Reload this Page >

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Slimpack Reissues

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-20-06, 04:23 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading part of a thread on this forum, a week or two ago, regarding Buffy being re-issued quietly, but I haven't been able to find it in my search of this forum. It must've been deleted. Anyways, my question is in regard to the content. Are these re-issues like the X-Files ones, where they've decided to not include bonus features or an extra disc?

The reason I'm asking is that I need the last two Seasons. Actually, I now only need Season 6, because I broke down and bought the re-issued slimpack of Season 7 today. I haven't opened it yet, because I'd still like to find the digipacks. I'm one of those people who likes everything to be the same, when it comes to DVDs, so I don't want to have 5 of the digipacks and 2 of the slimpacks. It's annoying, especially if you do lose features.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is one difference on all the Buffy DVD releases - packaging. Nothing more.

The content of the discs are exactly the same for every release.
Old 07-20-06, 04:36 PM

Will they EVER release "OMWF" anamorphically?
Old 07-20-06, 04:37 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
There is one difference on all the Buffy DVD releases - packaging. Nothing more.

The content of the discs are exactly the same for every release.
That's good to hear. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-20-06, 04:43 PM

It's funny - here in Canada (don't know about the U.S.) the sllm sets are a lot cheaper, but if you find the older digipaks in the same store, they will be the original price when they came out, so a digipak would be $60 or more, while its silmmer rerelease is only $25-$35...so it's as though the bigger the package, the more it costs, even if they both contain the same DVDs inside.
Old 07-20-06, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Would Fox pass up the opportunity to sell yet another Buffy related DVD?

Hardly.

They would find some scam, I mean way, to release something like this on its own. Perhaps with a songbook or something.
Old 07-20-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
If you are region-free, you can pick up the single episode release from the UK which is anamorphic. It's only around $10. I picked it up a few years ago and its definitely worth it. Amazon UK normally has it. The UK Buffy releases are pretty much all in anamorphic widescreen for the later seasons, and I'm hoping the US gets a similar release someday.

Pure speculation, but once HD-DVD or Blu-Ray picks up steam, I'd imagine Fox will use Buffy/Angel as one of their first HD TV titles since it was one of their most popular TV on DVD titles, along with The X-Files, Family Guy and The Simpsons.
Old 07-20-06, 04:50 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I live in Ontario and I've noticed the same thing as you have. At Sunrise Records, they had Season 6 in the old digipack packaging (this was today, when I asked about them.) It was $75.99, but with a 20% discount. It's way too expensive. I paid a little more for the slimpack reissues than I wanted to -
they were $30 at Future Shop/Best Buy, but I also had to go to Toys 'R Us, so I figured they'd maybe have the digipacks. They didn't and only had Season 7. I bought it there, because I didn't feel like going back to Future Shop or Best Buy. I ended up paying $34.99, which still isn't bad at all.

If the content is the same, I'm not too worried. I'm a completist, but I'll have to overlook this. I'm saving money and I prefer this packaging over the digipacks, to be completely honest. If it was the X-Files we were talking about here, I wouldn't be able to settle for this because it's my second favourite show - not to mention, they cut stuff in the transition from digipacks to slimpacks. (That's why I was worried about these sets.) I think I'll probably just buy the slimpack of Season 6 as well.
Old 07-20-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I replaced all 7 seasons with e slimpacks and they were only $25 each at HMV.And like i mentioned many times in previous thread on this there is no difference cept for the packaging and i wouldnt have done it if someone hadnt "borrowed" my season 4 and i had to replace it but nonetheless im happy as long as i have the complete set since its my most watched of all my dvds
Old 07-20-06, 07:33 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I've been thinking about selling my digipacks and re-buying the slimpacks, althoguh I doubt I'd get too much money for the older sets. Think it'd be a worthy investment? If I have to pay more than $8 or so per slimpack, after selling everything, it's not worth it.
Old 07-20-06, 07:40 PM

What are the odds, three of us in Ontario?
Old 07-20-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's funny - here in Canada (don't know about the U.S.) the sllm sets are a lot cheaper, but if you find the older digipaks in the same store, they will be the original price when they came out, so a digipak would be $60 or more, while its silmmer rerelease is only $25-$35...so it's as though the bigger the package, the more it costs, even if they both contain the same DVDs inside.

