Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Yep! Another stupid "organizing DVD's" questiong.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to put up another shelf this weekend and i'm having trouble with the boxsets. The problem i have is what to do with with the movies in the franchises that aren't in the boxset, ie. do i put Batman Begins next to the Batman Anthology? Do i put Jason X and Freddy Vs. Jason with the Friday the 13th boxset?

Another question i have is would you put franchises with the boxsets? For example, the Harry Potter movies, would you put those 4 in boxsets or in regular movie section? Same with the Starwars?
And i have one question about TV on DVD, where would i put things like 10th Kingdom or The Stand? In TV or Movie?

Thanks, i did search for these but didn't find a suitable answer.
Old 07-11-06, 11:19 PM

This doesn't really answer your question, but it might give you another option to consider. I sort them alphabetically by director and then chronologically within each director. There is never any confusion when you do it this way.
Old 07-11-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Batman Begins after the Anthology. I have Jason X, Jason Goest to Hell, and Freddy vs. Jason in their respective alphabetical areas. I'm pretty anal about what movies go where in my collection, and not all of it makes sense. For example I have all the Universal Monster Legacy sets categorized under "monster", between Mondo Cane and Monty Python. That's OCD for ya.
Also, I used to spell out all # titles and categorize them under letters. Ex. '2001' would be like 'two thousand and one'. I did that because I worked at Best Buy when I started collecting DVDs, and that's how they displayed them. Then I worked at Blockbuster and they put all # titles at the beginning before 'A' so now I do that in my collection too.
Old 07-11-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't have a seperate shelf for box sets, unless I am displaying them (ie LOTR extended trilogy w/ box) or Ultimate Matrix Collection with Neo bust), so I put my Friday the 13th box set in with the movies. Jason Goes to Hell, Jason X, and Freddy vs. Jason go in alphabetical order.

As for made for TV miniseries, like in your case, "The Stand", they go with TV shows.
Old 07-11-06, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
This doesn't really answer your question, but it might give you another option to consider. I sort them alphabetically by director and then chronologically within each director. There is never any confusion when you do it this way.
"Hey, I can't find The Empire Strikes Back. You have the prequels and Star Wars but not Empire."

"Well duh, it's under K for Kershner. What are you, stupid?"

Old 07-11-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what do you put Superman II under?
Old 07-12-06, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Box sets go in the box sets sections. Individual movies go in individual movies section. I've never thought otherwise.
Old 07-12-06, 01:55 AM

I have jason GTH and Jason X after the boxset, i put FvJ after the nightmare boxset because I consider it a Nightmare movie more than an F13 one.

But order really doesn't matter, as long as you can find the stuff quickly and don't have to hunt through it.

TV movies go in the General Population.
Old 07-12-06, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm... I have never even considered putting the box sets in a separate location, I don't quite understand that one. If you are going to put a single disk with the box sets, why not just put the box sets with all of your other movies, that way they will be together regardless.

As for made-for-tv movies, why not just have a separate section for made-for-tv movies? I do NOT put them with the other TV shows. If I didn't have a section just for made-for-tv movies, I would put them with the regular movies (sorted by genre, of course ).
Old 07-12-06, 05:35 AM
Cool New Member

i just do almost everything alphabetically, keepcases and digipacks seperate. box sets on the top of my shelves. directors i have a lot of, ie kurosawa, hitchcock, woody allen, scorsese -- they go in a seperate section.
Old 07-12-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just put boxsets with boxsets alphabetically.
Old 07-12-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pretty much keep everything alphabetical, no sub-sections. The more sub-sections you make, the harder it is to find things. Instead of going "ok, I want to watch this movie beginning with M, let's go to the M section of the shelf," you now have to say "OK, it's an action film, where the hell are the action movies... this is comedy, there's sci-fi...."

And TV on DVD gets even worse. Monty Python - so now I have to have 2 different areas for Python, the TV series in one area and the movies in another? Annoying. How about my wrestling PPV's? Those are TV on DVD. Oh, they go in sports? What about my documentary "Behind the Mat"? Oh, that goes in documentaries? Or does it go in sports?

How about things off of Comedy Central, like the Pam Anderson Roast, or Patton Oswalt's stand-up show? TV on DVD? Comedy?

People have so many differing definitions as to what quallifies as whatever that this is an impossible question.

