Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What one movie disappointed you the most...ever?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-21-06, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one movie that you so desperately looked forward to or one you just thought you would love because of the many circumstances behind it (actors, director, story, etc...) and you were so disappointed it just mad you sad?

I'll have to come back for mine...
Old 08-21-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daredevil. It made me pissed off for ruining Elektra's true image.
Old 08-21-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The Thin Red Line.

Coming on the heels of Saving Private Ryan I was expecting some kickass Pacific theater combat. And the cast couldn't possibly miss. I was never more disappointed in a movie.

Since that first time I saw it in the theater I've watched it on dvd and come to terms with the movie and appreciate it for what it is: Poetry of Images.

Last edited by covenant; 08-21-06 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-21-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace by a nose over Jackie Brown.
Old 08-21-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I heard that A Sound Of Thunder Was coming out I was really looking forward to seeing it. I heard about it 6-8 months before it was ORIGINALLY suppose to come out. As the release date kept being pushed further and further back, I started to get a bad feeling about it. I really wanted to see this movie but with all of the bad press and reviews I still haven't taken the time to see it. I know that when I do see it, I will be really disapointed with it, so I just keep putting it off.

Also the Thin Red Line. I was hoping for a good war movie (and I realize that alot of people think this movie meets that criteria) but I still don't get it. I thought it was boring and a total waste of time. Just my opinion.
Old 08-21-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
For me it was the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy. It sounded like they had got a lot of it right before i went in to see it (especially the casting)....but then it all went wrong. I liked some things about it (the general design of things like the guide and the heart of gold), but they took and amazing book(s) and they added a lot of shit and made it something competely different than it originally was. They were just being chased all the way through the movie...that wasn't in the book...at least not the first book. The whole love story between Trillian and Arthur was unnecessary, the way they did Zaphods extra head was awful, and Marvin although looked good, he was way too big. I almost cried when i saw it. They had a chance to make something truly special...instead they screwed it up. I read that Douglas Adams wrote the screenplay......well that saddens me, because it means that to some extent he must have sold out in order to get the movie made. This could have been the start of a great trilogy in five parts....but it killed it altogether. I guess i will always have the books and the BBC TV series (which stays very loyal to the books and even though dated does a great job of capturing the feel of the book.
Old 08-21-06, 10:20 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Probably it was The Hudsucker Proxy, because up to that point the Coens had not stumbled at all. Their first four movies were all incredible, and a case could be made that each was even better than the preceding one. Then they came out with this movie...
Old 08-21-06, 10:22 AM

Godzilla with Matthew Broderick. I was so pumped from watching the trailers and then I saw the movie. It was ok but super boring in the middle and left me feeling pretty disappointed.

Phantom Menace would have been up there too, but the lightsaber fight at the end saved it.
Old 08-21-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Without a doubt, Jurassic Park. That movie was terrible, compared to the expectations I had set. When I become a famous director, I will remake it.
Old 08-21-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Phantom Menace hands down. I was a diehard Star Wars fan(Empire was my favorite film of all-time). The trailers looked incredible. I read the screenplay which was really good(trust me, it was).

Then I saw the movie.....and boy was I underwhelmed. Jake Lloyd was so dreadful as Anakin that I actually turned to my sis halfway through that infamous dinner scene and remarked how shitty an actor he was. And trust me, I always wait til the end of a movie before dissing it.

Just a weak film all the way around. The lone bright spot was Ian McDiarmid. Ewan didn't suck too bad either, but he was given little to work with. Oh, and I did like Watto as well.

The 2nd most disappointing movie ever was Revenge of the Sith. At least TPM got trashed by a fair number of critics and fans. ROTS was widely heralded as a return to form for Lucas and comparable to Star Wars and Empire. Uh, no it wasn't. It was a badly acted, poorly scripted, monotonous affair that reduced the baddest villain in cinematic history to a laughing stock.

3rd place might be Superman Returns. I didn't hate it, but it was getting really good reviews and I thought Bryan Singer would deliver. What I got instead was an inferior remake of Donner's original film.
Old 08-21-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd have to say Phantom Menace as well followed by Godzilla
Old 08-21-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I have quite a few:

Attack of the Clones and Return of the Jedi - heard both were great going in, found both to be utterly boring. Phantom Menace wasn't great but I didn't expect much going in, so I wasn't disappointed so much.