It's the same here in the US, too, depending on which store you get them at.
Old 07-21-06, 12:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Why didn't any of you get the Chosen Collection when it was available? It was like $15 on average a season.
Old 07-21-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
If you are region-free, you can pick up the single episode release from the UK which is anamorphic.... The UK Buffy releases are pretty much all in anamorphic widescreen for the later seasons, and I'm hoping the US gets a similar release someday.
Are you hoping for just that episode being released anamorphically in the US, or the entire series? Because if it's the former, that possible. However, if it's the latter, that's not likely because creator Joss Whedon has said that 4:3 is the preferred aspect ratio for the show, with OMWF being the exception.
Old 07-21-06, 11:04 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Why didn't any of you get the Chosen Collection when it was available? It was like $15 on average a season.
I bought the Friends: The One With All Ten Seasons set when it came out, due to the fact that I only had four of the seasons and I could easily sell them. The set was too nice to pass up. I wanted to get the Chosen Collection; however, I didn't know if it was worth it for me, due to the fact that I already had five out of seven of the seasons on DVD. But, once it became OOP and I saw that my local Blockbuster had it behind the counter, I started to get interested. I asked around about selling my sets, but the most I'd get was about $20-25 per set, so I'd still need to pay something like $120 for it. That wasn't bad, but I had spent all of my paycheque, and I had stuff I needed to do with my next one. I ended up deciding not to worry about it.

Last edited by Wick; 07-21-06 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-21-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I've been thinking about selling my digipacks and re-buying the slimpacks, althoguh I doubt I'd get too much money for the older sets. Think it'd be a worthy investment? If I have to pay more than $8 or so per slimpack, after selling everything, it's not worth it.
Why would you want to get rid of the first editions in favor of cheap, budget reissues? I'm sure a paperback copy of 'Ulysses' takes up less space than a first edition hardcopy edition, but it's one heck of a lot less valuable.

If I hadn't picked up all the 'Buffy' sets the hour of their release, I'd at this point be willing to pay twice as much for the digipak editions just so I had the originals rather than go for the cheap slimline third editions. (Plus, at least the original editions were the US copies; the slimline ones here have covers and spines half in French/half in English that look truly crappy.)
Old 07-21-06, 12:19 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I want to so that all of my sets look the same. It's a bit difficult to find the digipacks around here, but I'm going to keep looking before I decide to keep the slimpack I bought (and before I decide to buy Season 6 in a slimpack.) Just an idea...I don't mind the French and I like the slimpacks, because it's more convenient to take the discs out in their slim jewel cases.
Old 07-21-06, 01:51 PM

I've stated many times how much I hate digipaks, but I hate bilingual packaging even more. That said, I love the convience and most of all, SAFETY that thinpaks offer.
Old 07-21-06, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by wergo
If I hadn't picked up all the 'Buffy' sets the hour of their release, I'd at this point be willing to pay twice as much for the digipak editions just so I had the originals rather than go for the cheap slimline third editions.
Considering the fact that the discs are all the same for every release, buying them at premium prices based entirely on the packaging....whatever floats your boat, man. I'm certainly not aboard with that.
Old 07-21-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
A few months ago I was able to sell all my original season releases for $30+ a piece (except S1 which only sold for $18). That more than paid for my Chosen Collection with which I gladly replaced them - they took up WAY too much space!
Old 07-21-06, 04:28 PM

The potential problem with selling the originals is that there are so many places with used box sets that they won't always take them, since they haven't sold the ones they have.
Old 07-21-06, 05:04 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The potential problem with selling the originals is that there are so many places with used box sets that they won't always take them, since they haven't sold the ones they have.
Yeah; I've run into that problem a lot over the years. They always have a lot of them, so they have no interest in what you're trying to sell them, or they'll give you a shitty price for them. Sometimes I hate the second-hand market; the only thing that's good about it is finding a rare good deal.
Old 07-22-06, 06:58 AM

I found out about the Chosen Collection after i had finished buying all the seasons. I ended up selling my sets on ebay as a complete series together all were still sealed expect for the used copy of Buffy 2 that i brought. Got more then enough to pay for the chosen collection which i got at the ddd sale in november.
Old 07-28-06, 05:02 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I ended up buying the Chosen Collection today, due to the fact that Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy, but we have both) has it on sale for half price. It's $139.99 Canadian, instead of $256. Damn, it's hard to find one in perfect condition. I had to settle with a slightly dented one (small dents that aren't that easy to see.)

Now, I'm selling my copies of the first five seasons in the DVD Exchange forum.
Old 07-28-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just saw that in the Future Shop flyer.Wow,nice price although i dont think i will sell my slim packs and replace them since i had just replaced my original sets.Im not that insane,or am i ?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.