As I said, I just put everything in alphabetical order with a few excetions:

1. Over-sized items (Monty Python megaset, Complete Jeeves & Wooster, Monkees seasons 1 & 2, etc) are displayed on the top of the shelving cabinet.

2. My autographed items are displayed on the top of another shelving cabinet.

3. Rambo 2 & 3 are placed with First Blood in order to keep the trilogy together. Jason X is with the Friday the 13th movies. Freddy vs. Jason is under F, as it was considered to be a sequel of both series.
Old 07-12-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could never sort by director. I don't even know the names of a good chunk of them (like Disney films--I don't know any of the director's names offhand). I'd spend more time trying to remember these guys' names than watching their films. If I want to watch Hunchback, I go to H.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 07-12-06 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the set is a bunch of individual cases in a box, I just throw away the box and sort the movies into my collection by director. Movies in a series have their own section, and I keep them in their box no matter what. The box sets that can't be separated, whether because they're a digipack or have multiple titles on each disc, and aren't part of a series and all have different directors, I put in a separate section before the series.
Old 07-12-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you've got the boxes for Harry Potter, the Blade series, Kill Bill, etc., then it's great to put those with the collections on display. However, if the boxsets are "on display", then the single-case releases seem a little funny looking (yep, I tried it with the Potters). However, if you just have a shelf that's lined normally and don't really have any displayed boxes, then line all those suckers up and keep the collections together.

Batman Begins = see explanation above. BUT it doesn't look too bad next to the Anthology, if you wanted have the Deluxe w/ the digipack looking slipcase. I've got it in with the alphabeticals, though.

10th Kingdom = TV DVD, imho.
Old 07-12-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
I could never sort by director. I don't even know the names of a good chunk of them (like Disney films--I don't know any of the director's names offhand). I'd spend more time trying to remember these guys' names than watching their films. If I want to watch Hunchback, I go to H.
I swear by the system. If you file alphabetical by title, then that means you have to put 'Scream Three' BEFORE 'Scream Two' and that just don't make no sense, now, do it? Filing by director (and then sub-filing chronologically) puits them back in the right order. Besides, once you get used to filing your films by director (boy, those Allen, Woody MGM spines look great all together like that, don't they?) it forces you to remember director's names. That's part of the advantage.

Besides, I HATE inconsistency. If my books and albums aren't filed by title, why should my films?

Dude, if George Lucas WANTED you to file your Star Wars movies together, he would have made the effort to direct them all himself.
Old 07-12-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scream "2" would go before Scream "3" (since that's how they're titled).

I sort alphabetically by title, and chronologically for a series (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek movies).
Old 07-12-06, 09:28 AM

I take it you don't own Four Rooms? Planning on picking up Twilight Zone: The Movie if it ever comes out?

Originally Posted by LeeVing
I have jason GTH and Jason X after the boxset, i put FvJ after the nightmare boxset because I consider it a Nightmare movie more than an F13 one.
Heh, this must be a personal bias thing: I've got it exactly the opposite -- after the Friday movies, because I consider it more one of them than a Nightmare movie. (Plus, it's almost in the right alphabetical spot that way, so it's at least near where you'd expect to find it.)
Old 07-12-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually have Batman: The Movie then Anthology then Begins. Not even sure why I did this but it works for me.
Old 07-12-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
The problem i have is what to do with with the movies in the franchises that aren't in the boxset, ie. do i put Batman Begins next to the Batman Anthology?
'Batman Begins' is not the same franchise as the 'Batman Anthology'. It's the same character, but it's a relaunch of a new franchise. (If you're gonna disagree with that, does that mean the "franchise" started with Adam West?)

EDIT: Marino's post wasn't up when I *started* mine. [For what it's worth, I have 'Batman: the Movie' filed under TV, even though the TV show is unavailable.]

Do i put Jason X and Freddy Vs. Jason with the Friday the 13th boxset?
I would argue that it feels more like a 'Friday the 13th' movie than a 'Nightmare' movie, but, on the other hand, Freddy is the real villain of the piece, and it's produced by the company that did 'Nightmare' (but one of the guys who did 'Friday' is heavily involved, right?).

