Reload this Page >

Saint's Row who's picking it up, and other discussion

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-25-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey all, how many of you are planning to pick this up on Tuesday? Any interest in forming a DVDTalk gang for the online portion of the game?

Some tidbits on the release, the EB Games/Gamestop verison comes with a code for a free in game t-shirt, and there is also info that states around September 15th there will be a 'clothing pack' available for download on the kiosk disc at both stores. You will have to take your memory unit into the store and transfer it (like the Burnout Revenge cars, and themes). If you get it at the store it's free, but if you get it from the marketplace there will be a point fee. Basically sounds like it's going to be on the marketplace also at the same time, but it won't cost anything at the kiosk.

There is a video review up http://files.filefront.com/t+saints+.../fileinfo.html, from GameTrailers they gave it 8.0.
Old 08-25-06, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a preorder from Outpost which means I should have it no later than Thursday. I am looking forward to playing this on live so I be up for joining the "DVD Talk gang"
Old 08-25-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may pick this up based on the opinions of the people here who have it. I'm not really into the GTA type of games, but if the Live portion is fantastic...I'll get it. You just won't see me playing the main story mode too much.
Old 08-26-06, 09:45 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Hmmm, I'm having a pimptastic morning. I'll let you guys know what I think of the multiplayer later today.

Old 08-26-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Son of a bitch! I am guessing I will have to wait until Friday, since I have it preordered at Gamerush.

It's probably a good thing I don't have it now, as I probably wouldn't want to go to work come Monday morning.
Old 08-26-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
Hmmm, I'm having a pimptastic morning. I'll let you guys know what I think of the multiplayer later today.

Bastard.

I'm somewhat interested in this. GTA got boring quickly to me, so, this might be a wasted purchase for me. I guess I'll hold out for some reviews first.
Old 08-26-06, 02:22 PM

What are you intial impressions of the single player?
Old 08-26-06, 03:12 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Single Player impressions are actully all I can offer at this point. Nobody has the game yet, hence nobody to play multi with.

While taking over gang territory was a secondary portion of GTA:SA, it takes center stage in Saint's Row. All the main missions are centered on the impending gang wars and their main players. Although, you always have to earn enough respect to make those main missions available. I'm only 15% into the game with about 5 hours of playtime, but the missions have been varied quite a bit so far. The cutscenes are very much worth watching and the main character actually speaks occasionally.

The side missions for respect are the most fun though. I just finished a mayhem mission where a lady hired me to cause as much insanity in her ex-husband's area of town so he would cough up some alimony. Then I picked up a hitman mission. I have 10 targets to kill, each with a different weapon. You have to search the areas where they are typically seen, then take them out. I've also done the insurance fraud, paparazzi outrun, street racing, and drug running missions.

The fact that the character customization ties into the respect system is another cool feature. If you wear the correct clothing, have the right tats, sport the nicest bling, etc., a multiplyer is added to every mission you complete. This increases your respect totals for the mission. Pretty neat.

A couple comparisons to GTA:SA. The town doesn't seem as large at GTA. Maybe 2/3rds the size. Also, the vehicles don't seem very varied. I haven't found any motorcycles or flying contraptions yet, but perhaps later in the game. I do like zipping around like an idiot in the meter maid's little vehicle though.

Graphically, same as when I played it at E3. There are collision detection problems, pop-in and pop-out, and slowdown issues. That being said, it's certainly above and beyond anything GTA:SA had to offer. The character textures are sweet and the explosions are gorgeous. Also, load times only happen when a mission loads and that time is very minimal. Very nice.

The voice acting is surprisingly excellent. They have a pretty good list of Hollywood actors that typically take supporting roles in movies. My favorite is Clancy Brown though, the guy from Carnivale and Justice League Unlimited. His radio announcements are pretty funny. There is a crapload of music, perhaps 10 stations? They seemed to cover every genre as well. I prefer the classical station when mowing down the innocent, but to each his own.

The achievements are pretty tough to get so far. I've only unlocked a couple of them and the rest look like hours upon hours of replay value. All in all, the single player is pretty damn extensive. Definitely can't be beaten within a rental period. Saint's Row is very much a GTA:SA clone, but it's a hell of a good copy job.

Last edited by Flay; 08-26-06 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-26-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey Flay,
Is there a Day/Night cycle? I don't remember there being one in the demo.
Old 08-26-06, 03:42 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Yah, there is a day/night cycle. But I don't think there is a clock anywhere. Nor does it figure into any missions.
Old 08-26-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's cool, just adds to the immersiveness.
Old 08-26-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I plan on getting the Godfather later on in the year so would it be redundant to pick this up as well? I mean I know its different in terms of the storyline, but is the game play going to be fairly similar (as in similar to GTA)?
Old 08-26-06, 06:06 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flashburn
Hey Flay,
Is there a Day/Night cycle? I don't remember there being one in the demo.
There's a video up on the net that shows the day/night cycle. It's a pretty interesting watch. It seems like they did a good job with it.

