Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Brain Age Appreciation Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
The Brain Age Appreciation Thread.

I got this 8 days ago and have been playing daily. Who else LOVES this game?

How do you get better at Low to High? That is my worst game (although I've achieved car speed). I tried People Counting in Hard and wow... it was impossible... but easy had become too easy so I guess I'll just keep trying. I got an age of 72 because it couldn't understand me then I redid it and I'm at 44 now. I get mad when I write the right answer and it records it wrong

After People Counting, what are the other games that are unlockable?
Old 08-26-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good choice. As for low to high, no idea. That's one of the only ones that I haven't gotten consistantly better at.

In general, I would avoid most of the speaking tests, particularly for the brain age calculation (just select 'I can't speak aloud'). Apart from the fact that a number of people here have reported trouble with it detecting their accent, also the ratings seem strangely harsh compared to the other exercises. As an example, I did a brain age test (I nearly always get 20 these days) using stroop test, connect maze, and number cruncher. I got record scores for the connect maze and number cruncher, along with what seemed like a good score for stroop, but got rated down to a brain age of 28. Not happy!
Old 08-26-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The clock test is a bitch for me.
Old 08-26-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I've had this since the day it came out and I guess I'm one of the few that got tired of it relatively fast. I did the daily training for about a month, but the only time I pop it in now is if I want to solve a sudoku. The training and testing got boring kind of quick.
Old 08-26-06, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by maxfisher
I've had this since the day it came out and I guess I'm one of the few that got tired of it relatively fast. I did the daily training for about a month, but the only time I pop it in now is if I want to solve a sudoku. The training and testing got boring kind of quick.
I'm with you on this one. It was fun for about a month, but pretty much got boring after that.
Old 08-26-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Yeah, I lasted about 2 weeks. After the third day of training I started getting brain ages in the low 20s and perfects (or near-perfects) on most of the exercises, so... not a lot of motivation for me to continue. Now it's just Sudoku for me, too.
Old 08-29-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
I'm with you on this one. It was fun for about a month, but pretty much got boring after that.
Same here. Didn't miss a single day for a month, and then got tired of it. Haven't played since June.

The same thing happened with Animal Crossing, although I do play that from time to time. The wife mostly plays on the DS, she is addicted to Resident Evil and Nintendogs.
Old 08-29-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm with everyone else. Played it for a month straight, now it is only good for sudoku or getting friends/relatives to play.
Old 08-29-06, 03:25 PM

Stuck with it daily for a little more than a month. Now it is an airplane Soduku program for me.
Old 08-29-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brain Age is a great game at a great price. Too bad the multiplayer wasn't as robust as Big Brain Academy. But for some great mental fitness, Brain Age is really fun. Plus as everyone above has mentioned, sudoku is another great bonus. I'm looking forward to Brain Age 2!
Old 08-31-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm surprised the media didn't pick up on this game more since its such a unique product for a major video game console and write news articles on how gaming is changing and that there's new types of games that are actually mentally stimulating and useful. Maybe there isn't enough blood and gore.

I agree the price point was right for this game, I enjoyed it and still trying to beat my sister's calculations x 20 score.
Old 08-31-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My roommate had it. I used to play it a lot to try and beat my high scores every morning. Calc x20 always killed me, I always wanted the 9 but never got it:

Old 08-31-06, 11:32 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like others, I did the training and brain age checks until I unlocked everything,and now use it only for Sudoku.

It's worth it for that though, IMO, since it's only $20 (and the Sudoku Gridmaster) game apparently isn't as good. Extra worth it for me since I got it for free with my DS Lite.
Old 09-01-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with the above comments. It was fun for about a month, but it's more a chore to do it daily than anything.

Either way, I only paid $15 for it, so...
Old 09-03-06, 09:51 PM

Big Brain Academy and Brain Age are both 17.99 at Costco
Old 09-04-06, 02:02 PM

I loved both games! Although Brain Age turned into "Sudoku" permanently after I got hooked on that... now my DS turned into a Tetris DS online battle-mode though. Can't do anything else with it, and it's hard to do anything else at all!

JoseQ
Old 09-06-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scored a 20 after 14 lessons and haven't touched it since.
I don't think it makes you smarter, you just get used to the games and you do them faster. So I gave up and now Mario Kart is training my brain once a day.
Old 09-06-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ sounds about right. Once I hit 20, I went for Sudoku and didn't look back.
Old 09-06-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I played it for two months, then stopped. It will be interesting to go back and see how I did. I'm currently lending it to someone who just got into Sudoku.