Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I think my Xbox 360 is dying - can anyone tell me for sure?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I tried to play Madden 07 and Saints Row today and within 3 minutes of playing either game, the console completely froze. No error messages, no red rings, but the screen froze. This happened twice with Madden and once with Saints Row --- is it just a matter of time now before I get the rings of death and should I contact Microsoft about getting it fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Old 09-03-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it might be dying. That's what my console has been doing to me for the last week or so, and I contacted support and they told me it looks like it's gonna need to get fixed. You haven't played Dead Rising by any chance?
Old 09-03-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you say it froze, did it look like there were dotted lines running up and down your sceen? If so, then unfortunately you are in trouble. I had the same thing happen to me before I got the red ring of death about a week or so later. If I were you, I would call M$ as soon as possible. Do you still have a warranty? If not, you can try to argue with them and get the price knocked down a bit. I know I only ended up paying $97 for my repair since they guy said I just missed my warranty by a few days. Just be ready to get a lot of BS from them and be put on hold a lot. They are going to tell you to remove the hard drive to determine if it is a console issue are not. So I would do that before you call and also have your serial number ready to go. I wish you the best of luck man. I've been there and I know how much it sucks.
Old 09-03-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's horseshit that there was no durability run on these systems. It seems that MANY people are experiencing issues like mine. I maybe play 2-3 hours per week and keep my 360 in an open area for ventilation. If a car manufacturer put out shit like this, they'd have a recall on their hands. Microsoft should be fixing these things for free!
Old 09-03-06, 06:05 PM
Banned

I have a launch unit, still works fine till this day. Played a few hours of obilivion, burnout revenge and SF2 online and still no issues. Those with problems are more vocal, although it does seem like the problems are higher then MS wants to make it out to be, its still not an epidemic like a lot of people want to make it out as.
Old 09-03-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get why they make you pay for it (even if it's after warranty) when it's painfully obvious that it's not an isolated issue...it's obviously their fault.
Old 09-03-06, 08:59 PM

Sorry to say, but I think it's about to die. Same thing happened to me. Actually was doing that for a good week and then redlights came when I tried to reset.
Old 09-03-06, 11:31 PM

Same here with me. After I started freezing with Dead Rising, I got 1 red light on the bottom right hand side. Restarted and was able to play. Froze again and again after that and was only able to play arcade games. As I was backing up my harddrive of saves to a memory card, I froze with the dotted lines and then got 3 red lights. I was able to reboot and still play XBLA games, but I just got the 360 return box so I'm sending in my system for repair on Tuesday.
Old 09-04-06, 01:36 AM

Clear your cache before starting a game. Bascilly turn on your console and then hold the A button down until the games main menu pops on the screen. If that doesn't help buy a nyko intercooler. It's fixed all of my freezing problems.

Also make sure you console can breath and I don't mean 2 inches on each side. I'm talking have it in the open. if you have to stand it on top of the of your tv stand or something hard and flat thats close. A floorstanding speaker, bookshelf etc.
Old 09-07-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's official. My GD Xbox just died - 3 red rings. Im extremely disappointed to say the least. The CSR is telling me that it's going to cost $140 to get this thing fixed... I can't even imagine what the fix actually is. My guess is that within two years, all the launch Xbox's will have failed and there will be a class action lawsuit against Microsoft to reimburse the early adopters. You can't just manufacture shit like this and expect customers to accept it.

Anyone know how long it takes to get fixed?
Old 09-07-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
Anyone know how long it takes to get fixed?
It took them 5 days to get me the box, I sent it back to them a week ago on Wednesday, still no word as of today.

Looking at a few boards, there has been a stark increase over the last 3-4 weeks in the number of people reporting dead 360's due to the same reason (repeated frozen screen problems, followed eventually by the 3 red flashing lights, the 0102 error code). I wonder how many of those were launch units (like mine).

Last edited by Daryl; 09-07-06 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 12:30 PM

I too have a release day 360.

Just over Labor Day weekend, I put Saint's Row into my XBox 360. I was in customer characterization and the screen froze. Turned the system off and on again and the red ring (3 lights - all but top right light) came on. XBox menu screen then froze. Tried turning it off and on again several times but same thing kept happening. Now the red light is on constantly and the XBox screen doesn't even display at all. Before I found your post, researched this a bit and found others with same/similar problems while using or after using Saint's Row. Though I am not done looking, the ones I saw said their systems were purchased in May and June.

Called Microsoft, performed the troubleshooting steps (unplugging and replugging all cords, remove hard drive and replace) and since that didn't work they said that I would need to have it fixed.

