Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

POSSIBLE B2G1F at Gamestop / EB on 9/4

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POSSIBLE B2G1F at Gamestop / EB on 9/4

After the last fiasco, I learned not to trust one of the EB managers when he told me a sale was coming. So this time I've checked with other managers in the area, and here's what they had to say - GS has told the stores to "be prepared" to have a B2G1F sale on Labor Day only. They haven't made it official, but that is the current plan. So use this weekend to check out your local store and see if there's anything you want to grab. I've already got my route planned, as the EB / GS stores in my area are overflowing with box sets thanks to a pair of thieves that work from here all the way up to about an hour and a half north. I'd really like to know how they're getting all this crap... at just one EB they've traded in at least 10 copies of Band of Brothers.

Anyhow, as soon as I get confirmation either way, I'll update here.
Old 09-01-06, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the tip. I will be prepared.
Old 09-01-06, 09:56 AM

and now is when i would LOVE to find wire season 3 and carnivale season 2 at a gamestop. well, i would love to all the time, but this time especially!!!
Old 09-01-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you have to be a member to their club to get the deal?
Old 09-01-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, but if you shop there with any frequency, I'd join. That card paid for itself within three months.
Old 09-04-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No deal at mine.
Old 09-04-06, 12:58 PM

Not at mine either.
Old 09-04-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Man, what's the deal? They used to have this sale at least once a month. I think June was the last time it was running. My Gamestop has crappy dvds anyways. It is always beat up copies of Smallville or Desperate Housewives.
Old 09-04-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not at mine, they did have a 3 for 10$/20$/30$ deal for 5.99/9.99/12.99 dvds. But that didn't seem all that special. I suppose the 3/20$ is the same as buy2g1.
Old 09-04-06, 01:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
...You just need to stop, lol. Check out CAG...if a deal is posted there its good. If its posted here first, and relates to a gamestore, its most likley not gonna happen.
Old 09-04-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nothing at mine, either. Still found some good deals in the 3/$10 bin, but no sale. Shame, too, since mine has the first two seasons of Deadwood.

I asked the clerk if he knew of any sale coming up and he said they never tell them ahead of time. He was pretty stand-offish about the whole thing, actually.
Old 09-04-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was just in a few today....no deals...except for the 3 for $20 ones etc.

I did manage to pick up all mint condition:

Fletch, GI Joe: The Movie and Mick Foley: Greatest Hits and Misses for $6.67 a piece.
Old 09-04-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Man, what's the deal? They used to have this sale at least once a month. I think June was the last time it was running. My Gamestop has crappy dvds anyways. It is always beat up copies of Smallville or Desperate Housewives.
I've only been a GS regular since the fall of 2005, but if last year was any indication, this sale should be a staple of GS the next couple of months. I recall only seeing the sale once or twice in my stops there in late 2004 and early 2005, but the sale was almost always going once October rolled around.

It probably helps when the GS is overflooded with DVDs. Seems like limited shelf space meant a sale was around the corner.
Old 09-04-06, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
It probably helps when the GS is overflooded with DVDs.
I hope that is the case because mine had 1 Band of Brothers, 1 Deadwood S1&S2, 2 Desperate Housewives S2, 4 Conviction The Complete Series, 5 Prison Break S1, 1, Simpsons S8, 1 Nip/Tuck S3,& 2 Veronica Mars S2 and it's driving me crazy.
I buy so many TV box sets I have to get them at a deal.
Old 09-04-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
...You just need to stop, lol. Check out CAG...if a deal is posted there its good. If its posted here first, and relates to a gamestore, its most likley not gonna happen.
Hey, I posted what was told direct to me from several GS/EB managers. It's not my fault that corporate decided not to do the sale. I always post when I hear about a sale coming up. I've been wrong twice, this time and the time when I trusted one manager without knowing he was an idiot. The rest of the time my info has been good.

I talked to those managers today, and they couldn't beleive that the sale didn't happen, as they know that a holiday without some big sale to bring people in means a day with very few sales, and it's stupid for the company to pay for 24 employee hours or so per store.

But hey, I've learned my lesson. I won't mention sales ever again in advance. No more giving people a heads-up to check their local stores in advance. They can find out when someone posts that the sale has already been running for a few days, and get to the local store after it's been stripped. That sound better?

Last edited by MovieExchange; 09-04-06 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In case all the other people that post and check the Gamestop threads for any head up isn't enough to overcome one person attempting to rub it in when a potential sale didn't occur, the info is very much appreciated MovieExchange.

If it turns out not to happen as expected, so be it. Anybody that makes a trip based solely on the potential of a sale would do so knowing anything posted with a caveat of second hand info has the potential to not happen as expected. I'm sure most others appreciate being presented with the info so individually we can decide whether or not to make a trip, a special trip, go out of our way, keep an eye on the thread for confirmation when it starts, etc..
Old 09-04-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
In case all the other people that post and check the Gamestop threads for any head up isn't enough to overcome one person attempting to rub it in when a potential sale didn't occur, the info is very much appreciated MovieExchange.

If it turns out not to happen as expected, so be it. Anybody that makes a trip based solely on the potential of a sale would do so knowing anything posted with a caveat of second hand info has the potential to not happen as expected. I'm sure most others appreciate being presented with the info so individually we can decide whether or not to make a trip, a special trip, go out of our way, keep an eye on the thread for confirmation when it starts, etc..

