DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Frankenstein: The True Story ----> 9/24/06

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frankenstein: The True Story ----> 9/24/06

From dvdactive.com:

Title: Frankenstein: The True Story (IMDb)
Starring: James Mason
Released: 26th September 2006
SRP: $19.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has announced the 1973 television series Frankenstein: The True Story which stars James Mason, Leonard Whiting and Jane Seymour. This single-disc release will be available to own from the 26th September, and should set you back around $19.98. Each of the episodes (making a total of 3 hours 3 minutes) will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono tracks. The only extra material will be some preview trailers. We've attached the artwork below:
Cover art here:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...rue-story.html
Old 08-02-06, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for some reason all I remember about this movie was it was good,a tv guide article about it and somebody singing Figaro,Figaro in it.I will pick it up thanks op.
Old 08-02-06, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shit... I have a vague recollection of finally tracking this down a while back, watching it, and being disappointed. But now I have no firm memory at all. I'm going to end up renting this all over again.

I really have to start keeping a log or something...
Old 08-03-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a terrific TV movie which for years (on local TV) was only available in a severely truncated version that made no sense. I seem to remember it coming out on VHS, but the short version only.

From the Maltin Movie & Video Guide:

"Epic retelling of Mary Shelley's frightmare with brilliant Christopher Isherwood screenplay ... competes favorably with the immortal Karloff movies ... creature played stunningly by Michael Sarrazin ... marvelous cast in this thinking-man's horror movie."
Old 08-03-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Fantastic news! I've been wanting to see this come out on DVD for looong time. It hasn't even been showing on any tv (that I've seen) so its been ages since most have had a chance to see this. Yeah, its a stupid name (the "true story" bit). But I remember this as a first-rate intelligent show that really did have a different take on the Frankenstein story (though those expecting monsters will be disappointed).
Old 08-03-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
This is a terrific TV movie which for years (on local TV) was only available in a severely truncated version that made no sense. I seem to remember it coming out on VHS, but the short version only.

From the Maltin Movie & Video Guide:

"Epic retelling of Mary Shelley's frightmare with brilliant Christopher Isherwood screenplay ... competes favorably with the immortal Karloff movies ... creature played stunningly by Michael Sarrazin ... marvelous cast in this thinking-man's horror movie."
The VHS was the edited down version. A few years ago AMC(when the channel was still commercial free) aired the entire full length version in the middle of the night with a break where the original broadcast airing was divided over two nights. The full length version has an introduction by James Mason from the grave of Mary Shelley. I think this is one of the all time best '70s TV movies. Jane Seymour as The Bride and what happens to her is great. Lets hope it's the complete version and not the vhs version.
Old 08-03-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
Lets hope it's the complete version and not the vhs version.
The specs are showing a running time of 183 minutes, which indicates that it indeed will be the uncut verson.
Old 08-03-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh, I LOVE this! It's SO sad! I'd love to see it again.
Old 08-03-06, 01:42 PM

Yes, great news! I remember watching this when I was a kid on an old UHF station...I don't remember much of what made it so special, but it has stuck with me for many years. Can't wait to rewatch it and discover it again.