Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

BtVS: Chosen Collection - S5.D6.E21 problem!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 03:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Chosen Collection a month or two ago and I ran into my first problem with the set. As I was watching Episode 21 (Disc 6) of Season 5 (The Weight OF The World) the disc basically stuttered so badly that the picture would just freeze. This problem occurs during the dream sequence around chapter 10 on the disc. So, now as it stands, I cannot view chapters 10-15 of this one episode. The next episode after (The Gift) played without a hitch... much like the first 98 episodes previously viewed.

How do I go about getting a replacement for this disc? Do I have to return the entire Collection to Future Shop (Canadian version of Best Buy) and get an entire new set? And, who's to say if the new set's S5D6 is fine, what are the chances of a previous episode being faulty? I'm not one for gambling with that chance.

I need some help on this, can I maybe get a replacement DVD (Season 5, Disc 6 obviously) straight from 20th Century Fox? If so, how could I get in contact with the necessary department for replacing this defective disc? As you can tell I'm not exactly happy about having one bad episode poison the entire "Collection."

Also, as a final note, I have tested this particular bad seed disc on 3 separate DVD players. All with the exact same problem. So, it has to be the disc!

Thanks for any advice, websites, phone numbers, or contact information you can help me out with.
Old 08-23-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Many people have seem to be having a problem with this set (just satistically speaking with 40 discs, one of them is going to have a problem). Since the set isn't in production at the moment is also making this a rather large problem, especially since Fox has basically said that people are SOL... with there only course of action being to return it to the shop they purchased it from... Personally if i where you, I would cut my loses on the single episode (its not a Major one overall), and keep the set...
Old 08-23-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Aren't the show disks the same content as in the separate season packs [maybe with different art]? Those are still in production, or at least available, aren't they? If theyre still being printed, I would think Fox could yank a disk out of one of those runs to replace your bad one. All that's different about the Chosen versus individual seasons is the packaging and disk 40, or am I missing something?
Old 08-23-06, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Aren't the show disks the same content as in the separate season packs [maybe with different art]? Those are still in production, or at least available, aren't they? If theyre still being printed, I would think Fox could yank a disk out of one of those runs to replace your bad one. All that's different about the Chosen versus individual seasons is the packaging and disk 40, or am I missing something?
You would think but I've read horror stories of people saying that FOX won't replace any discs in the chosen collection because they don't replace just one disc but the entire set. Fortunately I had no problems with any of my discs. I'm shocked considering the amount of discs in the set.
Old 08-23-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is exactly why complete series sets have no interest for me. With the usual 30 day return policy at most stores, it's just too hard to get through all the seasons and by within the return window.

Nor do I like the idea of cramming tons of episodes on a single HD-DVD/Blu-Ray disc. I prefer a catastrophic disc failure to take out as few episodes as possible. Even if that means having my show spread out on more discs.
Old 08-24-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a duplicate disc 4 in season 2 instead of disc 5. As far as FOX is concerned you are shit out of luck since the set is OOP. (I realize this is lame since the DVDs are still in print in the season sets.)

HOWEVER they will replace season sets. So go purchase that season at say Target (who have a 90 day return policy), swamp out good version with your bad disc and complain about it to FOX. They will send you an entirely new DVD sealed set for your defective season which you can then return to Target (assuming they can turn it around in 90 days).

My problem was discussed here.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471193

Thanks to speedy1961 for his help with this:
Fox Consumer Hotline
(888) 223-2FOX

Last edited by rfduncan; 08-24-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-24-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

HOWEVER they will replace season sets. So go purchase that season at say Target (who have a 90 day return policy), swamp out good version with your bad disc and complain about it to FOX. They will send you an entirely new DVD sealed set for your defective season which you can then return to Target (assuming they can turn it around in 90 days).
Don't use Target, they have one of the strictest return policies known to man... if you have acess to Costco go that route because they have the most laidback policy I've ever seen but if that isn't an option Wal-Mart won't give you a lot of trouble...