Yeah, I know. Chalk it up to me being in a bad mood.

I suggest that people make a call to their local store the day of the supposed sale to confirm that it's going on. Preferably 2 or more stores, as there are many stores I've encountered that didn't know a sale was going on until I walked in later that afternoon and had to tell them a sale was running when they tried to charge me full price.
Old 09-04-06, 06:55 PM

Thanks OP, even if the sale didn't happen. I'm not sure why someone is telling people here to go to another board to find posts, but I'm new here. Maybe I just don't know how things work around here yet.
Old 09-04-06, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Please do continue to post what you hear. It's better to know in advance rather than having to check the store out. Gosh people, just make a phone call to confirm before you head out next time.
Old 09-04-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me second that it's nice to hear in advance even if it doesn't pan out.
It seems like they're just fiddling about for some reason these months and can't get up the will to do the damn sale....
Old 09-04-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would appreciate the heads-ups to continue. Never mind what one dummy says.
Old 09-04-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the heads up too. I just posted that it didn't happen to try and save people a trip out.
Old 09-05-06, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Ok. Please post in the future of any 'rumors' you here. Get people excited and then go 'well I heard from several managers...". Several? How many EBs/GSs do you frequent? Anyways, the current Promo for 9/4-9/24 is

Promo Extended: "Get any new or used XB360 game for $9.99 when you trade-in 2 Xbox 360 Games" Trade exclusions include all 2006 and older sports titles, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, King Kong, Project Gotham 3, Ridge Racer 6, Outfit & Amped 3. Offer good on any XB360 game $59.99 or less.

"Power Trade Offer"
Trade any games towards the reservation or purchase of the following 4 games, receive and extra 20% trade credit (excluding hardware).
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue (DS)
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue (GBA)
-Godfather (XB360)
-NBA Live 2007 (PS2, XBOX, XB360)

Promo: "Extra $10 trade-in credit with the trade-in of 3 PS2, XBOX, GC, DS or PSP games"
Customers trading in 3 PS2, XBOX, GC, DS or PSP games receive an extra $10 trade credit. Customers can mix formats. For example, 2 PS2 games and 1 XBOX game can receive the total extra $10. 2006 and earlier sports, all wrestling and all demo discs are still excluded from this offer.

Promo: "Trade in Nascar 2006: Total Team Control for PS2/Xbox towards the reservation or purchase of Nascar 2007 on PS2/Xbox/PSP-get it for $24.99"

Promo: "Trade one of 21 music titles listed, and get Dance Factory on PS2 for $29.99. (regular retail $39.99). See stores for qualifying trades.

Promo: "Nintendo DS Lite (Pink/Black) - Hardware trade-in upgrade offer"
Only $69.99 with trade of original model DS
Only $99.99 with trade of GBA SP
Offer good while supplies last. DS system trade must have AC and stylus. GBA SP system trade must have AC.

Promo: "Buy Guild Wars Online and Get Guild Wars Online Factions (SKU-646502) for $29.99"

Promo: "Buy any PC Title and Receive Auto Assault Online (SKU-645763) for FREE"

Nothing else. Now some regions/districts run there own sales/promos. This often happens in 'high-theft' areas where alot of DVD boxsets are traded in. Examples are in the posts above. I find it hard to beleive a single GS already has several copies of Prison Break Season 1 'used'. While the info you get may be 'legit' for you're area, that does not mean it is nationwide. Unless you actually see the promo in a print ad, it is typically district/region only. Most stores find out about these 'specials' only a day or two before they start.

Last edited by Gizmo; 09-05-06 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-05-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Ok. Please post in the future of any 'rumors' you here. Get people excited and then go 'well I heard from several managers...". Several? How many EBs/GSs do you frequent?
In the immediate area? 4 GS and 2 EB, and at 3 of those stores I'm so well known that the employees actually call me when things come in that they think I might be interested in. I also have an EB about 20 minutes south of me, which I frequent just often enough that only the 1-day a week employees don't know me as a regular. There's going to be yet another GS opening near there, and I already know that at least the assistant manager and third key will be people that know me.

Now would you like to continue acting like a jackass just because OMFG SOMEONE TALKED ABOUT A SALE THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!111oneoneone!1?

Why do you even come here? Apparently according to you, CAG is the holy land where nothing ever goes wrong. Go back there and leave us alone.
Old 09-05-06, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
In the immediate area? 4 GS and 2 EB, and at 3 of those stores I'm so well known that the employees actually call me when things come in that they think I might be interested in. I also have an EB about 20 minutes south of me, which I frequent just often enough that only the 1-day a week employees don't know me as a regular. There's going to be yet another GS opening near there, and I already know that at least the assistant manager and third key will be people that know me.

Now would you like to continue acting like a jackass just because OMFG SOMEONE TALKED ABOUT A SALE THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!111oneoneone!1?

Why do you even come here? Apparently according to you, CAG is the holy land where nothing ever goes wrong. Go back there and leave us alone.
Ive been here for more then 5 years thats why. I came here because I saw a topic regarding a sale at a GAME STORE (which CAG is known for) that was not posted. Figured I would check it out. I simply asked how many gamestores you went to so chill. And for all 7 of them to tell you the same thing is just crazy. Like I said, may be a district/region thing but not nationwide. There WILL be another 2 for 1 sale coming up, but that won't be till later October/Early November.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.