Reload this Page >

Cable company called my bluff on canceling service. Need advice

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-15-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had both Cox cable TV and internet. The internet connection oftentimes went offline and the HD rates were raised because my promotion rate was over. I threatened to cancel my cable TV service. They accepted my cancelation without trying to keep me! Now, I want my HD service back. Does anyone know how I can do this while receiving a favorable rate? They don't have to come to install anything, so no installation fees, right?
Old 08-15-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's awesome.
Old 08-15-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

(No offense)
Old 08-15-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 414 Posts
Old 08-15-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I threatened to cancel my cable TV service. They accepted my cancelation without trying to keep me!

I'd call back and ask to talk to a Supervisor.....
Old 08-15-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
since everyone else is laughing at you
i cant resist joining in
Old 08-15-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's just it, the big companies don't give a shit about customer satisfaction, loyalty, or support these days.

They will cancel you with no notice and they'll get three new people to sign up in your place....no big deal for them.
Old 08-15-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 08-15-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Same thing almost happened to me, but with Time Warner. I don't know what I was upset about, but I threatened to cancell and get service through their competitor. The response was "I can take care of that now if you like.." I found a reason to get off the phone and stopped complaining since I had no intention of switching anyway.

But still, .
Old 08-15-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 582 Posts
Get dishnetwork for your internet, and watch DVD's. Who needs cable TV?
Old 08-15-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cox is for suckers. Do you have Verizon out where you are? Cause FIOS + FIOSTV is sweet. Or, see what DirecTV will do for you.

Last edited by GMan2819; 08-15-06 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-15-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by GMan2819
Take the opportunity to look at what DirecTV offers.
A cable feed on East Coast time? I really hate that, but whatcha gonna do? And no, I'm not paying for Tivo.
Old 08-15-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you mention that you were going to switch to DirecTV? Call them back, ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them that you are getting fed up with the high prices which is why you are switching, but make up some story about how you don't know when you'll have time to have the DirecTV installer come out to the house and you'd like to have service for that time period. If that doesn't work, you could always just tell the truth and say you want to keep cable, but you don't want to keep the same prices. Normally though, the cable companies don't care about you cancelling, they care about your switching to another company/DirecTV. It helps to bitch and moan a lot about how disasstisfied you are with the service when you call them.
Old 08-15-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Every cable company is different, but when I've called TWC to see if I could get a deal, I've just said "I just got my bill, it's more than I want to pay, I want to see what we can do about it." I like cable, I don't want to spend the initial investment sat would take [plus they'd most likely require a contract], so I don't want to threaten to cancel, I just let them fill in the blanks.
Old 08-15-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much of a difference is it in price?
Old 08-15-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The least I've saved is 10 bucks off RoadRunner for six months--since I had just come off a deal for cable, I had to be 'regular price' for a month before being eligible for another deal. Other than that, however, I got deals saving 30-60 a month; including one time when I was getting virtually every channel except the HD suite and one premium family, an HDDVR, and RoadRunner, for less than the price of RoadRunner and the basic/digital tiers. And that was coming off of my 'satellite customer buyback discount,'; this second deal gave me more channels, for less money than the first deal. Even if I never get another deal, I've probably saved 1000$ in the couple years we've been with them.
Old 08-15-06, 03:14 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger
Get dishnetwork for your internet, and watch DVD's. Who needs cable TV?
Sports fans.

If it weren't for sports, I'd ditch cable in a heartbeat.
Old 08-15-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first time I called up TWC, I had them add another digital cable channel and was paying $30 less ($40 savings I think) than I had been before. They replicated the deal the 2nd year, then the 3rd year (current) I'm saving about $15 off regular price which sucks. It should expire next month, I'm going to pay one month at full price, then call them up and renegotiate. If they won't cut me a real deal, I will be going to DirecTV.
Old 08-15-06, 03:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is like the time I jokingly suggested to my wife that we try dating other people.
Old 08-15-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Every cable company is different, but when I've called TWC to see if I could get a deal, I've just said "I just got my bill, it's more than I want to pay, I want to see what we can do about it." I like cable, I don't want to spend the initial investment sat would take [plus they'd most likely require a contract], so I don't want to threaten to cancel, I just let them fill in the blanks.
It's also probably different in different TWC markets as well. Interestingly enough though, TWC's deals are basically 1-year contracts. You can cancel in the meantime, but you can't renogotiate, or even change ANY channels you receive. My first year I had HBO, CineMax and Shotime. I wanted to switch Max to Starz, but they told me that was "impossible" as my channels were locked down until the old contract expired. When I called them back after it expired, I was able to get them to switch. You also can't bargain with them over pricing even a day before the old contract expires.
Old 08-15-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
This is like the time I jokingly suggested to my wife that we try dating other people.
If I joked about that my wife would divorce me, not cancel my cable service.
Old 08-15-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho

Now thats funny.
Old 08-15-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mordred
It's also probably different in different TWC markets as well. Interestingly enough though, TWC's deals are basically 1-year contracts. You can cancel in the meantime, but you can't renogotiate, or even change ANY channels you receive. My first year I had HBO, CineMax and Shotime. I wanted to switch Max to Starz, but they told me that was "impossible" as my channels were locked down until the old contract expired. When I called them back after it expired, I was able to get them to switch. You also can't bargain with them over pricing even a day before the old contract expires.
Wow...That's just what a customer wants to hear, 'it's impossible'.
Mine have been 'promotional pricing for 12 months' or promotional pricing for 6 months', but I admittedly haven't called to change anything before that time is up, so I don't know if I'm 'contracted' in to it or not.
When mine went to regular price, I dropped virtually everything except the HDDVR.
Although I think it's been a month at 'regular' price, so I'm due for a 'gimme a deal' call anytime now.
Old 08-15-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I had that happen with cable internet--they weren't going to help me out ratewise at all, so I got DSL. Then all of a sudden I got a bunch of "we want you back" solicitations that were basically better than anything I'd asked for.

A few months later I moved to where I couldn't get DSL and called for their $99 deal (phone, cable, internet combo). Well, it hadn't been 6 months since I'd had internet, it had been 5 1/2, so no go. I pointed out they were losing cable and phone business too over the 2 weeks, but they wouldn't budge. I tried to go in in person, but Comcast is only open the hours I work.

Then it hit me. Even though on their best rates they may be a little cheaper, Comcast sucks. They are the crappiest, must unhelpful company I've dealt with in a long time. So I have Directv, Clearwire, and regular phone service now, and though it may cost a bit more, I'm happy with it and very glad I don't have to deal with the cable company at all.
Old 08-15-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Yep they'll come begging for you back so fast its actually worth it to cancel. Hell dont even pay the bill most of the time they wipe it clean just to get you back lol, its retarded.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.