I'll be buying this for sure. I really like sandbox games, and I was a big fan of the Grand Theft Auto games for the PS2 (as well as GTA II for PSX.) I've got the demo disc from OXM with this demo, so I've played it a bit. My friend and I played it a bit today. I'm really looking forward to playing the full game. That cover art is awesome.
Old 08-26-06, 07:52 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

DAMN! I haven't been able to put this game down for more than 30 minutes today. Once the story starts rolling, it sucks you in GTA style. A little update on my progress: I estimate I've been playing for 9 to 10 hours and I'm 27% done. As you can see from my achievements when they update, I've taken over the Los Carnoles completely. I guarantee people will be bitching about the final mission on that one. It's double tough.

Oh and can I just say incorporating the custom soundtrack feature with the CD shop is fucking genius. Basically, you can go into the music shop and purchase tracks (CDs) for the in-game custom soundtrack maker. There is classical, metal, hip-hop, easy listening, reggae, and rock. Rock, classical, and hip-hop each has at least 40 or 50 tracks to choose from. After selecting music, you can bring up the virtual "mp3 player" in the menu and create playlists with your purchased songs or songs on your 360. I've been sitting in the CD store for the last hour demoing tracks I might want to buy. It's insanely addictive.

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well I plan on getting the Godfather later on in the year so would it be redundant to pick this up as well? I mean I know its different in terms of the storyline, but is the game play going to be fairly similar (as in similar to GTA)?
It felt redundant at first, but the respect system really sets apart Saint's Row from the GTA series. It's very cool how side missions are an integral part of finishing the main storyline, especially since they are so fun. The more I play Saint's Row, the more I feel it can stand on it's own.

I'll be happy to answer more questions later tonight. I'm going to grab some grub and head back into Stilwater for more fun. OH yeah, everyone make sure and listen to the talk radio station when they pick up the game. The material is pretty funny and it varies as the game progresses.

Last edited by Flay; 08-27-06 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-26-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can you import your own music to a "radio station"?
Old 08-26-06, 07:55 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by flashburn
Can you import your own music to a "radio station"?
I don't think so. But I believe you can set the mp3 player in the audio menu to trump the radio when getting into a car.
Old 08-26-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think so. But I believe you can set the mp3 player in the audio menu to trump the radio when getting into a car.
Oh, that is pretty cool then. Just as long as it only plays in the car.

I wish it would let you actually customize each station with your own play lists. That would be a neat feature.
Old 08-27-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't found any motorcycles or flying contraptions yet, but perhaps later in the game. I do like zipping around like an idiot in the meter maid's little vehicle though.
According to the Xbox magazine (it got an 8.0 out of 10) there are no motorcycles at all. Thought that was odd.
Old 08-27-06, 07:29 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah, everything I've read about it, has said that there aren't any motorcycles in the game.
Old 08-27-06, 02:00 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Wow, I flew through the Vice Kings Gang this morning and it looks like I just have 2 missions left on the West Side Rollerz. The Los Carnales actually have many more missions than the other two. I've also almost taken over the entire city as well at about 15 hours in.

If this is all there is, then the main storyline is much shorter than I orginally thought. I'm at 58% done, btw. Also, for anyone wondering, the collectable item in the game is CD's, similar to GTA'a packages. EVery 10 CD's awards you a bonus music track and I'm betting the entire lot will award an acheivement.
Old 08-27-06, 06:45 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Another update: Wow, Finished the single player storyline at a little over 15 hours at 62% done according to the stats page. It was a fun ride, but certainly no where near the same length of GTA:SA's storyline. There is still plenty of stuff left to do, of course. I still have a crapload of achievements to unlock. I've snatched up a little over 30% of the points now.

I've got to say, the multiplayer isn't what I expected. The maps seem quite small and the living breathing city landscape is lost. It's still tough to get a game, but I've capped a few rival Xbox Live Users. The Gang setup area is farily complete for basic clan support. I haven't tried the co-op mode yet, but I will as soon as someone connects up.

I'll try and have a review up hopefully by tomorrow for those interested.
Old 08-27-06, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn now I want the game.
Old 08-27-06, 08:38 PM

I want it too ... since every day I get to go to the warehouse and see it ... does not help the cause...
Old 08-27-06, 09:51 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'm going to add this as a warning to folks without giving anything away.

There is an extended ending to the game with one hell of a twist. You will know when the first ending happens as the credits roll, then you are allowed to head back into Stilwater. As long as you save after completing each mission, you will have a save point to head back into the game after the true ending. The final ending doesn't allow you to save, but it's not needed as nothing is awarded. Just a little FYI.

BTW, finally had a Co-op match. While limited somewhat, it's a blast with the right teammate. We didn't complete the mission, but it was certainly fun trying.
Old 08-27-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to add this as a warning to folks without giving anything away.

There is an extended ending to the game with one hell of a twist. You will know when the first ending happens as the credits roll, then you are allowed to head back into Stilwater. As long as you save after completing each mission, you will have a save point to head back into the game after the true ending. The final ending doesn't allow you to save, but it's not needed as nothing is awarded. Just a little FYI.

BTW, finally had a Co-op match. While limited somewhat, it's a blast with the right teammate. We didn't complete the mission, but it was certainly fun trying.
Can you give more details/impressions on the co-op match, and other multiplayer modes? Or are you going to torture us and make us wait for your review tomorrow

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.