Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Best deal for a decent camcorder??

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 07-29-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going on a weekender vacation this next weekend for hubby's birthday, and we're thinking we may want to get a camcorder for the trip. Don't need anything particularly fancy, but there are so many different makes/models out there, I really am at a loss as to deciding on one in particular. Any thoughts on a decent, relatively inexpensive model? Given the short timeframe, it'd probably need to be one we can simply go buy at a B&M rather than online (unless there's a good deal on quick shipping too!)

My sincerest thanks in advance for your time and input!!!
Old 07-29-06, 05:48 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I have a Canon ZR500, and it works great. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but a good camera for a good price (currently $265.94 @ Amazon).
Old 07-30-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's are two things that may be of interest to you:

#1. CVS and other places of that ilk have a one time use camcorder for $30.

#2. The Target ad I have for 8/6 - 8/12 has the following:

AIPTEK Digital MPEG-4 camcorder / 5 megapixel maximum resolution camera with image stabilzation. Includes batteries and USB cable.

Model ISDV2

$98.88
Old 07-30-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Today's Best Buy had has 2 camcorders:

Samsung >>>> $279.99 - $30 = $249.99

and

JVC >>>> $279.99
Old 07-30-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you both! I truly appreciate the feedback! (I had no idea they had one-time use camcorders?!?!?! Regardless, we don't have CVS here in the Pacific Northwest). We did some comparison shopping last night and ended up getting the Samsung SC-D365 from Best Buy for $260! (They had an $80 instant rebate going - normally $340!!)

It was a little bit of a blind buy, since we didn't know much about the camera other than the specs listed on the price tag; however, when we got home, I sat down at the computer and looked up user and tech reviews on cnet.com and circuitcity.com ..... the camera gets five out of five stars all the way around!!! The ONLY complaint was from a user who really wished a remote control had come with the camera..... this, we can do without!!

Thank you again! Hubby's got a new toy that he's VERY happy with!!!
Old 07-30-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Thank you both! I truly appreciate the feedback! (I had no idea they had one-time use camcorders?!?!?! Regardless, we don't have CVS here in the Pacific Northwest). We did some comparison shopping last night and ended up getting the Samsung SC-D365 from Best Buy for $260! (They had an $80 instant rebate going - normally $340!!)

It was a little bit of a blind buy, since we didn't know much about the camera other than the specs listed on the price tag; however, when we got home, I sat down at the computer and looked up user and tech reviews on cnet.com and circuitcity.com ..... the camera gets five out of five stars all the way around!!! The ONLY complaint was from a user who really wished a remote control had come with the camera..... this, we can do without!!

Thank you again! Hubby's got a new toy that he's VERY happy with!!!
CVS / Walgreens / Rite-Aid, etc.

Glad it worked out for you!
Old 07-30-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by speedy1961
CVS / Walgreens / Rite-Aid, etc.

Glad it worked out for you!
Ooh! Thanks for the tip.... somehow I've missed the fact that they're related! In the spirit of hijacking my own thread, does this mean if CVS advertises a deal, chances are the same one (or something similar) will be available at the other two?
Old 08-01-06, 05:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

For the record, CVS and Walgreens ARE NOT related, I'm sure the poster meant those stores are same "type" of stores.