Hellboy: Sword of Storms (animated) ----> 2/6/2007

From Home Media Retailing

Hellboy Gets Animated
Author: JESSICA WOLF
[email protected]
Posted: July 23, 2006
Email this Story to Friend

This isn’t your daddy’s Hellboy.

A new feature-length animated movie following the unlikely hero airs on Cartoon Network in October.

Hellboy: Sword of Storms also streets on DVD Feb. 6, 2007, from IDT Entertainment’s release arm, Anchor Bay Entertainment.

It’s one of two animated “Hellboy” creations funded by IDT.

This time around, the big red boy is in a world of Japanese folklore, with a new look and flavor that’s faithful to, but riffs off the original style of the character.

A panel of “Hellboy” crew including creator Mike Mignola, live-action Hellboy director Guillermo Del Toro, new artist Sean “Cheeks” Galloway, artist Matt Wayne and animated director Tad Stones, hit up this year’s Comic-Con to give fans a peek at the new look.

It was the first time Mignola and Del Toro caught a glimpse of the final animated version, with a clip of Hellboy, Liz and Abe fighting off a tomb-full of invincible zombies and giant bat like creatures.

“That looks pretty good,” Mignola said, nodding at the giant screen. “In between takes of the movie, we [Del Toro and Mignola] talked about Hellboy and where we would want to take him and it was always Japan, that’s something we didn’t do in the comics.”

The animated project came alive largely thanks to Del Toro’s support, Stones said.

“Guillermo, from day one on his movie, was pushing for an animated version, he really pushed and pushed and kept the idea alive,” Stones said.

Stones is a huge Hellboy fan and even pitched the idea originally to Disney, when he was working on animation at that studio.

“I would have loved to be in that room,” Mignola quipped.

Every incarnation of Hellboy should look different, have a different take on the character and his world, Mignola said.

Stones rolled a presentation of artwork submissions the production team got from a bevy of artists, and showed early representations of the Hellboy imaginings from the relative unknown they eventually hired for the gig — Galloway. Stones said they plan on putting these art samples in a gallery on the DVD release.

“I wanted something that felt modern, my daughter watches a lot of Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon and I wanted it to have that bounce to it like shows on those networks have. Shaun’s stuff really pushed that,” Mignola said.

The creators put Galloway through the ringer on the job, Stones said. “But it was fun watching these guys [Mignola and Galloway] with such different styles working side-by-side.”

Galloway said he thought he was getting spam email when he first got a note from producers. He was too broke to go out and buy copies of books with Hellboy art so he sat in Borders trying to spin off Mignola’s work in his own style.

Soon he found himself immersed in Hellboy, constantly tweaking his designs and arduously creating different angles and poses of the characters.

“Before this I had never drawn one character more than five times in my life,” he said.

The most changed character in the animated version is sidekick Liz — she’s a deceptively tiny little thing in the animated movie.

A lot of that came from Del Toro.

“Well the main idea was that I like short girls — I married one,” Del Toro joked. “I thought that that for Hellboy a short girl is very cute and very interesting to have this physically smaller character with great power … the idea is that a pretty strong set of balls comes in small packages.”

Hellboy and animation did not compute for some people, Stones said.

“We had a lot of people going ‘Hellboy? In a cartoon? Really? Are you going to have to change the name?’” Stones said. “No, these movies are not written for kids, although kids around 9 or so will get it.”

Ron Perlman, who played the titular character in Del Toro’s film, signed on for voice-talent duty.

“It was great we had Ron, he’s so invested, such a fan of the character, sometimes he would say ‘well Hellboy wouldn’t do this,’” Mignola said. “But I was constantly included — and maybe that’s why they wanted me around so much — because I was the only one who could respond to Ron and say ‘yes he would.’”

Like everything Hellboy, there’s a lot of battle, a lot of trouble and yes some hellish events in the animated movie. “We’re pushing the edges,” Stones said.

If network standards and practices makes some cuts for the TV airing, fans can rest assured they will get the uncut version on DVD, he said.

Mignola said he feels lucky that there are so many Hellboy fans in the industry who are constantly taking his original comic strip to different levels — like this version.