Truth is, they're looking to start 'Freddy vs. Jason' as it's own franchise, I think. One possible solution would be to make one shelf with 'Friday the 13th', 'Nightmare', and any other major horror franchises you have ('Halloween'?), put Friday and Nightmare next to each other, and then put it in between.

As for 'Jason X', it is a sequel to the first nine, even if they changed the title, so I don't see a problem there. I always file franchises under the title of the first movie (although, if I ever bought the Bond movies, I might make an exception). Thus, the 'Billy Jack' collection goes under 'Born Losers', 'Bride of...' and 'Beyond Re-Animator' go right after 'Re-Animator', and the Indiana Jones box set was filed under Raiders of the Lost Ark (though, within the box, I had it arranged by story chronology, since 'Temple of Doom' is a prequel) before I made a seperate section for Spielberg.

Another question i have is would you put franchises with the boxsets? For example, the Harry Potter movies, would you put those 4 in boxsets or in regular movie section? Same with the Starwars?
I generally don't like incomplete boxes, personally (unless it's something like the 'Jurassic Park' box which has the two Spielberg did, since I don't care about the rest of the franchise). I often don't keep the box unless I need it at the end of a shelf as a bookend of sorts. Whenever possible, I like to arrange the boxes so that I can see the individual spines, rather than the giant box spine. So it's not an issue for me.

And i have one question about TV on DVD, where would i put things like 10th Kingdom or The Stand? In TV or Movie?

Thanks, i did search for these but didn't find a suitable answer.
Well, keep in mind, of course, that there is no "right" answer; it's whatever makes you feel like you can sift through your collection the easiest. Me personally, I usually put TV-Movies under "Movie", but TV-miniserieses under "TV", because I think of the television section similar to serial stuff.

And TV on DVD gets even worse. Monty Python - so now I have to have 2 different areas for Python, the TV series in one area and the movies in another? Annoying.
That would be. That's not what I do. Wherever something started, that's where I put them. Thus, 'Serenity' is filed after "Firefly" in the TV section, 'South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut' goes in between seasons 3 & 4 of "South Park", all the Ali G discs I have are arranged by release under "A" (treating "Da" as if it's the article "The"). 'Run Ronnie Run' is after "Mr. Show", which is then directly followed by 'Tenacious D', because that was a spin-off.

And, with Monty Python, I did two things; I took the huge box of 'Flying Circus' and broke it down by season, into three 4-disc cases and one 2-disc. I stuck the two German episodes into one 2-disc. The 'Hollywood Bowl' disc and the 'Potpourri of Python' disc were seperated single discs. Then, I put every Monty Python disc into that big box, arranged chronologically ('Flying Circus' series 1, 'Flying Circus' series 2, 'And Now For Something Completely Different', 'Flying Circus' series 3, 'Fliegender Zirkus', 'Flying Circus' series 4, 'Holy Grail', 'Life of Brian', 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl', 'Meaning of Life', and 'Potpourri of Python'). It's really simple that way. Get the 4-disc cases that are roughly the same size as two singles.

If you file alphabetical by title, then that means you have to put 'Scream Three' BEFORE 'Scream Two' and that just don't make no sense, now, do it?
I imagine that limiting yourself to one rule applied blanketedly to all films wouldn't make sense regardless of what the rule was. Series get filed together, in chronological order (usually by story ... but if it's a director, I keep it chronological by release, even though I still file the sequels together ... which is to say, my Spielberg collection goes, after '1941': 'Raiders', 'Temple of Doom', 'Lost Crusade', 'bonus disc', 'E.T.', 'Color Purple', 'Jurassic Park', 'Lost World', 'Schindler's List'...).

When I get five films by a director, I generally pull them off the main shelf and file it in the directors' section, which is mostly alphabetical by director, and chronological within the director (due to a limitation in shelf space, Chaplin and Hitchcock are off on another shelf). I thought about using your method, but, for instance, it doesn't simplify things (for me) to have to remember that 'Wayne's World' is directed by Penelope Spheeris (who I doubt I will ever buy another film by), find the S section, figure out [I guess by the placement of 'Star Trek V' directed by Shatner?] where "SPH" is without direct visual prompting (since the director's name is rarely, if ever, on the spine), finally track it down, then say "Oh, wait, that's not the one that Chris Walken was in," and then have to start the process over by remembering who directed 'Wayne's World II' (and that I don't know off-hand, except that I know I don't own any other films by him)...

