Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP Quandary

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 07:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
PSP Quandary

Please forgive my near total PSP ignorance all, but I was wondering if I could have your input.

My nephew has a fairly new PSP, the value pack, and 2-3 games (maybe Burnout and Lumines). He really wants to get a 360, and given the possible "death" of the PSP, has decided to sell it to get money towards the 360.

The mall stores will only give him $100 for it, and looking at competed auctions on ebay I'm guessing he'd get $150-200 for the lot.

I'm thinking about giving him $200 for it, just to help him out mainly, and so that I'd have a portable browser to use at Panera and other wireless spots like my church.

I will rarely use it for games, I'm a Gameboy fan for my portable gaming.

I may buy some UMDs once they are $5 or so clearance, and might rip some DVDs to blank UMDs or memory sticks, but probably not.

So I'm really just getting it to check my email at church, how is the browser?

Any other recommendations or suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-03-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't trade it in, you get really crappy value. $200 is about right, maybe alittle on the high side but he is family I wouldn't get it just for browser though, since the browser is kinda slow. I used it to check my gmail account and that wasn't bad, but if you need to write an email, it is very clunky. Basically, any text input is a pain.

And UMDs are basically dead, all the stores are pulling them and I think Sony is abandoning it as well since it is not selling well. You should front your nephew $150 for the PSP, then put it on ebay and see if you can get at least that much (probably alittle bit more).

EDIT: I am not sure what you mean by "death" of PSP. I think it has a long life ahead. Plenty of good games coming out this year (like Ghost n Ghouls collection, Metal Slug collection). I just got a PSP about 3 weeks ago and already have 10 very fun games...
Old 08-03-06, 09:00 AM

dude checking your email at church. Whats up with that? just wondering
Old 08-03-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My PSP usage has gotten to the point of mostly wathcing UMD's or ripped DVD's on memory stick, a little bit of gaming, and very little internet browsing. The internet browsing is SLOW, useful as a novelty or in a pinch. Terrible for typing emails and just barely passable for reading them. If you really want/need email on the go its hard to beat a Blackberry or Treo.
Old 08-03-06, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
dude checking your email at church. Whats up with that? just wondering
Not as bad as it sounds. I'm at church several days a week, often there early for a meal, and often have time to kill before or between meetings.

Mainly, I just know that is wi-fi enabled, I spend lots of time there, so its one excuse to get a wi-fi device.
Old 08-03-06, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by cseyer
My PSP usage has gotten to the point of mostly wathcing UMD's or ripped DVD's on memory stick, a little bit of gaming, and very little internet browsing. The internet browsing is SLOW, useful as a novelty or in a pinch. Terrible for typing emails and just barely passable for reading them. If you really want/need email on the go its hard to beat a Blackberry or Treo.
Thanks, I can't really justify buying one of those better internet devices, but my birthday is coming up if one of you is interested....

I'm basically just trying to come up with enough pros to help out my nephew a bit.

I'll probably only rarely use it for gaming, movies, or internet, but the chance to help my nephew puts me over the edge. And since I'm overpaying him, I'll consider it part of his birthday present.

Plus, he'll now get his 360 quicker so he can play with me online.

Thanks for the input all.
Old 08-03-06, 02:22 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, paying $200 for it seems a bit silly sense you can buy a new one for that. But if you're that generous and just want to help him out, then go for it.
Old 08-03-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I don't own an iPod so I use my PSP as my music player.
Old 08-03-06, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Well, paying $200 for it seems a bit silly sense you can buy a new one for that. But if you're that generous and just want to help him out, then go for it.
Well, he's kept it in pretty immaculate condition, and isn't the value pack $250 retail?

It turns out the 2 games are not as good as I had said earlier, they are just Xmen and Need for Speed. I'll probably trade/sell those here.

So, used for $200 may be a bit high, but he knows its part of his birthday present so its cool.
Old 08-03-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's X-men Legends 2, that is one helluva game. I would definitely keep that game.
Old 08-03-06, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I don't own an iPod so I use my PSP as my music player.
Good idea, but my phone is a Sony Walkman phone, with 2 gigs of mp3/photo storage, so I doubt I'll keep music on the PSP.

But good point if I ever move to a different phone.

But after having a phone with mp3 support and a 2 mp camera, I don't think I'll ever switch to a phone without those features.....
Old 08-03-06, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
If it's X-men Legends 2, that is one helluva game. I would definitely keep that game.
I think it is, he said it had apocalypse in the title.
Old 08-03-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It will help out a family member and I use mine much more than I thought for gaming.

I might suggest GTA:LCS which is $15 right now at CC although that might not work well at your church.
Old 08-04-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the web-browser is pretty bad IMO. It's VERY slow. The PSP is a nice device, although lately I'm using it for DVD's. I usually rip a TV show and listen/watch it at work. I use it for gaming on trips only, never while I'm home....that is what the 360 is for

I use mine for music sometimes too at work, but I have Satellite at work, so I listen to Stern there
Old 08-04-06, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by gcribbs

I might suggest GTA:LCS which is $15 right now at CC although that might not work well at your church.