Serenity - I bought into the Internet hype, and again it turned out to be an utter bore, and was pretty poorly executed in parts. (The movie started on the wrong foot for me, and never really recovered til the end.)

The Sixth Sense - I think I just bore easily, I love slow and atmospheric movies but I think I just missed what the point of the movie was, wasn't entertained so much, and since I knew there was a "twist" coming, I kinda picked it out early on.

Equilibrium - I remember hearing about the movie a few weeks before it came out in theaters, was hyped to hell with the cool trailer and pretty solid cast. Movie never came to town (closest was 45 minutes away) so I held out to video (Which was, thankfully pretty quick), was pretty excited, popped it in and... yeah huge disappointment. I hate it when something that looks so damn cool turns out being a cheap, dull B-quality action flick.

Casshern - Similar to Equilibrium - cool trailer, caught it on video, didn't care for it so much.

But I guess if I had to pick one, I'd go with the one that's freshest in my mind:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - I enjoyed the original, and thought this one had great potential, but aside from a couple great parts, the movie was a complete drag, and was hugely disappointing overall.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-21-06 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a little kid, Jurassic Park was one of my favorite movies. So when The Lost World came out, I was super excited for it. That was my first major disapointing theatrical experience. I just couldn't wait for the movie to end. I thought every second of that movie sucked. It just wasn't any good. I couldn't believe it was a Spielberg movie.
Old 08-21-06, 12:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Probably it was The Hudsucker Proxy, because up to that point the Coens had not stumbled at all. Their first four movies were all incredible, and a case could be made that each was even better than the preceding one. Then they came out with this movie...
I didn't like this film at first either, but it's grown on my considerably after subsequent viewings (and once I got over the fact that it's basically a remake of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town).
Originally Posted by The Bus
Without a doubt, Jurassic Park. That movie was terrible, compared to the expectations I had set. When I become a famous director, I will remake it.
This is another film that gets better and better every time I watch it. There's not a wrong note in the entire movie. I often cite the first T-rex attack as an example of a perfect scene.

My pick: Back to the Future Part 2. Not a bad movie by any means, but it didn't come close to living up to the promise of the first film.

Last edited by Groucho; 08-21-06 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star Wars Prequels
Old 08-21-06, 12:46 PM

First let me say this; perhaps I'm a bit of a marblehead when it comes to movies.

Raging Bull. It sucked.

Hulk: Runner-up

Last edited by smirnoff; 08-21-06 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't know about "ever", but most recently, Night Watch, that Russian vampire film from a couple years ago. I remembered reading in a couple places what a good film it was, so I finally gave it a chance last night. Let me just say that it's extremely rare that I won't give a film enough of a chance to watch it until the end. I could not make it to the end of this one. Very confusing film, and since I was expecting more, disappointing.
Old 08-21-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Definitely The Phantom Menace.

Loved Hudsucker Proxy, and I even liked Jurassic Park after having read the book. Nice "change of media" from book to film.
Old 08-21-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think too many people create unbelievable expectations for themselves. Some people are naming genuine terrific movies. As for me, too easy to say Star Wars prequels. I would have to say Hulk.
Old 08-21-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

waterworld
Old 08-21-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Alien 3

(i have more respect for it now, but boy did that ever disappoint me after loving both Alien and Aliens for so long)
Old 08-21-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with the PHANTOM MENACE. Easily.

Once the credits started rolling, I sat there in stunned silence thinking: "What the f--k was that???"
Old 08-21-06, 01:16 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I didn't like this film at first either, but it's grown on my considerably after subsequent viewings (and once I got over the fact that it's basically a remake of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town).
Maybe it's my love for Mr. Deeds Goes To Town that inhibits my enjoyment of The Hudsucker Proxy?
Old 08-21-06, 01:17 PM

For me, Heat. I was so excited Pacino an DeNiro together. I almost fell asleep at the movies.

Second: Sleepers, boring.
Old 08-21-06, 01:20 PM
Banned

I'd like to say "Alien vs. Predator" but the writing was on the wall with that film as soon as Paul WS Anderson was attached.

Had I known nothing about the film I would have been terribly disappointed in it the first time I saw it but I had a good year to brace myself for the piece of shit it became.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.