To me, that's a process. That's not to say it's wrong, because this is all personal; what makes it easiest for us to get the movies. Hell, I still haven't put 'Goonies' on the shelf (the case is sticky), but I know exactly where it is if I want to watch it.

Besides, I HATE inconsistency. If my books and albums aren't filed by title, why should my films?
You should consistently file everything you file in the method that makes it easiest to find things within that file. Applying things that are less efficient for the sake of deeper consistency than that seems weird to me.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 07-12-06 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wergo
I swear by the system. If you file alphabetical by title, then that means you have to put 'Scream Three' BEFORE 'Scream Two' and that just don't make no sense, now, do it? Filing by director (and then sub-filing chronologically) puits them back in the right order. Besides, once you get used to filing your films by director (boy, those Allen, Woody MGM spines look great all together like that, don't they?) it forces you to remember director's names. That's part of the advantage.

Dude, if George Lucas WANTED you to file your Star Wars movies together, he would have made the effort to direct them all himself.
As already said, '2' would come before '3'. Even so, why be so strict? Even if it was titled 'Two' and then 'Three', wouldn't some common sense of placing them in the proper order just be fine? If your collection is alphabetical, then Scream 'Two' and Scream 'Three' would still be next to each other, just out of order. That's a bit silly. Also, I think it's also silly to think that that a creator of some franchise of films, would even think about how you file your DVD's at home by who directed the film and what-not.

When you do films by director, you again run into the problem where some films aren't placed together, and you may not remember every single directors name, then you have to look through your collection which may be an inconveniance depending on how many DVD's you have. Where in alphabetical order, you don't have to go through all that trouble.

Alphabetical in my opinion, is the best way to go. What you do after that point can vary, if you keep TV stuff away from movies, or if you put movies together no matter what the name if it's part of a series, etc. All that stuff is all personal preference.... as is everything I realize but I really don't see the sense in keeping things out of alphabetical order. It's not like books where you can read the author on the spine.
Old 07-12-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The simple one first: my TV collection is divided into two alpha selections, with all shows designed to be a series (NYPD Blue, Action, etc.) in one section, and all TV movies and miniseries (Angels in America, The Stand,) in another.

Franchise box sets (Die Hard, Godfather, etc,) are in the general movie alpha shelving, but box sets of genre/star/director (Film Noir, Bette Davis, Busby Berkeley, Tennessee Williams, etc.) are separate.

As for filing by director in general - good luck. Why not by year of release ("ah, vintage 1955 - a robust year!").... or better yet, my running time ("yeah, I wanna watch a short movie tonight").
Old 07-12-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One problem which occurred to me was the 'Alien' Quadrilogy, where there are three directors I collect involved. With that, I also bought the standalone single disc of the first 'Alien', because I wanted the solo Ridley Scott commentary... so I have a three-disc case with that and two documentaries which weren't in that box set ... that's filed under Ridley Scott. As for Cameron, I have five movies he directed, but pulling him would (a) stick the Quadrilogy under "Cameron" and (b) leave the question of what to do with 'Terminator 3'... so I leave him in the main section. I pull the directors more for shelf space than organization; spreading 20 Robert Altman movies through the general alphabetized section takes up a lot of space, but also seems to dilute the collection a little, so I pulled them long ago.
Old 07-12-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
or better yet, my running time ("yeah, I wanna watch a short movie tonight").
This is funny because some of my book shelves are actually arranged by size. Some of the boards are warped, and as they get to the edge, there's very little height, so I had to pull all the shortest paperbacks and stick them on that side, leaving little order other than a general "author" collection.
Old 07-12-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
As has already been said, the best answer is put them in whatever order makes sense to you. Like for me, the only reason I keep movies, tv and music DVDs separate from each other is because I think they each have their own purpose. I initially had TV in with DVD, but then I realized there were times when I wanted to watch just an episode or two of a TV show, as opposed to watching a full movie. After having to single out what TV on DVD I had, I realized it would make sense to put TV in its own section. So, if I want something quick, I look at TV, if I want something longer, I look at movies, if I want to watch some music, I look at music. I'm not saying everyone should do what I do, I'm just saying organize by what makes sense, and try not to over analyze.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.