Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Fox titles 47% off on Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fox titles 47% off on Amazon

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but then I don't usually post much in bargains.

Save 47% on Classic and Noir DVDs

Enjoy the following film buff's library of classic and noir DVDs at 47% off, courtesy of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...?docId=1452201

The price on the $14.98 list price DVDs beats DDD's 20% off by about 30 cents, and if you order four or more you get free shipping.

Let me know if this is a repost and I'll delete the thread.
Old 08-02-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They also have a couple of Fox's new boxsets included -- $18.47 for the Laurel & Hardy Collection, and $29.99 for Betty Gable Vol. 1 (and if you buy it with the Jayne Mansfield Collection, you get an additional $5 off).

These Fox sets have been overpriced compared to Warners, but this brings them to a fairly reasonable level. Too bad Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto and Will Rogers aren't included.
Old 08-02-06, 08:32 PM
Banned

Ordered Laura. Good price.
Old 08-02-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Too bad Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto and Will Rogers aren't included.
Well, Mr. Moto has been 40% off on the site for a couple of months now... I scooped that up long ago.

Thanks to the OP for pointing this sale out!
Old 08-03-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
.... $29.99 for Betty Gable Vol. 1 (and if you buy it with the Jayne Mansfield Collection, you get an additional $5 off).

These Fox sets have been overpriced compared to Warners, but this brings them to a fairly reasonable level.
Yes, I've been spoiled by the WB pricing which has been coming out to about $7-8 per movie for some terrific box sets. Still, I may have to bite the bullet and get these.
Old 08-03-06, 10:46 AM
Banned

A lot of these titles look old. Not sure why they would make a sale like this since I doubt anyone really cares for these titles.

What about putting their tv box sets on sale, like 24? Or some other worthwhile titles?
Old 08-03-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, nobody cares about old movies. They just have a bunch of people who aren't alive anymore. And don't get me started on this whole black and white thing. I can't believe they were so cheap to not use color for more of these!
Old 08-03-06, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by billthesaidso
A lot of these titles look old. Not sure why they would make a sale like this since I doubt anyone really cares for these titles.

What about putting their tv box sets on sale, like 24? Or some other worthwhile titles?
wow.
Old 08-03-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, bill... between this, your Halloween posts, and the request for a 20% DDD coupon, you're pretty much batting a thousand so far.

I think you really need to rethink your strategy for contributing to a forum community.
Old 08-03-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I.E. contributing.
Old 08-03-06, 12:22 PM

Yeah, old movies are like stupid or something.
Some of these aren't even in color!
Old 08-03-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really hope you are kidding but I have a feeling you're not. I recommend you pick a title at random from that list, order it, and watch it. I doubt you'll be dissapointed. The Fox Film Noir series is great, Laura would be a great start.
Old 08-03-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You have GOT to be that Lowenbotten dude that "discovered IMDB" a few months ago, and made other non-informative posts. I'm POSITIVE that you are him, using a new alias...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 08-03-06 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-03-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You have GOT to be that Lowenbotten dude that "discovered IMDB" a few months ago, and made other non-informative posts. I'm POSITIVE that you are him, using a new alias...
Looking at those posts, that sounds about right to me. All of his posts were either trolling or adding nothing to the discussion. This guy's off to the same start. Note the join date came not too long after the "other guy" was shown the door.
Old 08-03-06, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Void
I really hope you are kidding but I have a feeling you're not. I recommend you pick a title at random from that list, order it, and watch it. I doubt you'll be dissapointed. The Fox Film Noir series is great, Laura would be a great start.
What is Laura about?
Old 08-03-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

www.IMDB.com
Old 08-03-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-03-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered a couple of the sale Studio Classics that I had never gotten around to picking up before - The Three Faces of Eve and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, along with this week's new release of Putney Swope. Thanks to the OP for posting.

But since these are such old movies, I am wondering will they work with my TV? Because it's a color TV - that black and white stuff won't ruin my picture tube, will it?
Old 08-03-06, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
I ordered a couple of the sale Studio Classics that I had never gotten around to picking up before - The Three Faces of Eve and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, along with this week's new release of Putney Swope. Thanks to the OP for posting.

But since these are such old movies, I am wondering will they work with my TV? Because it's a color TV - that black and white stuff won't ruin my picture tube, will it?
Only Putney Swope is B&W and I think you are okay with that. But I hope you don't have a widescreen TV.
Old 08-03-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Everyone knows if you run B&W material on a color display it will burn an image onto the screen.
Old 08-03-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate how so many of these old movies are full screen only!
Old 08-03-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Yeah, I'm not buying Laura till they release it in widescreen. And the whole dead people thing--they should have hired younger actors in the first place so they wouldn't all be dead now.
Old 08-04-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, we're lucky these old movies are on DVD. They can't even show black and white movies in theaters anymore. All the projectors are in color!
Old 08-05-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, I'm not buying Laura till they release it in widescreen. And the whole dead people thing--they should have hired younger actors in the first place so they wouldn't all be dead now.
Um, my copy of Laura says the following: "This film is presented in a full frame format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition." In fact, all the titles in the Fox Film Noir series say this, except for House of Bamboo which is in widescreen format. I'm not an expert here, but would a widescreen version be all that different?
Old 08-05-06, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrpeavey
Um, my copy of Laura says the following: "This film is presented in a full frame format preserving the aspect ratio of its original theatrical exhibition." In fact, all the titles in the Fox Film Noir series say this, except for House of Bamboo which is in widescreen format. I'm not an expert here, but would a widescreen version be all that different?
As with pretty much every post in this thread, I'm sure David was being sarcastic about waiting for Laura to be released in widescreen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.