Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Christina Aguilera "Back To Basics" ---> 8/15/06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - I'm not really a fan of her (or teen pop / dance / dirrrrrrty slut / top 40 style of music) , don't have any albums, etc. But I have become kinda smitten by her new "old" look, and I finally watched her "Ain't No Other Man" video today. And I thought it was pretty damn catchy and somewhat unique. Especially after seeing the crap that followed it (Tivo recorded the VH-1 Top 20 Countdown).

Anyways, I just found this article on Yahoo

Here's a few pieces from the article I found interesting. Sounds worth checking out when it's released.

With the new two-CD, 22-song set, executive-produced and co-written by Aguilera, her aim is no less ambitious than to pay homage to her musical heroes while inventing something completely new. The first disc, primarily produced by DJ Premier, combines old-song sensibilities with hip-hop elements, samples and modern technology.

Disc two, produced by Linda Perry (with whom Aguilera most famously collaborated on "Beautiful"), features all live instrumentation with no samples: Old-timey sounds were captured using vintage microphones sometimes covered with cloth to get a muffled effect.

Aguilera solicited producers for the album via a letter explaining her vision. Also enclosed was a compilation of more than 30 songs spanning the '20s through the '60s that had influenced her, including contributions from Otis Redding, Millie Jackson, Ray Charles, Nina Simone, Eartha Kitt and even Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

"I sent (the letter) out to producers that I thought might be able to get into this world with me," she says. "I wanted to get obscure pieces of music and get people who would really, really use their imaginations in creating something new. I didn't want any covers." She encouraged producers to take the songs on the CD and "chop things up, feel free to experiment."

In February, Aguilera called a Los Angeles meeting with her team at RCA to play portions of her record and to express her desires for "Back to Basics."

"I said, 'I want to be very hands-on in all the meetings that we take and the decision-making, because I'm very specific in my vision of this record,"' she recalls. "I wanted to start putting (the music) in their heads so they had time to brainstorm." She stressed a continuity that would run through all facets of the project from the songs, imaging, videos and touring that would combine the music with visuals that were a "throwback to old Hollywood glam, that kind of old, retro, pinup style of sexuality."
Aguilera plans to kick-start the album by playing a limited number of intimate U.S. jazz clubs, followed by a European tour that will include private showcases in London and Paris. A full-scale U.S. tour will start next year.
Old 07-24-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm hardly a fan of hers, either (really not a fan of the "oversinging" - thanks, Whitney!), but I am totally smitten with "Ain't No Other Man". The fact that DJ Premiere is producing the bulk of the first disc has me intrigued, as he's one of my favorite hip-hop producers. I'll have to hear some more tracks before I decide whether or not to buy the album, though.

I'm sure I run the risk of contracting VD just by looking at her pictures, but her new image provides for some great eye candy.
Old 08-12-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Her album's streaming on MTV's The Leak. I'm actually kind of digging it.
Old 08-12-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been waiting for this. Gonna pick it up on Tuesday.
Old 08-12-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This is my surprise album of the year thus far. Never been a fan of hers and I'm not crazy about modern day Top40 music, but I have listened to an mp3 copy of this a few times and liked it quite a bit. I'll definitely be picking up a copy on Tuesday.
Old 08-22-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I bought this as a guilty pleasure and am really enjoying about 75 percent of it. How's everyone else feeling about it?
Old 08-22-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
I bought this as a guilty pleasure and am really enjoying about 75 percent of it. How's everyone else feeling about it?
Old 08-22-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like it. The second disc on it's own would be a pretty damn solid album and might even of cracked my top 10 of the year. The first disc aint bad at all, but it just doesn't grab me like the older styled material. I'm sure many will feel this set is overstuffed, but the way it's presented, disc 1 & disc 2 are pretty much seperate albums. It might be a bit much to listen to in one sitting, but I don't feel either disc sounds too long or padded when played on it's own.

On a side note, this CD has to have the glossiest booklet I have ever seen, It almost looks like laminated plastic.
Old 08-22-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm enjoying it, although like pretty much most double albums, it could've been whittled down to one disc. A really good one, I might add. And I tend to agree with other critics' gripes - some lyrics are pretty self-centered ("Dedication" is laughable), for all her talk she doesn't come close to the artists she's "honoring", etc.

"Save Me From Myself" is quite a revelation. I wish she'd do a whole album without all of the over-singing.

What's the deal between her and Scott Storch? I don't really follow Aguilera's career and based on "F.U.S.S." it seems they had a falling out (to put it lightly).

Last edited by DJLinus; 08-22-06 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am a big fan of both Christina and classic vocalists, but I need to give this a few more listens. I bought it because I wanted to support her efforts and career. There are very few singers I would support in that way.

I would have enjoyed an album of her actually covering classics, but I really admire her taking the risk of putting out an album like this instead of following the trends like many of the "singers" with which she is (incorrectly) associated.
Old 08-25-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bugg
On a side note, this CD has to have the glossiest booklet I have ever seen, It almost looks like laminated plastic.
I would make a masturbation/easy clean-up joke, but I shall refrain.
Old 09-18-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anybody tell me where that whistling line at the end of "Welcome" is from? It sounds familiar. It sounds like something from Fiddler on the Roof or something similar... Anybody? Or is it original?
-ringding-
Old 09-20-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Of all the teeny bopper music of the late 90s, I have always been a fan of hers because she is only one who can really sing. I still hope to pick this one up eventually?