Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I don't understand something from Blade 2

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got around to watching Blade 2 today, and this is really confusing me.
Spoiler:
In the first movie, Whistler is supposedly killed by Frost and his men. Whistler says something like "Go ahead and bite me and get it over with." Frost replies with "I'm not going to bite you." Frost leaves a video tape for Blade that says "by the time you see this, Whistler will be dead." Whistler wasn't quite dead from their attack, but he finishes himself off with Blade's gun.

Now, in Blade 2, we find that Whistler isn't dead. He was "turned" instead. If Frost or his men didn't bite him in the first movie, then how does Whistler turn? Also, I always thought that according to the vampire mythos and even in the Blade movies, that vampires have two different bites. One bite is for feeding and it kills the victim, and the other bite is used for turning and doesn't kill the victim. Even if Frost or one of his men bit Whistler, wouldn't they have bit him to kill him, especially since the tape left behind said that Whistler was dead?
Old 08-27-06, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, the ol' Blade 2 Whistler cheat ...
Old 08-28-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They just made shit up as they went along.
Old 08-28-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's Blade 2. That in itself should be the answer to anything.
Old 08-28-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
It's got the name "Blade" in it, which inheirtantly means poorly structured plot and inconsistencies.
Old 08-28-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Sounds like things that could have been easily explained with the release of a Blade 1.5.
Old 08-28-06, 01:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah, who cares. Blade II was such pure, unadulterated fun that they could have said Blade was actually a werewolf and I would have enjoyed it.
Old 08-28-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
I always thought that vampires only had one bite it was just a matter of how long they bit which determined whether a victim ended up turned or dead.
Old 08-28-06, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I always thought that vampires only had one bite it was just a matter of how long they bit which determined whether a victim ended up turned or dead.

It's all over the place. In Coppola's "DRACULA" one had to drink the blood of the vampire who bit them. Remember when Van Helsing asked Jonathan if he had drank the blood of the women who kept him hostage? Also, when Dracula bit Mina after she said she wanted to be like him he cut his chest after he bit her so she could drink his blood.

Now, I can't remember which movie but there was a thing where the vampire would drain most of the blood so that they were at death's door but still alive to change them. Was it Interview with a Vampire?

In the first Blade, they explained that some people don't turn no matter what you do. They just become these mindless vampire beasts. Remember the other doctor that was attacked with the the girl Blade saved? The Vampires threw him into that tunnel because he didn't change but still lived. I think this concept was also in the book Interview with a Vampire.
Old 08-28-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It's all over the place. In Coppola's "DRACULA" one had to drink the blood of the vampire who bit them. Remember when Van Helsing asked Jonathan if he had drank the blood of the women who kept him hostage? Also, when Dracula bit Mina after she said she wanted to be like him he cut his chest after he bit her so she could drink his blood.

Now, I can't remember which movie but there was a thing where the vampire would drain most of the blood so that they were at death's door but still alive to change them. Was it Interview with a Vampire?

In the first Blade, they explained that some people don't turn no matter what you do. They just become these mindless vampire beasts. Remember the other doctor that was attacked with the the girl Blade saved? The Vampires threw him into that tunnel because he didn't change but still lived. I think this concept was also in the book Interview with a Vampire.
Yes it was Interview with the Vampire. But again, each time after they have been drained they then drink from the vampire that drained them. Each vampire flick seems to have different ways in which people turn.
Old 08-28-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
The only weird one was Lost Boys in which Michael was never bitten, he just drank the blood (thinking it was wine).
Old 08-28-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I finally got around to watching Blade 2 today, and this is really confusing me.
Spoiler:
In the first movie, Whistler is supposedly killed by Frost and his men. Whistler says something like "Go ahead and bite me and get it over with." Frost replies with "I'm not going to bite you." Frost leaves a video tape for Blade that says "by the time you see this, Whistler will be dead." Whistler wasn't quite dead from their attack, but he finishes himself off with Blade's gun.

Now, in Blade 2, we find that Whistler isn't dead. He was "turned" instead. If Frost or his men didn't bite him in the first movie, then how does Whistler turn? Also, I always thought that according to the vampire mythos and even in the Blade movies, that vampires have two different bites. One bite is for feeding and it kills the victim, and the other bite is used for turning and doesn't kill the victim. Even if Frost or one of his men bit Whistler, wouldn't they have bit him to kill him, especially since the tape left behind said that Whistler was dead?
Spoiler:
The main thing is that we never see Whistler off himself. We see Blade walk away and we hear a gunshot. We assume that he shot himself, but it could be otherwise.
Old 08-28-06, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Spoiler:
The main thing is that we never see Whistler off himself. We see Blade walk away and we hear a gunshot. We assume that he shot himself, but it could be otherwise.
If you think about it, it's not an inconsistency at all!

Spoiler:
After Blade walked away, a vampire lackey that got lost in their hideout came around the corner, and Whistler saw him. That's where the shot came from. Too bad Whistler was all messed up, and he missed, and got bitten, and made Vampire Whistler™.