Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Only fools and horses- season 7 coming 10/7

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-06, 01:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only fools and horses- season 7 coming 10/10

If you have not had the chance to see Only fools and horses in the US
Now is your chance to catch up on the 1st 6 seasons as season 7 comes to DVD on 10/10.

A British co-worker told me about OFAH a few years back and I started to rent them on line seasons 1-6 (Available Region 1)

The show is funny, smart, and just like most british comedies you are usually surprised how the episode turns out.That is why it is voted as UK's #1 comedy

For the life of me I do not know why BBC America has not aired this show.

Last edited by brtcmfn; 07-19-06 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved this show growing up. The later seasons are weak compared to the early stuff but still good fun. the first 5 seasons are my fav. most of the grown up damian stuff i could have lived without.
Old 07-17-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I sort of liked this when i was a kid...but in recent years have appreciated it a lot more. I got the series 1-3 box set a while ago and loved those...especially the card shark episode against Boyce. I still need to catch up on the other seasons...but i agree that the later it went on the worse it became. But still classic stuff.
Old 07-17-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I have heard of this show, but know little about it even though I have watched many, many other BBC series. With so many seasons available, this is a pretty big investment to go in blind. What other BBC (or even US shows) could this be compared to?
Old 07-17-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a huge Britcom fan, and have seen all seven seasons of OFAH, but it isn't all that great of a show, IMO. The characters do grow on you and become like part of the family, and the overall arc is nice in that you get to see these folks develop, but the individual episodes are rarely funny in a laugh out loud way. Seeing as how it was rated as the UK's #1 comedy of all time, I kept waiting for the big laughs to come and never got them. Still, the fact that I kept watching seven seasons worth (over the course of a year or so) must mean that I enjoyed it on some level.
Old 07-18-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well for me it is a good comedy...but not as good as all the reviews seem to make it out to be. There are a number of Brit Coms that are far superior (Blackadder comes to mind straight away) in every way. OFAH is good, but it has dated some what, and as i grew up with the show i can be more forgiving. I think that American audiences would find it harder to watch. I do still recommend it, but i also understand that its expensive to fork out for the DVDs when you don't really have an idea what you are buying into. My suggesstion is to buy the series 4 and 5 box set and if you don't ike them then i will buy the DVDs off you.....
Old 07-18-06, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I have heard of this show, but know little about it even though I have watched many, many other BBC series. With so many seasons available, this is a pretty big investment to go in blind. What other BBC (or even US shows) could this be compared to?
If you are not sure if you want to make the investment on a blind buy- Rent them on line 1st- It will be cheaper to purchase the full 7 seasons and if you don't like them you can just return them
Old 07-19-06, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the life of me I do not know why BBC America has not aired this show.
They did, but several years ago (I think when the channel first started out).

It's a shame, really that none of the various OF&H retail releases across the world are truly uncut/untampered with. From discussions I've seen, there are trims/edits/music replacments all over the place and video quality/compression issues, and some of the cuts vary region-to-region.

The only truly uncut releases are what they call "partwork" ones that are only available (by subscription) in the UK. I think it's a DVD + magazine each month or something like that. More expensive than the retail sets for sure, but from all reports, at least untampered with.
Old 07-19-06, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
They did, but several years ago (I think when the channel first started out)

Sorry- But BBCA has never aired the show- (I have had BBCA since it 1st launched and some of the early shows included One foot in the grave- but not OFAH
Old 07-19-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
October 7th is a saturday?
Old 07-19-06, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
October 7th is a saturday?

Correction: 10/10

Last edited by brtcmfn; 07-19-06 at 08:18 PM.