Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

30 Days--"Outsourcing",8/2/06

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 Days--"Outsourcing",8/2/06

Another good show. There were a lot of great moments, like training people to sound like Americans, and memorizing the states and capitals. I thought Spurlock got sidetracked on the costs to the Indians and the tension within the family and cultural issues. It certainly seemed like they were all very grateful for the opportunities, despite the costs. Yeah there are a lot of problems in India, but they were there before, and the country is undoubtedly better off because of outsourcing. Still, the usual approach to the story is what is the cost to the US, so it was interesting to see it from a different angle.

One issue that I would have liked to see discussed is the growing backlash against the use of foreign call centers, as companies like Dell realize that they may have gone too far.

This one turned out to have some personal resonance for me, I didn't realize that he had worked at Morgan Stanley, where I had been a computer programmer as well, for 2 years in the 1980s(my 1st job out of college, ha, I wised up and went and got my MBA).
Old 08-04-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Good enough episode, but it ended up being a lot more about the current social climates in India than about Outsourcing.
Old 08-05-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Good enough episode, but it ended up being a lot more about the current social climates in India than about Outsourcing.
I agree, I really enjoyed the episode, but it felt like a documentary on India's struggle of modernization versus cultural traditions rather than outsourcing. The guy who participated articulated his experience very well, there really wasn't that much of a need for Morgan Spurlock narrating, becuase the guy related everything so well.
Old 08-05-06, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great episode
Old 08-05-06, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
With this one and the one on immigration, it is almost like I am suppose to feel bad for putting America first. I enjoyed it, and it is interesting to see the other side, but I guess I still think there is nothing wrong with advocating what is best for our country.
Old 08-05-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by msdmoney
I agree, I really enjoyed the episode, but it felt like a documentary on India's struggle of modernization versus cultural traditions rather than outsourcing. The guy who participated articulated his experience very well, there really wasn't that much of a need for Morgan Spurlock narrating, becuase the guy related everything so well.
I agree with what you say, that the ep wasn't so much about outsourcing but about the changing Indian culture, but I think that was one of the reasons that I really liked this ep. It seemed to dig a little deeper than just "outsourcing." Because of that, I would think that even people against outsourcing would find things to appreciate in this ep.

But I couldn't believe when we got to see the dog hunting the rodent inside the house. Yuck! I couldn't deal with that, and I wouldn't want to see my dog eating a rodent. And the hornet's nest in the shower? Talk about slightly dangerous to some sensitive parts of the body.