“It’s not the movie Hellboy, it’s not the comic … it’s sort of its own thing,” he said. “It’s recognizable, but it’s different which I think is nice, because it’s good to keep all these things separate.”
http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=2&newsid=9450
Old 07-28-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Will the second one be called "King of Clashes"?
Old 12-11-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
artwork and specs:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-animated.html

Title: Hellboy Animated (IMDb)
Starring: N/A (Animation)
Released: 6th February 2007
SRP: $19.98

Further Details:
Anchor Bay has officially announced Hellboy Animated: Sword of Storms which features the voices of Ron Perlman as Hellboy, Doug Jones, and Selma Blair. This all-new animated movie appeared on the Cartoon Network in October - and will now be available to own on the 6th February. Retail will be around $19.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include an audio commentary with Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, supervising producer/director Tad Stones, and director Phil Weinstein, A New Breed featurette on creating the new Hellboy, a Conquering Hellboy featurette on the actor's role, a Hellboy Goes East feature that takes a look at the inspirations and backstories, and a Secrets of Hellboy: Sword of Storms making of featurette. Completing the package will be a feature on how Mike Mignola created Hellboy, an analysis of the "Heads" sequence, storyboards and trailers. The first 300,000 DVD's will also include an exclusive 32 page Mike Mignola comic book.
Old 12-11-06, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this back in October on Cartoon Network and it was pretty good. It was cool that the characters voices were done by the same people who portrayed them in the live action film. I'll pick it up when its released.
Old 12-11-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was pissed when I missed it, but Im all over this realease! Cant wait!
Old 02-06-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Bestbuy Exclusive looks good!

Old 02-07-07, 12:19 AM

Looks like all releases comes with the 32 page comic inside the case.

Walmart has an exclusive 2 pack with another 80 page comic, "The Black Wedding". This was still the same price of the single dvd for me, I got mine for $14.44.
Old 02-07-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up the Best Buy edition today. It's pretty cool with the outer box containing the DVD w/ slipcase and there's three small individually wrapped figures (some assembly required) inside. Not bad for $17.

Last edited by Nth Power; 02-07-07 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-07-07, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmmm i was planning to pick up this:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/33056...s/Product.html

but now i've seen this bestbuy exclusive i think i'll get it since it looks the same of the play.com one and cheaper....but maybe the play.com one will have the 80 page comic book? ...iam confused.
Old 02-07-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it alot but it was a solid story to tell. Get DVD though, and there's hope and I would like to see more Hellboy Animated.
Old 02-07-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Anyone kind of annoyed on the Follow the Fox icon popping up while watching the DVD? I turn it off on the setup in the menu, but the icon well keep coming up on the screen. It's only come up only two times but it's kind of annoying to see the icon on the screen.
Old 02-07-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I was considering picking this up, until I saw some clips. While the story and voice acting seemed pretty solid, the actual animation looked so cheap and atrocious, that I immediately lost all interest in this. It looked on par with mid-'80s after-school cartoons - IOW, really shoddy.
Old 02-07-07, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
I was considering picking this up, until I saw some clips. While the story and voice acting seemed pretty solid, the actual animation looked so cheap and atrocious, that I immediately lost all interest in this. It looked on par with mid-'80s after-school cartoons - IOW, really shoddy.
The animation is a bit wierd but youll get used to it.

If you love some sweet animation check out the Amazing Screw on Head.....it looks almost like Mignola's comic book.
Old 02-07-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I don't mean the art or the way things are drawn, but the actual animation, the limited movement of the characters - it just looks cheap (because I assume it is cheap). It almost looks like Flash-animation.
Old 02-07-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its not Flash animation. Its pretty good I thought, very Timm-ish.
Old 02-07-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went with the best buy exclusive. I was happy to see the comic also came with the dvd/figure set.
Old 02-08-07, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had no problem at all with the animation.

Was much more interested in the VA'ing and plot.
Old 02-11-07, 08:44 PM

Theres a set on DeepDiscount with a hellboy keychain.

The Keychains not an exclusive but its cheaper than buying it seperately.