Reload this Page >

New Gamestop / EB pricing: 3 for $10/$20/$30

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 07-25-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local EB manager first told me about this, but since he tends to have his head up his ass I went to the GS down the road to confirm. At the GS, they already had the signage out, so this is official:

$5.99 DVD's are 3 for $10

$9.99 DVD's are 3 for $20

$12.99 DVD's are 3 for $30 (unlike the other 2, a worse deal than B2G1F)

What I don't know at this time:

1. If this is a new pricing system or if it's a limited time sale

2. If they are adjusting all DVD's (excluding box sets, of course) to fit into one of those 3 price ranges.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 07-26-06 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-26-06, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
My local EB manager first told me about this, but since he tends to have his head up his ass I went to the GS down the road to confirm. At the GS, they already had the signage out, so this is official:

$5.99 DVD's are 3 for $10

$9.99 DVD's are 3 for $20

$12.99 DVD's are 3 for $30 (unlike the other 2, a worse deal than B2G1F)

What I don't know at this time:

1. If this is a new pricing system or if it's a limited time sale

2. If they are adjusting all DVD's (excluding box sets, of course) to fit into one of those 3 price ranges.
the gamestop i was in had a manager instructing his employee to "retag all the dvds" because of the sale. i'm betting that they are makng them all fit into one of those price schemes.

i wonder if that means the end of a buy 2 get 1 deal there? i sure hope not. that has saved me a lot of money in the past
Old 07-26-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think B2G1F will continue, probably advertised as a sale specifically on the higher priced items or something. Their box sets are so horribly overpriced that B2G1F is the only way they can get rid of some of these things. All my local GS / EB stores are sitting on assloads of the new X-Files sets, Star Trek TNG and DS9 1-5, Sopranos, Deadwoods, and many more.
Old 07-26-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dropped by mine today for the first time in over a month and I absolutely cleaned up:

3-for-$10:

- Meatballs (OOP)
- Samurai 7 Vol. 6
- Butterfly Effect (for my brother)

I did the 3-for-$20 deal, too, but all on discs I've been wanting, but aren't necessarily great deals:

- Punch-Drunk Love (2-Disc)
- Closer (Superbit)
- Hollywood Endings

While I was waiting for the clerk to round up all the discs, I noticed a stack of DVDs he was in the process of pricing. Admist the stack was a ton of animated Disney DVDs. Thinking on my feet, I asked him to hold a few so I could run home and grab the B2G1 Free coupon from an old Game Informer.

For some $21 and change, I snatched:

- Peter Pan (OOP SE)
- Cinderalla 2
- Little Mermaid 2

They also had the second animated Peter Pan, in addition to Fantasia 2000 and the original Fantasia, but I passed.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the haul, as I've got some flicks I've been meaning to get and quite a few discs that should fetch a fair profit on eBay.

And for what it's worth, they've still got a lot of titles priced at $7.99 and $14.99, so I'm not sure how those would work into the deal, if at all. They're in need of another B2G1 Free sale, though; the shelves are overflowing with DVDs, namely the higher-end box sets.
Old 07-26-06, 08:00 PM

I wish my local EB was doing all of these specials. I checked today and there was only signage for the 3/$10 but I saw quite a few movies that I wanted to get that were $9.99.
Old 07-26-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
aspects - Ask them about. Tell them another store is doing it. That's what I did. They checked their sale info and sure enough they were suppose to be doing it but hadn't started yet.
Old 07-26-06, 10:26 PM

Thanks bigjim, I was thinking about doing that. I won't say what the DVDs were just so I won't jinx getting them.

Now that I am reading the thread again I wish they were doing a B2G1F deal since they had two seasons of Angel I could have gotten along with a random Star Trek season.
Old 07-26-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aspects
I wish my local EB was doing all of these specials. I checked today and there was only signage for the 3/$10 but I saw quite a few movies that I wanted to get that were $9.99.
Typical EB / GS management, probably. I stopped by the local EB on the way home, and asked the assistant manager if he knew if this was a permanent thing or a temporary sale. He didn't even know about the new prices, the manager never told him.
Old 07-27-06, 01:48 AM
Banned

For some $21 and change, I snatched:

- Peter Pan (OOP SE)
- Cinderalla 2
- Little Mermaid 2
That's about all they're worth honestly. Even on eBay, when they actually sell, it's for about $7 a piece, if that. I stopped buying Disney movies for reselling a long, long time ago. The only one of moderate interest seems to be "Sleeping Beauty".
Old 07-27-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
That's about all they're worth honestly. Even on eBay, when they actually sell, it's for about $7 a piece, if that. I stopped buying Disney movies for reselling a long, long time ago. The only one of moderate interest seems to be "Sleeping Beauty".
Maybe if they're bootlegs. I had no trouble selling another copy of Cinderella 2 for $25 a couple months ago. Completed searches show all three of these are still capable of pulling down at least that much.

I got a bit nervous initially because of so many completed searches showing low prices. But actually checking those auctions out revealed they were from other countries and clearly not the real deal. It's a different story when you've got the authentic thing.
Old 07-27-06, 05:39 PM

Well I did not get to ask the employees at EB because the dvds were gone today.

The dvds I wanted were quite a few Bond movies but I was going to get them as a gift so I needed to know which ones he had. Oh well.
Old 07-27-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I probably would've just bought them. "Worst case scenario" is he has them and you sell them off for a nice profit.
Old 07-27-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I probably would've just bought them. "Worst case scenario" is he has them and you sell them off for a nice profit.
Or you just return them. Moral of the story - never pass up on OOP DVD's. :-)
Old 07-28-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

checked a couple stores yesterday, and I was told that there is no end date to this sale, and it might very well be permanent.

I was also told that all the prices (with the exception of box sets, of course) were adjusted to fit the new $5.99 / $9.99 / $12.99 structure. That's a good indicator that this is a permanent sale. The bad part of this is that movies were raised in price to make them fit. So if something was selling for $7.99, it was boosted to $9.99. If you're looking to make a purchase, make sure you know the price of buying a movie new vs. the used price at GameStop / EB, because now it might only be a dollar or so in difference.