Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Unhappy DirecTV Customer.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-29-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 229 Likes on 163 Posts

So the picture goes off for like the 10th time (3-4th call, many resets on my end), and I find that I do not own the DVR even though it said (join now get a FREE DVR). The $99 savings is for DVR INSTALLATION, not a FREE DVR.

I'm still in the 90 days warranty, but if before that runs out I don't start paying $5 a month protection fee, I'm stuck with future charges. I can't cancel because when I joined I joined in a 2-yr contract, which I'm fine honoring if 1. they were truthful in FREE DVR =INSTALLATION= and 2. you didn't have to pay a pretty much required extra $5 a month because their equipment sucks, and 3. waste all this time calling and resetting (and they are not open 24 hours so yesterday night I was SOL. Because I work I'm going to have to wait until Sunday to get it fixed but because they are so 'good' at customer service, they are going to refund me service for those days.

I'm on hold waiting for a supervisor so that they can tell me what city and state they are based out of so that I can file a complaint with the BBB. I went associate->supervisor->cancellation dept-> supervisor. The first supervisor sounded like he was a buddy of the associate and I'd talk, and then wait for a response, and he'd stay quiet... I'd say "hello" he'd say "I heard you" I'd say "feel free to reply" ... silence. I had to prod him to reply throughout the whole call.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-29-06 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-29-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And yet you still want to stay with them...?
Old 08-29-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Who did your install? Sounds to me like the dish is misaligned or there is water in the cable. I understand your frustration but frankly my Direct TV service is one of the few things in my life that I can count on to always work properly.
Old 08-29-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
And yet you still want to stay with them...?
I have to, 2 year contract. Did file a complaint with the BBB.
Old 08-29-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Who did your install? Sounds to me like the dish is misaligned or there is water in the cable. I understand your frustration but frankly my Direct TV service is one of the few things in my life that I can count on to always work properly.
I bought direct from DirecTV and they sent a local company to make the installation... it was all through DirecTV though.
Old 08-29-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What model DirecTV receiver do you have? When the picture goes out, what is the on-screen message? Also, I'm assuming you're leasing the receiver, correct? If so, don't worry about the 90-day warranty. If the unit goes out, since they own it, they fix it. You don't need the protection plan for that.

I think there's enough knowledgable people here that could probably help you, although a complaint to the BBB is certainly warranted. If you really want to get their attention, make a formal complaint to your state's Attorney General. I'm willing to bet if you did, DirecTV would pretty-much give you whatever you wanted.

Sorry you've had such a bad experience thus far. I've had DTV for nine years now, and overall I'm very happy with them.
Old 08-29-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I bought direct from DirecTV and they sent a local company to make the installation... it was all through DirecTV though.
The installer will come back in the first 30 days and fix the problems at no cost to you. Call DirecTV and complain, and have them send the installer back out, or just call the installer yourself.
Old 08-29-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, in case you need it, here's a link to DirecTV's BBB file, including all the contact info you'd need to file a complaint:

DirecTV BBB file
Old 08-29-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have 1 DVR and 2 receivers. After the 90 days they do pay for the equipment but I have to pay $20 shipping if it breaks. They're coming out on Sunday (I work 11p-8:15p and they have wither 8-12 or 1-5), so until then, no TV The DVR usually just shows a black screen with no error message, and that's what it was doing until this morning when it changed to searching for satellite signal, and the receiver's doing the same.
Old 08-29-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The installer will come back in the first 30 days and fix the problems at no cost to you. Call DirecTV and complain, and have them send the installer back out, or just call the installer yourself.
It's been over 30 days... 17 July... sigh. I've been fixing it myself with the reset button and once the lady at the service center did a master reset to the whole house.
Old 08-29-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume your DVR is the R-15 then (non-TiVo). I've got one of them, and found it to be somewhat unreliable. I've had to reset it several times myself, and I've only had it for two or three weeks.

Apparently, though, it's much better stability-wise now than when it released. At least DTV has been working on improving it.

Searching for Satellite Signal, that's a bigger problem. They couldn't get out to you sooner than Sunday?

