Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Gladiator: 3-disc extended edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gladiator: 3-disc extended edition

Question: is there any option with this DVD set to play the movie through in it's theatrical cut? I would really enjoy the nicer digipack packaging, the 2 discs of extras and the commentary with Russell Crowe participating, but it is the opinion of many reviewers and even the director himself that the theatrical cut is the preferred/better feature. I currently just have a single-disc release of the theatrical cut with commentary by Scott, his editor and his cinematographer as the only extra.
Old 09-04-06, 12:40 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I don't think there is. That's the main reason why I went out of my way to find the out-of-print 2-disc Theatrical release.
Old 09-04-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I don't think there is. That's the main reason why I went out of my way to find the out-of-print 2-disc Theatrical release.
Oh ... that's a real shame. I've just found out the Extended Edition no longer contains a DTS track, too. So I'll probably give it a miss.
Old 09-04-06, 12:45 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've been wanting to pick up the Extended Edition as well, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 09-04-06, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own both, I have yet to open the 3-disc dvd set because I haven't watched Gladiator in quite awhile. When I do I will checkout the 3-discer. This info helped me because I was kind of thinking about selling the 2-disc set. Now, I think I may keep it since I wouldn't get squat for it anyhow.
Old 09-04-06, 03:34 AM

I have the extended edition but have not yet opened it. According to the features list on the back of the box, it DOES contain the theatrical cut. The Amazon lsiting says so as well: http://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Exte...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Old 09-04-06, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All your questions can be answered in this previous thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=418159
Old 09-04-06, 09:16 AM

Amazon is wrong. That's why some people kept/bought the 2-disc also. That and for the DTS. And maybe for bonus features that weren't carried over.
Old 09-04-06, 10:32 AM

Er...Amazon isn't wrong in this case. The DTS track is gone, but the original theatrical cut is still there. When you insert disc 1 it brings you to a menu of which version you want to view. I, like others prefer the theatrical cut, and even upon picking the extended cut, Ridley pretty much makes it clear this is not his preferred cut.
Old 09-04-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Found the extended edition in my Local superstore's bargain bin for 14.44 cad the other day. Very nice
Old 09-04-06, 11:38 AM

The 3-Disc Gladiator Extended Edition contains BOTH the theatrical cut and the extended edition. It even explains in the trivia track why there wasn't room to fit the DTS track, along with comparative bitrates. It was intentionally designed to supplement the original 2-Disc release, creating a 5-Disc Ultimate Edition. Yes, it actually says all of this on the trivia track!
Old 09-04-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Count de Monet
The 3-Disc Gladiator Extended Edition contains BOTH the theatrical cut and the extended edition. It even explains in the trivia track why there wasn't room to fit the DTS track, along with comparative bitrates. It was intentionally designed to supplement the original 2-Disc release, creating a 5-Disc Ultimate Edition. Yes, it actually says all of this on the trivia track!
Wow, never thought about that
Old 09-04-06, 01:18 PM

Well color me stupid
Old 09-04-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts
If it was intentionally designed to supplement the original why bother putting the theatrical version on the extended DVD?
Old 09-04-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Just curious, the extended cut, does it have a extended opening battle scene? I really enjoyed that scene, just wondering if that was extended if at all, i'm not going to buy the extended 3-disc movie if that scene isn't extended.
Old 09-04-06, 07:06 PM

The opening battle scene is a bit longer, I can't remember exactly how much more, but I definitely remember seeing bits I didn't remember from the theatrical.

Does anyone know exactly what special features aren't on the 3-discer that the original 2-discer had, besides the original commentary? I didn't realize there'd be stuff they wouldn't port when I gave away my 2-disc version, never even finished watching them.
Old 09-04-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jailonacs99
The opening battle scene is a bit longer, I can't remember exactly how much more, but I definitely remember seeing bits I didn't remember from the theatrical.

Does anyone know exactly what special features aren't on the 3-discer that the original 2-discer had, besides the original commentary? I didn't realize there'd be stuff they wouldn't port when I gave away my 2-disc version, never even finished watching them.
With the exception of the trailers, a few TV spots and probably some of the photo galleries, none of the other bonus material has been brought over.
Old 09-04-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know why they didn't just go all out and make it a 4-disc set, not unlike Ridley's other film Kingdom of Heaven, but whatever.

EDIT: My point is that they could have just split the film onto two discs, thereby providing more than enough space for DTS.
Old 09-04-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a BIG proponent of dts. One of the reasons I buy discs is because of dts soundtracks, check my profiler link. BUT.....If your not getting the extended edition because of a lack of dts, You are missing one of the best dolby digital tracks I have ever heard PERIOD. I also was a little upset when I first heard the news when this edition was announced. I am a Ridley Scott fan so I had to have it.
Old 09-05-06, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't mind missing out on DTS is the DD5.1 soundtrack is up to scratch. An example is King Kong released recently. But what I really dislike is not being able to choose to watch the theatrical cut. I've discovered the Region 4 release of this title does not have branching but the Region 1 does, which might go a way to explaining how some people are claiming it doesn't feature the theatrical cut and some are saying it does. The lack of DTS was just an additional factor for me to give it the skip.
Old 09-05-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I got the 3-disc set when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. I already owned the previous 2-disc DTS edition but the DD on the extended one is great.