Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Horror at Toronto '06

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Horror at Toronto '06

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horror at Toronto '06

I was planning to put together a list for myself, so I know what flicks not to miss at the festival this year. But then I figured why not slap it up in this forum and spark a discussion with all my horrorgeek pals.

The Toronto Film Festival is usually good for a solid handful of genre titles, but this year looks to be a freaking blast. Get these:

The Abandoned (Spain) -- Haunted inheritance.
All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (USA) -- Sounds like an interesting take on the slasher sub-genre.
Black Sheep (New Zealand) -- Killer sheep! Awesome!
The Host (South Korea) -- Been hearing lots of good about this monster movie.
Princess (Denmark) -- I don't think it's horror, but it does sound pretty wild.
S&Man (USA) -- Saw this at SXSW, and it's pretty darn good.
Severance (UK) -- From the director of Creep, which gets better on repeat viewings, I must say.
Sheitan (France) -- I think it's French for "Satan."
Trapped Ashes (USA/Japan/Canada) -- Anthology horror from Joe Dante, Sean S. Cunningham, Ken Russell, Monte Hellman, and John Gaeta (making his directorial debut).

OK, those ones (along with Borat, yes!) are part of the Midnight Madness line-up, but there seems to be a few great horror(-ish)-type picks in the other programs, including:

End of the Line (Canada) -- Subway train terror.
Fido (Canada) -- Post-apocalyptic domesticated zombie tale, packing an excellent cast.
The Last Winter (USA/Iceland) -- The new one from Larry Fessenden, and it sounds pretty great.
Pan's Labyrinth (Spain) -- 'Nuff said!

And maybe a few more than I missed or that haven't been announced yet. I doubt I'll be able to see all of 'em, but that won't stop me from trying.
Old 08-15-06, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Sheep shouds AMAZING! The Host got a pretty good score at IMDB so it's got me interested now. It's also an Action / Comedy / Drama / Fantasy / Horror / Sci-Fi / Thriller according to IMDB, Yes! I've been interested in Trapped Ashes since I first heard about it a few months ago, can't wait to see it. Fido sounds Interesting, I love zombie movies so thanks for the info. And Pan's Labyrinth...Looks totally rad.

I wish they would have stuff like this here in Tallahassee, FL, or around but I never hear of such things, all that goes on around here is people drinking and football games.
Old 08-15-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I hate you....

you lucky bastard
Old 08-21-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Since "Memories of Murder" is one of my favorite Korean films, I'm looking forward to Bong Joon-ho's "The Host". Here's Darcy Paquet's review of "The Host" on koreanfilm.org:

http://www.koreanfilm.org/kfilm06.html#thehost