Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 Thread Part II.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this was intresting, UBISoft announced details for Blazing Angels on PS3 as a launch title. Heres the link.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/725/7258...0&RSSid=725885

Now, i couldnt give a crap about this game, however... Note the functionality of the tilt sensing controller right out of the gate. And, the more surprising, 16-player online already included at launch. Could this mean sony actually as their act together for online play? It would literally surprise the heck out of me, as im insanely impressed with Xbox Live, but this could be another good news strike torwards sony going for the good stuff.
Old 08-16-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is it surprising that they've got 16 players online? It's not outside what can be done now on the PS2.
Old 08-16-06, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Why is it surprising that they've got 16 players online? It's not outside what can be done now on the PS2.
After trying PS2s online, i am severly underwhelmed. I hope this time they do it right, since live is so amazing. I think i can speak for a lot of people out there that theres concerns of the online for ps3 even being decent, this at least is a good start.
Old 08-16-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have a lot of hope for the PS3 live just because I don't believe you get a quality product for nothing. But as a result, they could really do some wonders by having an even average product.

I also hope the "tilt" feature isn't some gimmick, because it sounds like it is. I tend to see Nintendo as doing a great job (that I don't really care for ) with gimmick products, but the others tend to fail. Though I think the PS2 eyetoy was done well for what it was. Not my thing, but it did better than I expected.
Old 08-16-06, 06:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The tilt feature is Sony's pathetic attempt to blow off Immersion. I hope Sony gets an avalanche of complaints about it.
Old 08-17-06, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The tilt feature is Sony's pathetic attempt to blow off Immersion. I hope Sony gets an avalanche of complaints about it.

You sure are chugging a lot of Haterade regarding Sony and the PS3. Did they kill your dog or something? We get it, you don't like the PS3. Everyone already knows why vibration was dropped. Why keep filling up this thread with useless posts like this? I don't want a 360. Therefore, I don't post in the 360 thread. If you don't have anything useful to add to the discussion, why post at all?

Last edited by collven; 08-17-06 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-17-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by collven
You sure are chugging a lot of Haterade regarding Sony and the PS3. Did they kill your dog or something? We get it, you don't like the PS3. Everyone already knows why vibration was dropped. Why keep filling up this thread with useless posts like this? I don't want a 360. Therefore, I don't post in the 360 thread. If you don't have anything useful to add to the discussion, why post at all?

I didn't even realize that the vibration was totally dropped. How did Sony lose a lawsuit for vibration when every single controller. first and third party, have this feature? Why were the others not sued too?
Old 08-17-06, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
I didn't even realize that the vibration was totally dropped. How did Sony lose a lawsuit for vibration when every single controller. first and third party, have this feature? Why were the others not sued too?
Nintendo developed their own method for vibration.
Microsoft and 3rd party companies licensed the tech from the company that successfully sued Sony.
Old 08-17-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Originally Posted by keyed
Nintendo developed their own method for vibration.
Microsoft and 3rd party companies licensed the tech from the company that successfully sued Sony.
Actually Microsoft was sued too but they settled out of court. They now license the technology to continue using it.
Old 08-17-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, so MS and Sony just stole this idea? Or was it just a patent issue where Sony really made it originally but this company had a vague patent on it?

As for MS. I thought they were using a different technology in the 360 for vibration. In the xbox controllers the vibration was too high, now in the 360 I find it is barely there sometimes. Seems like they changed the way it works or something.
Old 08-17-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

F.E.A.R coming to PS3 -

Sierra Entertainment, a division of Vivendi Games, today announced that the award-winning F.E.A.R.™ (First Encounter Assault Recon), is currently in development for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and is scheduled to launch during November 2006.

Already a critical and commercial smash on the PC, F.E.A.R. will bring a new level of FPS game play to PlayStation 3 with exclusive single player content designed to immerse the player deeper in the world of the F.E.A.R. team, as well as the visceral action of F.EA.R. multi-player.

