Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Lunar: Dragon Song

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunar: Dragon Song

Picked this up a little while ago (debated between it and Mega Man X Collection), and now I'm about a third of the way into it. I bought it at EB for $19.99 and the clerk said, "Are you sure you want to buy this? There are plenty of great RPGs coming out, you've just have to be patient..." to which I laughed and said that I know it's supposed to be horrible but I'll take my chances.

Maybe it's because I set my expectations in the gutter, but I'm actually having an okay time with it. To do so, I've found that you have to take a sort of Zen approach to its problems, like accepting that the characters will make the worst possible targeting decisions in combat and running without concern for health.

Anyone else played this?
Old 08-06-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not too bad at first, but eventually all the little annoyance become unbearable. Running causes you to lose HP, you have to fight seperate battles to get items or XP, you have to do stupid fetch quests just to get money, enemies never seem to drop the items you need, you can't target enemies and you're characters choose the most inefficient battle strategies. Did I mention running causes you to lose HP? Anger....rising....must take deep breaths.

Anyway, if you can make it more than 7 1/2 hours into the game, I think you'll have beat my record.
Old 08-10-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I got this at the CC sale for $9 but haven't decided what to do with it. Open it, sell it on half or trade it in. I thought I could easily make the money back. Should I actually venture forth and try to play? I'm more concerned about time then money really.
Old 08-11-06, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought this for $9 as well and it is still shrinkwrapped. I may try it at some point for the story which I have heard is good.
Old 08-11-06, 08:58 AM

this game was a turd. you have to choose between items or exp. whose idea was that??? you only earn money by doing stupid delivery quests. can't target enemies.. why even let us fight? the game should automatically fight the battles. and it cheaply inflates game time by penalizing running. this is the perfect example of how NOT to make an rpg
Old 08-11-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh

I love Lunar 1 and 2 and bought this pre-ordered. What a mistake. The targeting system (more accurately, the lack of one) makes it feel like you're playing an RPG on auto-pilot. Toss in the losing HP while running B.S. and I only made it about 3 hours into the game before selling it. Worst game I've bought on launch about a decade.
Old 08-12-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Ugh

I love Lunar 1 and 2 and bought this pre-ordered. What a mistake. The targeting system (more accurately, the lack of one) makes it feel like you're playing an RPG on auto-pilot. Toss in the losing HP while running B.S. and I only made it about 3 hours into the game before selling it. Worst game I've bought on launch about a decade.
That is almost like me, I am a huge Lunar fan but decided not to buy this, thank god for the reviews. I have not played it and I will pretend this does not exist.