows to be 4 inches wide and dependent on your interent connection?

What the hell is SciFi thinking with this? They couldn't afford air time on thier own network? This is just sloppy. I haven't seen a network handle a show this badly since... well since every show Fox ever had, but still that's Fox. SciFi isn't run by Fox it's run by NBC. No slouches in sloppy behavior themselves but nothing this bad that I can remember.

Ugh. This just upsets me.

Was quite happy with SciFi for this show and Eureka and now this crap. Just glossing over part of this series in tiddy little "webisodes." Makes me want to fart in thier general direction and then catapult a cow over thier wall.

-----------------------

Yeah, you ARE the only one pissed off about this... because the options are these webisodes, or NOTHING. And I would rather have some interesting BSG webisode to tide me over until the new season starts. Seasons of successful, returning shows END for a reason. The cast and crew need vacation. The F/X need to be added. Shows need to be edited. Writers need to write. The people who create BSG aren't just sitting around on their asses during the entire summer, they are likely actively working on S3 (and likely beyond) which WILL be on your television set. So calm down, enjoy the webisodes, or don't for all I care... but jesus, don't bitch about some FREE extra stuff the producers/creators decided to throw our way. It's highly unlikely that you will enjoy the upcoming season more or less for watching the webisodes, so take your ativan, and chill the hell out!
Old 09-06-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty much think your're the only one pissed off. Do you get pissed off when they release movie trailers online? Same deal.
Old 09-06-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by huh?
Pretty much think your're the only one pissed off. Do you get pissed off when they release movie trailers online? Same deal.
I'm the opposite. I hate it when they don't play the trailer for the movie I'm about to watch. Actually, didn't BSG used to do basically that with a little montage of what you're about to see at the start of an episode?
Old 09-06-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I just hope they're better than the Doctor Who S2 tardisodes...
Old 09-06-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by huh?
No, it's not. Movie trailers are advertisements. This is new content that won't be repeated. I'm not exactly thrilled about this myself, but as most things end up on DVD season sets, it's not the end of the world.

It's only going to get more complex as time goes on too. Like it or not, convergence between the web, video games, broadcast TV and movies is going to blue the viewing experience. Remember Enter the Matrix? The Animatrix? How about the Clone Wars series, where some very important story elements (Anakin becoming a full Jedi, how lightsabers are created) were relegated to a poorly animated cartoon.

I'll decide whether I'm pissed off about The Resistance until after I see the whole thing. My initial reaction was negative, but in the long run, if it's merely filler and short vignettes, it might be better than a bunch of flashbacks (remember how everyone complained about those?). Hopefully, the can start using snippets from these in the opening credits as opposed to episode spoilers too.
Old 09-06-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
No, it's not. Movie trailers are advertisements. This is new content that won't be repeated. I'm not exactly thrilled about this myself, but as most things end up on DVD season sets, it's not the end of the world.

It's only going to get more complex as time goes on too. Like it or not, convergence between the web, video games, broadcast TV and movies is going to blue the viewing experience. Remember Enter the Matrix? The Animatrix? How about the Clone Wars series, where some very important story elements (Anakin becoming a full Jedi, how lightsabers are created) were relegated to a poorly animated cartoon.

I'll decide whether I'm pissed off about The Resistance until after I see the whole thing. My initial reaction was negative, but in the long run, if it's merely filler and short vignettes, it might be better than a bunch of flashbacks (remember how everyone complained about those?). Hopefully, the can start using snippets from these in the opening credits as opposed to episode spoilers too.
If they piss you off, don't watch them. I really don't see what the big deal is.
Old 09-06-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
Clone Wars series ... a poorly animated cartoon.
Objection! Argumentative...

Anyway, I don't get the hostility. I can't know for sure, but I'm guessing anything that happens in this 30-minute, mini-episode won't be critically important for S3, like the Clone Wars. I also fully believe it will appear on dvd as well, possibly even recut into a full episode 3x00.

I'm well in the camp of taking anything I can get over the next month since I've been dying to get back to New Caprica.
Old 09-06-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

from Ron Moore's blog..

Who Did What on the Webisodes
As you may or may not know, SciFi.com has begun posting a series of Galactica "Webisodes" on SciFi Pulse this week. Each Tues and Thurs they're going to put up a new 'sode, leading up to to the premiere of Season Three on October 6th. We're very excited about the Webisodes and I think they're unlike anything anyone has done in this arena to date, so I hope you'll all take a moment to check them out.

It's important to know that these Webisodes weren't done haphazardly or on the fly in between takes of the regular show. They had to be written, produced, shot and edited by a very specific group of people:

They were directed by Wayne Rose.

They were written by Bradley Thompson & David Weddle.

They were executive produced by myself and David Eick.

They were produced by Harvey Frand.

They were also produced by Bradley Thompson & David Weddle.

The post production work was produced by Paul Leonard.

The actors were Michael Hogan (Saul Tigh), Aaron Douglas (Chief Tyrol), Nikki Clyne (Cally), Matthew Bennett (Doral), Christian Tessier (Duck), Dominic Zamprogna (Jammer), Emily Holmes (Nora), Alisen Down (Barolay), and Carmen Moore (Sister Tivenan).

The director of photography was John Drake.

They were edited by Michael O'Halloran, Tim Kinzy, Ian Kezbaum, and Harry Jierjian.

The music is by Bear McCreary.

The visual effects were supervised by Gary Hutzel.

The unit production manager was Boris Ivanov

The first assistant directors were Shirley-Anne Parsons and Alexia Droz.

The second assistant director was Mindy Heslin.

The costumes on the set were supervised by Keith Parent.

The make-up artist was Ankara Eden.

The second assitant make-up person was Liz Raman Nair.

The first assistant hair stylist was Jamie McKay.

The assistants in charge of props were Glenn Hilworth, Gerry Thompson, and Robert Stecky.

The sound mixer was Mark Noda.

The boom operators were Keith Henderson and Tony Wyman.

The first assistant camera person was Shannon Abbott.

The digital imaging technician was Tracy Sim.

The gaffer was Guy Patterson.

The best boy electic was Paul Bougie.

The genny operator was Murray Chysyk.

The lamp op was Blair McDonald.

The key grip was Mark Leiterman.

The best boy grips were Dave McKinlay and Ron Baran.

The script supervisor was Carol Green-Lundy.

Our medic and craft services person was Tim Gunderson.

The Galactica Main Title Theme was composed by Richard Gibbs.

Scoring and orchestral engineering were done by Steve Kaplan.

The music editor was Michael Baber.

The special effects coordinators were Al Collis and Kevin Andruschak.

The studio executive was Richard Rothstein.

The studio executive in charge of production was Todd Sharp.

The network executives were Mark Stern and Erik Storey.

All of the above people worked above and beyond the call of duty to deliver these Webisodes to you and they did it while also working to deliver the regular episodes of the third season. They did it without any template of how these things were to be done and they did it in defiance of a limited budget and a extraordinarily truncated shooting schedule.

I'm proud of them and proud of their work. I hope you'll agree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.