Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone buy used DVDs from Netflix?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they say that you get the original cover art and case, but what about the disc? Are they like the ones you would get at a store or are they the grey Netflix rental only discs?
Old 08-31-06, 05:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done it a couple of times and so far it's been the original disks.
Old 08-31-06, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Original disc's. I ordered the incredibles to replace a scratched up one, it had problems with scratches also, netflix immediately replaced at no cost to me. It was the original disc and the bonus disc with inserts and covers, the case was not an original disney case or at least it didnt match the original one I had purchased on release day but it was close.
Old 08-31-06, 06:32 PM

Thanks. I ordered the 2 disc War of the Worlds. I hope I have the same experience as you guys.
Old 09-03-06, 12:17 AM

i was just about to post this same topic. i'm thinking of picking up a f ewthings
Old 09-07-06, 01:46 PM

Netflix used Dvd's.

I purchased the original Kurosawa's PULSE dvd used from Netflix and it was all original artwork, case and dvd. No scratches whatsoever. I'm planning to buy some more in the future.
Old 09-09-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought hostage from them to test out and it had massive scratches on disc...never bothered to test how it played.
Old 09-09-06, 03:49 PM
Banned

I only stayed with Netflixs for about 2 months (I now use redbox) and just about every disk that came to me were scratched to various degrees. Let's face reality, when people rent they don't care how they handle them. I would never buy used disks from them, no matter how good the price..Just my opinion..
Old 09-21-06, 12:49 AM

I'm a little late getting back to this thread, but my order came in. It arrived in about the same time as a rental would that was not mailed to me from a local distribution center (about 2 extra days).
I ordered the 2 disc version of the new War of the Worlds.
Disc 1, the movie, has some light scratches on it. Nothing serious at all and it played fine. Disc 2, the extras, looks perfect. No scratches at all. Both discs have the artwork and not the gray Netflix title covers.
I was sent the jacket artwork, but they sent me the one for the one disc release. This is actually, what Netflix shows on the site when purchasing it, so technically they sent what was advertised.
The case is a 2 disc case with one disc per cover. I don't know what type of case was used for those who purchased it in store.
Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase. I would buy from them again.
Old 09-21-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you to be a member to buy used DVDs?
Old 09-21-06, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've purchased a few. I only had a problem with one, I tried to purchase Undead. The first copy I got had a huge CRACK in the disc radiating out from the center ring. I emailed Netflix and they said "no problem, we'll send you another". I got a second disc with the exact same issue, I complained again and got the, "we quality check everything that comes in and goes out and it is very unlikely that this happened again, we're keeping an eye on your account, etc" I told them, "look, I have no reason to lie to you, I've been a member for almost 4 years with no issues, I don't want another disc, I just want my $6 back" after about 10 days they finally refunded my money.
Old 09-22-06, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Have you to be a member to buy used DVDs?
I believe you do need to be a subscriber since you have to log into Netflix to see the listings.
Old 09-22-06, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would think they are not allowed to sell the grey Netflix discs. I'd imagine those are created at a lower cost for rental only.