Anyway, this all sucks. Hopefully you can get some resolution with the installer. Once a system is installed properly, it should be very hassle-free.
Old 08-30-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to, 2 year contract. Did file a complaint with the BBB.
Oops, thought your 90 day warrenty let you bail out during that period. That sucks!
Old 08-31-06, 03:44 PM
Suspended

So the picture goes off for like the 10th time (3-4th call, many resets on my end), and I find that I do not own the DVR even though it said (join now get a FREE DVR). The $99 savings is for DVR INSTALLATION, not a FREE DVR.

I'm still in the 90 days warranty, but if before that runs out I don't start paying $5 a month protection fee, I'm stuck with future charges. I can't cancel because when I joined I joined in a 2-yr contract, which I'm fine honoring if 1. they were truthful in FREE DVR =INSTALLATION= and 2. you didn't have to pay a pretty much required extra $5 a month because their equipment sucks, and 3. waste all this time calling and resetting (and they are not open 24 hours so yesterday night I was SOL. Because I work I'm going to have to wait until Sunday to get it fixed but because they are so 'good' at customer service, they are going to refund me service for those days.

I'm on hold waiting for a supervisor so that they can tell me what city and state they are based out of so that I can file a complaint with the BBB. I went associate->supervisor->cancellation dept-> supervisor. The first supervisor sounded like he was a buddy of the associate and I'd talk, and then wait for a response, and he'd stay quiet... I'd say "hello" he'd say "I heard you" I'd say "feel free to reply" ... silence. I had to prod him to reply throughout the whole call.
This happened alot with ours too for a while. They kept saying it was the neighbor's tree causing it, blocking the signal. I knew that couldn't be the reason because I never had problems with my service BEFORE getting the DVR. So, finally after trying a new box like they recommended & still having the same problem they had a guy actually come out to do a service call. He replaced something on the satellite dish that communicated with the DVR (wish I could remember what it was called) & ever since I haven't had a problem except in the odd storm here or there. DirecTV has a problem with incorrect billing alot of the time or they actually forget to send my bill. My husband has called a couple of times this month telling them we haven't gotten our bill yet & they still haven't sent it. We won't do automatic withdrawl because they get the billing wrong so often that we'd rather catch it BEFORE anything is paid. They have better packages, though, than Dish so we're staying with them. Its just that they're a pain in the ass to deal with sometimes.

ETA : My DVR is a Tivo.
Old 09-04-06, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the guy came and what happened was that IT WAS NOT PLUGGED IN. Apparently there's a main power adapter for all receivers that goes into the house and has to be plugged in. I unplugged it myself. I had a few things plugged into that room - printers, computer monitor, dvd player, etc. - that I was rearranging and I unplugged everything off that power strip.

So yeah, it was my fault, but two points:
1. The guy that did the installation should have mentioned there's a power brick for the satellite, and
2. This should be the first words out of DirecTV tech support - is the main power adapter into the house plugged in? (I would have been like huh? and we would have figured it out)

I'm no tech newbie, but this is my first time with satellite and who would have thought that something other than the receivers and TV had to be plugged in.

Sigh
Old 09-04-06, 07:16 PM
Retired

That is odd, I had D-TV and my parents have it, and there was never anything to plug in but the receivers.
Old 09-05-06, 02:27 AM
Suspended

yeah, we have an adapter that has to be plugged in too or the tivo would go out completely.
Old 09-05-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
That is odd, I had D-TV and my parents have it, and there was never anything to plug in but the receivers.
Well now that I know it kind of makes sense... your SATELLITE has to be plugged in too
Old 09-05-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More than likely it's to power the switches. Dependingon what equipment you have, most receivers actually send an electrical current back to the equipment outside to 'power them' to tune to the individual satellite and parts of the satellite that each channel originates from. If there is a lot of equipment outside or the receivers don't output enough power, it may need an adaptor. Dish Network used to use them and they sucked because the connections were never good just nudging a cable would make it go out and then you'd have to do a bunch of stuff to each receiver- but that was with old outdated stuff--- i'm surprised DirecTV still uses inferior equipment. I guess that's why 95% of A/V gurus will tell you Dish Network's PQ is just better.

Satellite TV and Cable TV is something you just have to do a lot of research on before you sign up--- just because the ads say free upgrades or whatever doesn't mean you own it-- with Dish, there's fees to upgrade to some equipment that you rent... and you still don't own it. Just have to read everything and do homework. I'd suggest patrolling the boards at www.satelliteguys.us - best place for satellite stuff