Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Superman: The Movie Video Transfer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superman: The Movie Video Transfer

Is it meant to be so washed out? I have the DVD-18 Special Edition and every review of the disc I read before purchasing would just rave on and on about how the colours are so rich and how the picture transfer was near-perfect.

Did I get a dud? My blacks are a shade of light grey, Superman's suit looks sky blue with a pink cape. There seems to be a washing of white light over everything that blurs edges and makes the entire picture look terribly soft -- hardly vivid, rich colours. Is this how the film looked during its theatrical run? I can not, for the life of me comprehend how this can be considered a good transfer?
Old 07-08-06, 06:50 AM

I think it was filmed that way, because evertytime I have seen it on TV it also looks this way.
Old 07-08-06, 07:39 AM

Pink cape? Maybe you should have your television calibrated. The colors on Superman's costume are vivid on the DVD.
Old 07-08-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
I can not, for the life of me comprehend how this can be considered a good transfer?
Bear in mind too that what was considered a spectacular transfer in 2001 isn't going to be held to the same standards in 2006.
Old 07-08-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patrick Mirza
Pink cape? Maybe you should have your television calibrated. The colors on Superman's costume are vivid on the DVD.
Ditto.

For a 1977(?) movie released on DVD in 2001, it's a pretty damn good transfer.

Will the SE coming out later this year have a new transfer?
Old 07-08-06, 08:35 AM
Banned

Sounds like it's your t.v. settings.
Old 07-08-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it's my TV settings. Firstly, the picture looks the same on my computer as it does on my TV's. Secondly, I have a few other DVDs whose original movie is around the age of Superman.

The Godfather, Part II
Apocalypse Now Redux
Star Wars Episode IV
Jaws

And all of these movies have rich, deep colour reproduction. Superman's "Special Edition" has washed out colours. Maybe describing the cape as pink was a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's definately not bright red as it should be. I found a few screenshots on the net which look like what my DVD looks like:

As you can see the picture seems as if the camera is looking through a haze, and superman's suit looks decidedly washed out.
Old 07-08-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Pink cape? Yah sure you got the right Superman video?
Old 07-08-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
As you can see the picture seems as if the camera is looking through a haze, and superman's suit looks decidedly washed out.
First of all, those pictures don't really help prove your point, because I think they look just fine. Second of all, the "haze" is intentional, as stated in the extras on side 2 of the DVD.
Old 07-08-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The video never bothered me. What bothers me about that DVD-18 SE is a common DVD-18 problem (it freezes up/sputters).
Old 07-08-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Bear in mind too that what was considered a spectacular transfer in 2001 isn't going to be held to the same standards in 2006.
Yeah, there's some stuff that looks washed out but it can't just be the DVD transfer. Yeah, they'll probably really digitally remaster the hell out of it and release it in a marvelous looking edition and all but, the actual screen image itself is a pretty marvelous looking picture for a film of its age, and for a DVD from 2001.
Old 07-08-06, 09:24 PM

Do you have the original laserdisc version to compare it to? The difference is night and day. His costume looked green and pink on the laserdisc.
Old 07-08-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tikigod
Do you have the original laserdisc version to compare it to? The difference is night and day. His costume looked green and pink on the laserdisc.
Well, the green was because blue wouldn't have worked because the special effects shots were against bluescreen, so for the restoration they changed it to the proper blue color.
Old 07-08-06, 11:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, the green was because blue wouldn't have worked because the special effects shots were against bluescreen, so for the restoration they changed it to the proper blue color.

This has always stuck me as odd. Why didn't they use greenscreen so as not to interfere with the blue suit?
Old 07-09-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Green screens weren't used then; they're largely a product of digital technology, which can be used to remove any chosen color. For example, in some cases, orange screens are used.

But when "Superman: The Movie" was made, the process was optical in nature, and for various technical reasons, blue was the required color.

This is a bit of an over-simplification, but you get the idea.
Old 07-09-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Other than a bit better compression, I'd be surprised if Superman looks much different than the current version. Didn't they do restoration work for the current version? I'm looking more forward to see how much better Superman II looks and sounds (current sound track is so anemic).
Old 07-09-06, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they should both take a leaf out of Lucas' book in terms of print restoration and have Supes I and II released as 2-disc sets sometime near the release of Returns on DVD.
Old 07-09-06, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they should both take a leaf out of Lucas' book in terms of print restoration and have Supes I and II released as 2-disc sets sometime near the release of Returns on DVD.
I think they should go all out and release multiple discs for every film in the series. I think 14 or so should cover it.
Old 07-09-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I never really got a definitive answer ... Superman's transfer is supposed to look as bad as it does, correct? that's the way the picture would have looked in theatres, washed out and hazy?
Old 07-09-06, 02:01 PM

Stop saying washed out! It's not washed out.

That's the look of Geoffrey Unsworth's photography. It's intentional and, I think, absolutely beautiful. Superman II looks the same way because he shot most of it prior to his death.
Old 07-09-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no reason I should stop saying washed out when IMHO it is washed out and not at all "beautiful". But if it's intentional, then that's all I wanted to know.
Old 07-09-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll side with the people who think it looks beautiful.
Old 07-09-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
There's no reason I should stop saying washed out when IMHO it is washed out and not at all "beautiful".
The style of the movie has a deliberately hazy glow to emphasize the fantasy aspects of the story. It was also useful in blending the special effects of the time. You may not like it, but it's the way the movie is meant to look.

While we're on the subject, The Matrix is supposed to be greenish, Saving Private Ryan is intentionally grainy, and Schindler's List isn't very colorful.
Old 07-09-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
While we're on the subject, The Matrix is supposed to be greenish, Saving Private Ryan is intentionally grainy, and Schindler's List isn't very colorful.
Damn. I had my television calibrated so that The Matrix is regular tones. No wonder the rest of my DVDs look like they are on acid.

Old 07-09-06, 09:11 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no reason I should stop saying washed out when IMHO it is washed out and not at all "beautiful". But if it's intentional, then that's all I wanted to know.
Geoffrey Unsworth (along with many cinematographers in the late '60s and throughout the '70s) used heavy diffusion filters on the camera lens to give it that hazy (not washed out; I'm with those who maintain you're using poor word-choice) look. Have you seen films like BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, or M*A*S*H, even most of the Tatooine footage in the original STAR WARS? This look was, to one degree or another, the standard back in the day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.