Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Directv subscribers, are you satisfied with your service?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone else thinking about dumping Directv? I've had it for about 3 years and loved it at first. But now they are behind everyone when it comes to HD. I refuse to switch to the new MPEG 4 dish because I need a dvr. And they have delayed their HD DVR again.( I currently have the HD Tivo) I really dont feel like waiting for something that will probably be inferior to Tivo.

Im thinking of switching when Tivo series 3 comes out. Is anyone else in the same boat?
Old 07-27-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Just made the jump back to Dish Network (they install today) and it was because of HD that I did so.
Old 07-27-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Im thinking of switching when Tivo series 3 comes out. Is anyone else in the same boat?
If it's a reasonable price, I'm dumping DirecTV in favor of just having the Series 3 and an antenna. Most of my TV watching comes from the antenna in HD anyway. Might as well save the monthly DirecTV expense.

Although we keep hearing whispers about it, I want the new S3 out yesterday.
Old 07-27-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I have been thinking the exact same thing. I don't have an HDTV yet, but when I do I can definitely see myself jumping ship.
Old 07-27-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I am very happy with my service, have been a subscriber for over 7 years.

I have three boxes, tivo and an hd receiver. Quality is good, price is good for the package I have.
Old 07-27-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're very happy w/ our Dtv/tivo also. HD is not that important to us. To be honest, we've seen HD and we don't get what the big deal is. Shrug.
You couldn't pay us to go back to Time Warner.
Old 07-27-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
We're very happy w/ our Dtv/tivo also. HD is not that important to us. To be honest, we've seen HD and we don't get what the big deal is. Shrug.
Same.

But then again if I'd dropped a wad of cash on something for which their isn't even a solid DVD format yet, I guess an argument could be made to drop it.
Old 07-27-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Same.

But then again if I'd dropped a wad of cash on something for which their isn't even a solid DVD format yet, I guess an argument could be made to drop it.
I totally agree with that.
But.... we HATE Time Warner so much that we would rather settle for no HD from Dtv with TIVO then the HORRIBLE customer service we got from TW.
Old 07-27-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to question the circumstances, provider and actual programming under which people who don't "get" HD have watched it. It can range in quality pretty wildly.

Try to catch an HD NFL game on a good HDTV and report back. If it's still the same "m'eh" then.....I guess I don't know what to say.
Old 07-27-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dumped them a few months ago. When our new house is done it will be either Dish or suffer with the shiitty Comcast Motorola DVRs until Tivo 3s come out. They will have CableCard support, correct?

Last edited by nevermind; 07-27-06 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
If it's still the same "m'eh" then.....I guess I don't know what to say.
I do.

it's, "Get your eyes checked."
Old 07-27-06, 08:32 AM
Suspended

I have to question the circumstances, provider and actual programming under which people who don't "get" HD have watched it. It can range in quality pretty wildly.

Try to catch an HD NFL game on a good HDTV and report back. If it's still the same "m'eh" then.....I guess I don't know what to say.
I think a lot of people just don't set up their HDTVs right, so if a person's only experience watching HD is at a friend's house who doesn't set things up right, they might not be impressed. That or they watch it at BB or CC, who have terrible viewing conditions.

Heck, the widescreen viewing is enough of a plus for me, let alone the higher quality picture.

I'm with you though RE: dumping DTV for a series 3 Tivo. Being fairly new to HD, I do watch quite a bit on HDNet and Universal HD, but I could put the money saved towards DVDs of the shows I'm watching on those. Right now I would miss HBO the most, but there are other ways of aquiring those few shows.
Old 07-27-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There are things that frustrate me about my service, but for the most part, I'm very satisfied. Sunday Ticket and the Fox Sports Pack are essential to me. Really, the only thing I don't have right now is HD DVR for CBS and NBC. I can get everything else I need and getting HD over antenna in my location requires pinpoint precision and is a real pain in the ass.

das
Old 07-27-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I love watching HD to see my widescreen filled with a nice looking image, but if I lost HD I wouldn't miss it. I watch plenty of SD and rarely think about the image quality difference (and I've calibrated my HDTV). And I'm a video producer by profession, so I do know the difference.

