Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Double Indemnity TERRIBLE packaging...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went out today on release day to pick up the SE of Double Indemnity. It wasn't advertised in any circulars, so most stores only had a few. But every store I went to, all the copies were broken! I went to 4 separate stores, and looked at at least 10 copies. I could pick them up and hear the loose discs inside, and on top of that, I could hear broken plastic in each one that must have been pieces of the plastic hub that was supposed to hold the disc in place. Ten copies!

Is this the shittiest packaging ever made, or am I just the unluckiest person in Los Angeles? I'm afraid to order it online now, for fear it will arrive broken.
Old 08-22-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm awaiting my pre-order from CH. I hope this is an isolated incident. It will probably ship today or tomorrow.
Old 08-22-06, 06:39 PM

I just got mine in the mail and the discs, while making "that noise," were firmly in place.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought someone was making reference to the crap pink glue they have attaching the back insert to the case - I took mine off and it (a) ripped part of the insert, (b) left remnants of itself on the case no matter how much I worked to remove it, and (c) discolored the artwork (just a texture, really) behind it. Why can't they just use that clear, easy to remove "glue" that has become standard by now?

Another sound you might be hearing is a single TCM advertisment sheet. Either way, it's likely that the discs aren't loose (at least not in all 10 cases).
Old 08-22-06, 06:41 PM

That's what I was thinking, but they were definitely the discs. It made much more noise than a sheet of paper would. And they opened one at the last place I went when I told them I'd been to several places, and it was broken. The plastic from the hub was in two pieces in that particular one.

I suppose I'm just incredibly unlucky. I didn't even know about the "glue" problem. I guess I'll just end up getting a busted one and reprinting some new artwork.

Last edited by Living Dead; 08-22-06 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine at Best Buy today, everything was packaged fine. Discs were perfect, the disc holders weren't cracked at all. I think it has incredible packaging.
Old 08-22-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe somehow the box of discs for that store just got damaged.
Old 08-22-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Maybe somehow the box of discs for that store just got damaged.
He said that he went to four separate stores.
Old 08-22-06, 07:17 PM

I went to one store and shook all of them...all good!
Old 08-22-06, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
He said that he went to four separate stores.
2 Best Buy's and 2 Circuit Cities. Then I got online to look and see if I could do store pickup and reserve one at another store, and they were all sold out within 30 miles of my house, on release date no less. I am cursed.
Old 08-22-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Three copies at my BB. Only one was a floater.
Old 08-22-06, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
2 Best Buy's and 2 Circuit Cities. Then I got online to look and see if I could do store pickup and reserve one at another store, and they were all sold out within 30 miles of my house, on release date no less. I am cursed.
Don't be so sure that the Best Buys near you are sold out. The online inventory will only show it "in stock," if they have at least three copies. The Best Buys near me showed it as out of stock earlier and they both had two copies when I was actually at the stores a few hours later.
Old 08-22-06, 11:46 PM

I didn't know that. Maybe I'll make some calls tomorrow. I'm dying to own this DVD. Billy Wilder is one of my favorite directors, and this is my favorite of his movies.
Old 08-23-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Got it last night
Old 08-23-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This reminds me of the Monster Legacy sets a while back. One of them, I forget which set, seemed to be really screwed up. I remember going into stores and at least half, if not more, of all copies had loose discs.
Old 08-23-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't this the same type of packaging as The Sting, The Deer Hunter and To Kill a Mockingbird? I dig em'. Pre-ordered from CH as well, so, wait and see for me.
Old 08-23-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Picked the first copy I grabbed and everything was perfect. Great set.
Old 08-23-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wish the paper on the back was more firmly attached to the case, but what are you going to do? The movie looked great, and that's what I was looking for the most.
Old 08-24-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got mine at BB as well. No problems with the packaging or case, but I do wish the info on that printed sheet was actually part of the back packaging. Mine wasn't even attached with anything, it just slid right off and since there's no good place to store it I tossed it. Otherwise, looks nice enough.
Old 08-24-06, 01:04 PM

Mine arrived yesterday from DDD in perfect condition. I removed the data sheet from the back without any trouble, but it did leave a pink residue so I stuck it back on since there's no good place to keep it inside the gatefold & it has information I'll want to refer to in the future.

-JM
Old 08-24-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I got mine the other day, disc 2 was loose but no major scratches, and the data sheet wasn't attached... came right off.
Old 08-24-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I completely agree. I hate the packaging and much prefer the original artwork and keepcase that was shown, months back. I have no clue why everyone thinks it's cool to have non-standard packaging for certain releases. In my opinion it's just more work for me to convert them to keep cases.

Anyone have a pic of the original artwork?
Old 08-24-06, 02:41 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

The data sheet on mine came off. I just folded it and stuck it in the case.
Old 08-24-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kerborus
I completely agree. I hate the packaging and much prefer the original artwork and keepcase that was shown, months back. I have no clue why everyone thinks it's cool to have non-standard packaging for certain releases. In my opinion it's just more work for me to convert them to keep cases.
I agree. Just a regular amaray would've been beautiful, but this what Universal is doing with their legacy series. I'm really happy with the series so far in terms of presentation and extras. I can overlook packaging.
Old 08-24-06, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jmurphy56
Mine arrived yesterday from DDD in perfect condition. I removed the data sheet from the back without any trouble, but it did leave a pink residue so I stuck it back on since there's no good place to keep it inside the gatefold & it has information I'll want to refer to in the future.

-JM
Same here. I pulled it off and it had a sticky residue that stayed behind on the actual case so I stuck the sheet right back on and it looks all right. I wish they'd use something that'd let me remove it without any residue, but I'm just happy to have the movie on DVD finally.
Old 08-25-06, 09:19 AM

I'm surprised to hear so many complaining about this packaging. I think all of Universal's Legacy Series have stylish package and look great. None of the ones I came across had any floaters. The OP had awful luck, methinks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.