Developed by Day 1 Studios in conjunction with Monolith Productions, F.E.A.R is a paranormal action thriller presented entirely in first person. An unprecedented adrenaline rush of close quarters combat seamlessly melded with the spine-tingling, shocking intensity of the paranormal unknown.

To get more information on F.E.A.R. please visit www.whatisfear.com.

F.E.A.R. will ship for PlayStation 3 during November 2006.
Old 08-17-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
Ah, so MS and Sony just stole this idea? Or was it just a patent issue where Sony really made it originally but this company had a vague patent on it?

As for MS. I thought they were using a different technology in the 360 for vibration. In the xbox controllers the vibration was too high, now in the 360 I find it is barely there sometimes. Seems like they changed the way it works or something.
Nintendo had vibration before Sony did. Just sayin'.
Old 08-17-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This looks like it has potential to be a pissing match...let's drop the "We have's, you have's" sooner than later OK?
Old 08-17-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
This looks like it has potential to be a pissing match...let's drop the "We have's, you have's" sooner than later OK?
Just hope it doesn't become a Wii have's, you have's. I kid i kid.
Old 08-17-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
Just hope it doesn't become a Wii have's, you have's. I kid i kid.
Thats just classic. My take on the ps3 is that its a new cool and shiny piece of tech but its way too much for the average person. Ill get one probably at the end if its life cycle.
Old 08-17-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a site with a bunch of pictures showing size comparisons between all the consoles.

http://wiimodels.wordpress.com/2006/...-360-and-more/
Old 08-17-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
F.E.A.R. will ship for PlayStation 3 during November 2006.
Hopefully it isn't like the Blue Ray deal where they ship the movies but have nothing to play them on.
Old 08-17-06, 09:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
F.E.A.R. is coming in November on the PS3? Last I heard it wasn't going to be on the 360 until 2007, I wonder why there's such a big difference.
Old 08-21-06, 01:36 PM
Retired

From www.1up.com:

PS3 Not in Production Yet
PS1 games on PSP to be available this year, too.

by 1UP Staff, 08/21/2006

Over the weekend, the Internet flared over a GameSpot interview with Sony Computer Entertainment America president Kaz Hirai. We haven't heard much from Sony executives since E3, and Hirai managed cleared several controversial subjects surrounding PlayStation 3 and Sony's others plans for 2006 and beyond.
Instead of making this all flowery, let's get to the point: what did Hirai have to say?

PS3 is not yet in production. "We've not announced and we haven't set really a specific date to say, "As of this day we're going to start manufacturing," he says.
Launch titles for PS3 have not yet been determined, and don't expect confirmation until about a month before launch.
PS3 will be online on day one, and multimedia content will not be limited to Sony-released music, movies, etc.
PSP's download service is still in development. A release date, however, is TBA.
Sony plans to release the first batch of emulated PlayStation games for PSP this year and very close to PS3's launch, if they can manage it.
No redesign or price drop is currently on Sony's agenda (publically, at least).
Hirai spins the disastrous UMD situation. "If there are advantages, or for the motion picture companies to take advantage of UMD to deliver their content or music companies to deliver their content on UMDs, that's great," he says.
Can Sony really maintain its E3 promise of two million units worldwide for the November launch?
Old 08-21-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PS3 Interface Video
Old 08-21-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Will they be able to launch this year if the PS3 still isn't in production? I thought consoles went into production mid year to be available full scale for the end of the year, but maybe I am exaggerating the necessary lead time.

I thought there had already been reports that the PS3 was in production.
Old 08-21-06, 03:33 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no. way.

that looks embarassingly like Windows MCE
Old 08-21-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That minimalist approach works well for menus on a portable like the PSP, when there's not much screen space. On a console, it just looks a little too sparse. Still, at least it's simple and uncluttered - which is more than you can say for the 360's dashboard.
Old 08-21-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually it's just a beefed up PSP interface. Not that its a bad thing.
Old 08-21-06, 03:59 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh ive never seen a psp

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.