Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deepdiscount and shipping times

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this seems redundant, but I was curious if shipping should take as long as it has for me.
A friend of mine has been using DDD for years, so they had a title I wanted for a good price, so I decided to give them a shot. I ordered the disk and it shipped two days later using media mail. I didn't want to upgrade because the total cost of the DVD was barely $12, and I didn't want to pay expeditied shipping as this was about half the cost of the DVD.
Anyway, I live maybe 50 miles away and it shipped two weeks ago.
I hope they'll issue a refund if worse comes to worse, but what is the standard delivery time (not what it says on their site) it has taken for your orders. Is this normal for media mail?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-19-06, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Media Mail can be unpredictable but two weeks is pushing it seeing as you live so close.
Old 07-19-06, 04:54 PM
Suspended

I have seen the worst of all types of shipping, Media Mail is by far the most un-reliable method there is. When I do business with Deep Discount Dvd I always pays the extra and upgrade shipping to 2 day delivery. They send you a UPS tracking number and you watch your dvds every step of the delivery. The USPS really hates media mail and they don't care how or when it is delivered. I have been critical with DDD in the past, but when it comes to media mail you don't know what you are getting...
Old 07-19-06, 05:39 PM

Media mail is unreliabel for sure, but somehow it always seems even more unreliable when DDD is involved. At least for me anyway.
Old 07-20-06, 08:21 AM

Thanks all for your input. USPS is always unreliable, but I called the USPS's 800 number, and they said regardless if I was that close, it could take 22 days. If it doesn't arrive they can do a "trace' (which will go nowhere). I'll call DDD directly and request a refund.
I know this isn't DDD's fault but I probably won't try them again, I'll stick with Amazon who I never had an issue with.
I did a search for media mail, and found one forum where an ex-postal employee said; even though USPS's official stance is it takes as long as first class mail, but it doesn't. If there is no room on the truck, etc. it gets held back for whenever there is room to deliver it. I gues media mail is on the bottom rung for priority.
Again, thanks for the input. I'm guessing I won't get at this point, and have to request a refund soon.
Old 07-20-06, 07:38 PM

I live in a state neighboring Illinois (DDD), and so far my experience has been that single DVDs shipped medial mail take a long time. Everytime I order a single DVD, it takes 2 to 2+ weeks. If I order a box set or several DVDs medial mail, they will often get here within 5-7 days. Not sure why those tiny boxes take forever, but they do.
Old 07-20-06, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Everytime I ordered from DDD or Amazon, the shipping time was about the same (Amazon was a little faster, but it shouldn't take as long as media mail)
Old 07-21-06, 12:21 AM

Why do you want a refund? If you wanted the DVD and it hasn't arrived, call their CSR and tell them you haven't received the DVD yet. I only do media mail because I don't want to pay the extra for the shipping. I've had orders that took over a month to arrive, but since shipping is free, it's something I accept.
Old 07-21-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Media mail is unreliabel for sure, but somehow it always seems even more unreliable when DDD is involved. At least for me anyway.
exactly. I'm surprised you didnt have Dr. calamari and his band of DDD Nazi's call you a liar and make you swear to never order from DDD again because what you said simply cannot be true.

I just had something sent media mail from NJ last week, got it in 4 days. Amazon 1-2 days free shippping. DDD will always be at least 3 weeks. DDCD is even worse somehow. No idea why, but it's ALWAYS the case with these two, so i completely stopped using The DeepDiscount sites, and I order $100 a week on DVDs/CDs miminum, sometimes 2-3 times that, but they don't give a sh!t.
Old 07-21-06, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
exactly. I'm surprised you didnt have Dr. calamari and his band of DDD Nazi's call you a liar and make you swear to never order from DDD again because what you said simply cannot be true.

I just had something sent media mail from NJ last week, got it in 4 days. Amazon 1-2 days free shippping. DDD will always be at least 3 weeks. DDCD is even worse somehow. No idea why, but it's ALWAYS the case with these two, so i completely stopped using The DeepDiscount sites, and I order $100 a week on DVDs/CDs miminum, sometimes 2-3 times that, but they don't give a sh!t.
Again, thanks all, from what I'm hearing, I guess Amazon (who I've never had issues with) is the site I'm going to stick to. I don't purchase many DVDs, my friend does, so he uses DDD. It kind of sours your first experience with a retailer when things don't work out. Maybe I'll be lucky, and the DVD will eventually show up, but over 2 weeks and only 50 miles away, I kind of think that's kind of dreaming at this point.
Reagrding the above quote, DDD said I shouldn't have an issue with a refund, I hope this is true and it's not like pulling teeth.
I had headphones shipped USPS from across country by Amazon. Shipped on a Tuesday, got them on a Friday. I'm just wondering if DDD emails you and says they shipped the DVD on July 5 (as an example), I wonder if it really went out on that date, oh well.