Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

David Lynch talk about Transcendental Meditation DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Lynch talk about Transcendental Meditation DVD

Many of you may know that David Lynch has recently spent a lot of time talking about Transcendental Meditation. Actually this interview with Lynch was the spring board for my dive into TM (I've been doing it about a year and it was the start of positive things in my health, marriage, career and school. Also turns out my teacher was friends with the teacher that taught Lynch TM back in '79!):
http://www.suntimes.com/special_sect...nws-god16.html

That's a primer for those who would be honestly interested in this free DVD from the Maharishi University of Management:
http://www.mum.edu/
It features a talk Lynch gave on campus on TM. It's quite a stimulating talk, and if any of you have questions about my personal experience with TM, do email me. Otherwise, enjoy this free DVD, which comes with information on the university, of course.
Old 08-06-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've very interested, but I can't get the link to work. Anyone else?
Old 08-06-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
I've very interested, but I can't get the link to work. Anyone else?
I just tested them. All I have to do is click on them and boom, I'm there. Don't copy and paste the first one-- that won't work because it is shortened for the message board.
Old 08-06-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Claims there's a cost of $10 for me.
Old 08-06-06, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Claims there's a cost of $10 for me.
I got the same thing when I chose "Other Purpose" for the DVD. I guess if you sign up for the "Interested in Joining the University" options, you'd get it for free, but then you'd get a lot of junk mail, I'd imagine.
Old 08-06-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spez
I got the same thing when I chose "Other Purpose" for the DVD. I guess if you sign up for the "Interested in Joining the University" options, you'd get it for free, but then you'd get a lot of junk mail, I'd imagine.
Yes, I received it free for being "Interested in Joining the University." I did not try "other purpose." I did receive a packet of information with the DVD, which comes in a small cardboard slipcase but has a full color cover. But, like I said, it's really for those honestly interested in this subject matter. It's really not just any other promo DVD, as it offers insight into the practice of TM and its societal repercussions. So far I've watched an hour and a half of it, and the school is not mentioned at all.
Old 08-06-06, 05:03 PM
Defunct Account

I'm glad that Slowcloud enjoys his TM, but I'd be very wary of anything from Maharishi University of Management (formerly the Maharishi International University). Though I have not seen this DVD, I have read a lot of their literature in the past and it is filled with many false claims, partial truths, and wild conjectures.

Not wanting to start an argument here. I just want people to do a little research before they turn over any cash to these guys. (Start with the Criticisms and controversies section of the wikipedia entry for TM.)
Old 08-07-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by videophile
Not wanting to start an argument here. I just want people to do a little research before they turn over any cash to these guys. (Start with the Criticisms and controversies section of the wikipedia entry for TM.)
Well, they also need to go to more than one source who has cheery-picked information form other sources, as I know the information wikipedia presents contains several inaccuracies.

I personally think some of TM is "out there," but I haven't seen it among the meditators I have met. It's really a simple technique that need not be understood on such a spiritual level. It works in a very practical way by one simply taking the time to twice a day stop for 20 minutes and delve into their own consciousness. That's all there is to it.

But this discussion could get one-sided if one hasn't tried to learn it for themselves. Besides, this is a thread for a free DVD with David Lynch, who talks about the subject. If anything, it’s an interesting curiosity. As I said earlier, email me personally with questions about my experience with it, if you are interested. I’m not interested in a debate. Just make sure you consider pros with cons.
Old 08-08-06, 12:52 AM
Cool New Member

Can someone tell me which university talk is represented on this DVD? I got one of these quite some time ago and want to be sure it's the same one I have...thanks!
Old 08-08-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
http://www.myspace.com/seattletm
Old 08-10-06, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Peter Canavese
Can someone tell me which university talk is represented on this DVD? I got one of these quite some time ago and want to be sure it's the same one I have...thanks!
March 24-26, 2006 at Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, Iowa.

I find it odd that such a school is located in Iowa, not exactly known for progressive education. No disrespect to Iowa residents...I live in Kansas, which is even more conservative. Anyway, I got the disc within a few days of making the request. Includes a minimum of additional fliers and inserts with information on the university. No phone calls, yet.
Old 08-10-06, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Within an hour of that last post I received my first phone call from the MUM admissions office. One call, maybe a few, I can live with...otherwise I'm going to start wishing I paid $10 for the disc rather than clicking that other button. Not blaming them at all, totally my fault, and I was kind of surprised they waited this long to call me. Just letting others know what to expect from the "free" route to this disc...