Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How much have your DVDs depreciated in value?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-27-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much could you get for your collection if you sold it on half.com? How much have you spent vs. how much your DVDs are worth now?
Old 08-27-06, 09:51 PM

Probably could get $2500 and have spent about $6000 if not more...
Old 08-27-06, 10:18 PM

Not very much... less than half of what I have paid... but I dont sell much.
Old 08-27-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could probably get close to what I've spent. ALOT of my DVDs were gifts, and I got a lot of boxed sets during Targets $5.99 price mistake that are worth a hell of a lot more than $5.99. I have a couple of limited edition sets like the Friends Box. I have all the vaulted Disney movies, etc....so I'd say I could probably get a pretty penny if I were to sell my stuff...but I can definitely say, I will never get rid of my collection. I put way to much time, money and effort into buying them, making nice displays, etc.
Old 08-27-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I've spent around $14,000.

No idea what I could get for it. Some have gone up in value but most have gone down.
Old 08-27-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nobody should kid themselves. Unless your average purchase price is $2-$5 or all your disc are very rare, DVDs have little resale value. I have spent a fortune and they are worth a fraction of that. My average is probably about $6-$8. Since I only sell a small percentage it does not bother me that much.
Old 08-28-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm guessing about 80-90%. Not too many DVDs hold their value and I hardly sell mine off. If anything, I wait for some sort of trade-in deal and take full advantage of it. Or, my sealed DVDs that no one wants I usually return to Costco.
Old 08-28-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I put about 50 on ebay awhile back. Shipping was $5 and $1 for every extra one won. They all started at a penny with no reserve. About 8 didn't sell.
Old 08-28-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Enough to buy a new Kia
Old 08-28-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They have not depreciated in value for me! I like them all and I like the entertainment they provide me with. I know that this is not the answer you are looking for but i and many other talkers here collect the film(s) not the disc and the value(s) that comes with it/them. If you are happy with your library you should never be concerned about depreciation.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 08-28-06, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
They have not depreciated in value for me! I like them all and I like the entertainment they provide me with. I know that this is not the answer you are looking for but i and many other talkers here collect the film(s) not the disc and the value(s) that comes with it/them. If you are happy with your library you should never be concerned about depreciation.

Ciao,
Pro-B
i could not have stated it better

even so, i only try to get my grubby hands on stuff for my collection. but sometimes, i cant stop! seriously, sometimes i think i need
Old 08-28-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unless some great sale comes along, I rarely buy a mainstream DVD within the first year of its release so my collection hasn't depreciated much. The last time I checked, my spending averages slightly under 30% of MSRP.
Old 08-28-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Same for me.
Old 08-28-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ciao,
Pro-B
I spent over 20 grand for my laserdiscs and today it's probably worth a few hundred. I don't watch them anymore since I've replaced most of them, but I never considered selling them as they were well worth the money in entertainment and sentimental value for those ten years. Same will apply to my DVD's in the future. I'd rather not go through the hassle of trying to sell/ship older discs for what, $4-5?

Last edited by matome; 08-28-06 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question:How much have your DVDs depreciated in value?
Answer: I don't really want to know.
Old 08-30-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Enough to buy a new Kia
So, like, $350?

Old 08-30-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Since I got into the DVD game early while the crazed Internet deals were going full steam ahead I find that I can still sell most of my titles for more than I originally paid. It helps that many of them are OOP or collectable. I sold off a fair number back in 2003 to buy a projector and I just finished selling off about 50 DVDs and 200 CDs to fund a new plasma TV. Sure, they lose value but unless all you buy are the latest blockbuster films on DVD they still retain some value.
Old 08-30-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much has the car you bought 7 years ago depreciated? How about those technology stocks you were told would make you rich by investment people back then?

I still have my dvd's that bring me enjoyment at no further cost except for an occasional upgrade and my car which also needs an occasional upgrade.
Old 08-30-06, 07:46 PM

Mine haven't because they were not bought as an investment. In 7 years we'll all be sitting on our completely worthless collections just like our VHS's!
Old 08-30-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Eliminator
Mine haven't because they were not bought as an investment. In 7 years we'll all be sitting on our completely worthless collections just like our VHS's!
whats a vhs?
Old 08-30-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Collectively, the dvd collection I possess is an investment in that I do save on rental fees in the long term. However, I prefer to not look at individual dvd's as an investment since their resale value, for the most part, is minimal.
Old 08-31-06, 09:24 AM
Defunct Account

Actually, DVDs hold their value very well when compared to other things I purchase. I can sell a used DVD and get something, the same can't be said about many other used items such as food, newspapers, monthly ISP fees, utilities, car and house insurance, and, of course, toilet paper. They also hold up better than books. You pay $7+ for a lousy paperback and then you can only get $0.25-$0.50 at a garage sale. A $15 DVD will easily sell for $3-5.

Then again, who wants to sell their DVDs????
Old 08-31-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One interesting aspect of DVD pricing is the eventual lowering of prices. A certain DVD has an intial MSRP of $29.99 and it's purchased on sale during it's first week of release for $19.99. Within the year, the same DVD ends up on sale for $4.99. A little patience could have resulted in a 75% savings - for a DVD that's still sealed on your shelf.
Old 08-31-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who really cares, in my opinion. There are so many films on DVD that I consider serious works of art, and even at $20-$30 it's still such a bargain to be able to view them anytime you want. Even 20 years ago we all would have killed to have so many near-perfect transfers of films on such a relatively cheap format. I know I sure as hell didn't have the money to plop $100 or more for Criterion laserdiscs at the time, and now we get better quality for a fraction of that.

Depreciate away!
Old 08-31-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You have to understand that a new LD 10 years ago was $100, a VHS was the same because the rental places had it set up that the first release price was what they paid so you would rent and not buy. DVD screwed them all over by being so cheap. Can you imagine paying $20/25 for a new movie. Now take that plus the great internet deals of 1998 and there is no way you can say you lost money. How much do you spend drinking in bars weekly, eating out, taking a vacation....value is what you get out of it, not someone else.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.