DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Synapse Films finds Complete HALLOWEEN Film Negatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synapse Films finds Complete HALLOWEEN Film Negatives

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2585

Wow.. I'll be VERY interested to see what comes of this!
Old 08-29-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Damed
http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2585

Wow.. I'll be VERY interested to see what comes of this!
Atleast another release or two I would guess.
Old 08-29-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Depending on quality, and amount of extras, I would *SO* double dip for this.

I guess a good HD version can now be created as well.
Old 08-29-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

very cool find...now lets figure out what will be done with it
Old 08-29-06, 10:50 PM
Cool New Member

"What we’ve got is pretty much all the unused original camera negative from John Carpenter’s original HALLOWEEN,"- Don May Jr. of Synapse Films.

So I guess this mean they have the deleted scenes and outtakes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the original negative was restored and used by Anchor Bay.

See http://www.dvdreview.com/html/hallow...eginning.shtml
Old 08-29-06, 11:57 PM
Banned

Incredible find. I'd gladly add a 3rd or 4th edition of the movie to my collection if it's done right.
Old 08-30-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow. Please make an HD DVD, please!
Old 08-30-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully for the 30th in 2008, they will rerelease the film properly this time. Use the correct color scheme,and include all the features from the previous releases + the new deleted/blooper footage.

Then that will be the ultimate definitive edition of the film and would be the last time I ever purchase the film!
Old 08-30-06, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can only hope they let Criterion do this.
Old 08-30-06, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would you rather Criterion do this than Synapse? Sorry to say that although Criterion created the "Special Edition" as we know it, they are not the be-all-end-all today. I would go out on a limb and say that there is no one in the business today that would put more into this project than Don May Jr. of Synapse....he uncovered it, let him do it. Criterion is the originator, Synapse is the innovator.
Old 08-30-06, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I can only hope they let Criterion do this.
Yeah, it'd be great if it were non-anamorphic*..

I'd be happy if WB did it. Their recent SEs have been outstanding. Of course, that would no sense..

* Though, they could've changed this. I haven't purchased a Criterion in a while..
Old 08-30-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pipemann
So I guess this mean they have the deleted scenes and outtakes.
See http://www.dvdreview.com/html/hallow...eginning.shtml
The way i read it, is they have not only deleted scenes and out takes, but multiple agles/shots alternate takes, etc. Enough footage it seems to do an almost entire new cut of the movie, if they wished. Plus film elements for the tv footage...which to this point have always been restored from master tapes instead of an actual negative.

I'll also go on record saying that I hope Synapse keeps it in house. (I'm not even sure who can claim rights to footage like this.) I doubt were going to see all of this footage, good chance that some of it is junk...but this could make for all kinds of experiments in multiangle editing features...etc.
Old 08-30-06, 06:54 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Rogue588

* Though, they could've changed this. I haven't purchased a Criterion in a while..
Apparently, a looong while.
Old 08-30-06, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
This is awesome, although I thought AB already was using a negative of the film for their DVDs as well. Any more Halloween is cool in my book.
Old 08-30-06, 09:17 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd love to see them actually do something with Halloween II
Old 08-30-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dablueguy
Why would you rather Criterion do this than Synapse? Sorry to say that although Criterion created the "Special Edition" as we know it, they are not the be-all-end-all today. I would go out on a limb and say that there is no one in the business today that would put more into this project than Don May Jr. of Synapse....he uncovered it, let him do it. Criterion is the originator, Synapse is the innovator.
there is a good reason why neither cannot release it, the rights are, and still is, held with Anchor Bay, whom they licensed it from the films producer. Even if you find deleted scenes, the rights to release the film and/or materials is with Anchor Bay. I am not a attorney, but I am guessing those footages are probably the property of the films producers still, unless I am wrong here.
Old 08-30-06, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by salamander2
there is a good reason why neither cannot release it, the rights are, and still is, held with Anchor Bay, whom they licensed it from the films producer. Even if you find deleted scenes, the rights to release the film and/or materials is with Anchor Bay. I am not a attorney, but I am guessing those footages are probably the property of the films producers still, unless I am wrong here.
Well, unfortunately, you are wrong on two counts. Not all the rights are held by Anchor Bay... television and theatrical are held by a totally different company, who just happened to call me excited yesterday by the find.

Also, the footage is not owned by the producers. If/when we come to terms with the Akkad family, then the story behind this stuff, and WHY the producers don't have a real legal claim to the material, can be told. It's sure an interesting one and would be a great section for a new documentary... that is, if the Akkad family wants to do it.
Old 08-30-06, 02:29 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SynapseFilms
Well, unfortunately, you are wrong on two counts. Not all the rights are held by Anchor Bay... television and theatrical are held by a totally different company, who just happened to call me excited yesterday by the find.

Also, the footage is not owned by the producers. If/when we come to terms with the Akkad family, then the story behind this stuff, and WHY the producers don't have a real legal claim to the material, can be told. It's sure an interesting one and would be a great section for a new documentary... that is, if the Akkad family wants to do it.
Desipte my yearning for a proper Halloween II release, I'm estactic at the thouhts of what you may have come across. Halloween is such a huge part of my childhood, right up there with Star Wars.
Old 08-30-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, this info has me chomping at the bit.

Thanks for coming in and posting, Don!
Old 08-30-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Um... Criterion started anamorphic releases 7 years ago.
Old 08-30-06, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Then that will be the ultimate definitive edition of the film and would be the last time I ever purchase the film!

Shhhh! Not so loud Julie! Then they will not give you what you want!
Old 08-30-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dablueguy
Amen, to that!

Wow, this info has me chomping at the bit.
Thanks for coming in and posting, Don!
Exactly my sentiments also.
Old 08-30-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 08-30-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've not heard news so exciting in a while. Now dreaming of a 4-disc set with multiple cuts of the film and loads of deleted/alternate scenes. A nice additional touch would be a featurette on how the negatives were discovered and restored. Would make for a perfect 30th anniversary commemorative release. Would happily triple dip.

How cool is a name like Synapse? Great choice.

--THX
Old 08-30-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Note to Synapse. This is in my "Top 5" list of all-time favorite films. I'm a whore and I will buy anything you can manage to release. Just FYI.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.