This is BS. $400+++ into a system that doesn't even last a year? I am wondering if the newer games are causing issues. I have played Dead Rising on it recently. Froze only once but was ok after that. Haven't played Madden '07 yet but it seems it went to pot after Saint's Row. If Microsoft and game creators don't test the games well enough on the system and as a result, it screws my system up but yet they are making a profit from the sale of the games .... I shouldn't be the one having to fork over $$$$!!!!!
Old 09-10-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I too only started having problems after playing Saints Row and Madden 07. That said, I don't think it's the games causing the problems (although that's what MS wants us to think) - I really think that these systems weren't properly tested and ALL of them will fail within two years. Same manufacturing methods, same parts, same processes, etc = same failures.
Old 09-10-06, 05:32 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too only started having problems after playing Saints Row and Madden 07. That said, I don't think it's the games causing the problems (although that's what MS wants us to think) - I really think that these systems weren't properly tested and ALL of them will fail within two years. Same manufacturing methods, same parts, same processes, etc = same failures.
I doubt that is the case. There definitely appear to be some bad batches of 360s, but many (including myself) have not had a single problem. Many people reported from the beginning that their 360 runs very hot. Mine does not. In fact, it was only a little warm after leaving it on for over 7 days straight playing Dead Rising to get the 7-day survivor achievment. This leads me to believe the cooling system is defective in some units, possibly due to an assembly problem at one of the multiple manufacturing plants.
Old 09-10-06, 06:03 PM

I have had my 360 since Jan. and it has played fine since day 1. No freezing, no red rings absolutely nothing. and then the unthinkable happens. I pop in Star Wars Battlefront 2. I get prompted to download an update for the game, so i download it. The game starts and i go on xbox live. I get to the team select screen and BAM! the screen freezes with a red and yellow clolored checkered boxes all over the screen. I turn off the system and turn it back on with the game out of the tray and the 3 red lights start to flash So i turn it back off and remove the HD and try it again, now its 4 red lights. I have never had any problems with it until now. I guess you can add me to the thousands of broken units.

*****update*****

I called Microsoft's CSR, they have officially ruled that my 360 is dead. The CSR that I talked to said that they have been receiving calls with the same problems as mine. I wonder if it has to do with the BC update that just came out not to long ago? Has anyone else had any problems with the latest BC update? I guess the it was a good thing i bought the extended warranty from MS. Now i just wonder how long they will take to return me my 360.

Last edited by neo247; 09-10-06 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-10-06, 06:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is freezing up lately, but there are no dotted lines or checked boxes like described above. It just looks like a still screen grab. I haven't gotten any red rings, but I do have to manually power it off to reset. It did this during Cloning Clyde today.
Old 09-12-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine back today, well actually someone else's as they, as expected, sent me a refurbished one they had already fixed. It took just short of 2 weeks after sending it back to them. One question that I can't seem to find any documentation on: do i get any type of warranty on this refurbished model (even like 14 days)? Or if this thing breaks tomorrow, would I have to pay again? Is it possible to now add the extended warranty?
Old 09-12-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
I don't get why they make you pay for it (even if it's after warranty) when it's painfully obvious that it's not an isolated issue...it's obviously their fault.

My thoughts as well. What in the hell is microsoft thinking??

This is going to bite them in the ass.
Old 09-12-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe you'll get a 30 day warranty, but, as expected, you can call MS and get yourself a 1 or 2 year warranty on your refurbed unit. I don't know about you guys, but Im paying for the warranty. I think it's BS, but I don't want to pay another $140 in 6-12 months.
Old 09-12-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Mine is freezing up lately, but there are no dotted lines or checked boxes like described above. It just looks like a still screen grab. I haven't gotten any red rings, but I do have to manually power it off to reset. It did this during Cloning Clyde today.

Yeah Mine froze last night while playng a LIVE game. I really hope the host just quit and that it wasn't my 360.
Old 09-12-06, 09:13 PM
Mok

I had a problem yesterday while playing Saint's Row, the game froze while I was deleting a car from my garage. I turned the system on and off and it started up fine, but I'm worried this could happen again. This is really scary living in fear of playing a game that might kill your system.
Old 09-13-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mok,

not to get your feathers ruffled, but that's a clear sign of things to come. Mine also froze and then, upon reset, played fine.... until the next day. About one week later I get the red rings.
Old 09-13-06, 10:03 AM
Mok

Mok,

not to get your feathers ruffled, but that's a clear sign of things to come. Mine also froze and then, upon reset, played fine.... until the next day. About one week later I get the red rings.
Well thankful I have the 2yr warranty then.