I'm not blown away by high-end audio either, it's just not something I think about. I've watched plenty of HD football and, while it does look better than SD, I have no problems watching things in whatever format they appear in.

Frankly, I pay more attention to the content of what I'm watching than I do the video quality. I've been extremely happy with my DirecTV service, but I dumped the HD package because I wasn't watching HD just to watch HD. I do have an antenna, and watch all the network stuff I can in HD, but I'm one of the people who isn't terribly impressed with it and really only watch my shows in HD because I can.
Old 07-27-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm happy with it. Even if I wasn't, I wouldn't switch, because I need my NFL Sunday Ticket.
Old 07-27-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, but does anybody know how this whole direct tv switchover is going to work?

I purchased the 3-line dish for my parents about 3 years ago when they got dtv so they would have the ability to go hd if they wanted. Now they are pulling this mpeg4, 5 line dish gig. Are the customers expect to pony up the money for new receivers and dishes?

They currently have the dtv/tivo. They are happy with it and not too conerned wtih hd. They get what they can over the air, but I'm concerned for myself if I want to go dtv.
Old 07-27-06, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superman07
They currently have the dtv/tivo. They are happy with it and not too conerned wtih hd. They get what they can over the air, but I'm concerned for myself if I want to go dtv.
As I understand it, they won't need a new dish unless they want HD.

For getting HD, I'm not so sure...if you just get OTA HD, I'm pretty sure you won't need it anytime soon. But if you want DTV HD, I think they may require an upgrade at some point in the future, but again I'm not sure. I do know that to get anything MPEG4, you'll need the new dish and DTV's own receivers (non-Tivo units).
Old 07-27-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All reports claim DirecTV will be doing a HD receiver swap out at "little to no money" for their customers in order to receive their mpeg4 HD channels.
Old 07-27-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I m very happy with DirecTV and my DirecTivos.

I have a HD-ready set but I have held off on upgrading to HDTV until their new DVRs are ready since I understand you can't yet get HD locals on the DVR for some reason.

To me, it is far for important to be able to watch shows on my own time via Tivo than the picture quality. If I had HD now, I would have to watch my network shows "live" in HD and I just can't go back to watching TV that way.

I am sure that once I have HD I will be a total snob and never want to go back to analog, but for now I am happy and will just patiently wait for when I can have the equipment and service I want to do everything at once.
Old 07-27-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Yes, for the most part. I love the HD-Tivo. I wish they'd struck a deal to continue using that service. The only thing I don't like is the lack of HD content (I'm patiently waiting) and the amount of HD content. I know that is going to slowly change here in the next year or so, but it just seems like a long time coming.
Old 07-27-06, 03:54 PM
Retired

I agree. It's definitely a big difference.

I can get people saying they think it looks much better but dont' care much right now as I'm pretty much in that boat. I don't watch a ton of TV, there's not a unified HD DVD format yet, and prices are still too high for me to jump in.

But when that changes I'll be jumping to HD ASAP as it looks great.
Old 07-27-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only way you take my DirecTiVos away is when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

Really. I tried the R-15 DVR for three weeks. When it failed to record the Oscars the R-15 was resigned to the bottom of my closet, and the Samsung DTiVo took back its rightful place on my entertainment center.

Give me a TiVo or give me death. There is no compromise

Last edited by NC-36; 07-27-06 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-27-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

does directv still have a partnership with tivo? I'm looking to switch from Comcast and would want an HD Tivo ( as well as the sunday ticket)
Old 07-27-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
does directv still have a partnership with tivo? I'm looking to switch from Comcast and would want an HD Tivo ( as well as the sunday ticket)
They are not manufacturing new ones, but they will still activate and support DTiVo and HD DTiVo units if you can find one. The HD DTiVo's do not support MPEG4, though.

This guy still has some -

http://www.weaknees.com/
Old 07-27-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
No. Comcast has the partnership with TIVO now. You should see Comcast-HDTIVO boxes rolling out late this year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.